Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like Peter Caines YouTube channel. Even if you don't agree with all his methods his channel is such a wealth of information. He has over 1700 videos and posts daily. Lots about nutrition and dog care as well. He's also hilarious, quite the comedian.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I'm not sure there is a book and youtube channel combo - at least not one I can think of.

Is there something specific you're looking for?

A few books I like / have heard good reviews of
The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens
How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor

Some youtube channels:
Kikopup
Donna Hill
Domesticated Manners
Training Positive

Also, Training and Behavior Stickies

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want something that help me teach my dog obedience. Walk right next to me, top stop doing what he is doing when I say so, basically to wait for me while I open the doors and walk up stairs. I do not want the dog to get over excited every time get near him.
What I meant with book and combo video, is that sometimes one may buy a book. Read the instructions, an still not perfectly understand how to do the tricks. So you use a video as a visual reference. So maybe there is a good book, video combo that follow similar methodologies.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You might look at Dogwise for books with accompanying CDs or Tawzer Dog for CDs you can rent.

I'd very strongly recommend in-person training (class or private) if you have that available to you. Having someone who can coach you in person is invaluable. Finding a Trainer, Behavior Consultant, or Behaviorist

ETA: Is this for your akitas? If that's the case, I can't express how strongly I recommend an in-person assessment with a qualified vet behaviorist or behavior consultant.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I love Kikopup, she's a great trainer, and her youtube videos are very easy to understand.

As far as books go...

Don't Shoot the Dog Karon Pryor

Culture Clash Jean Donaldson

Other end of the leash Patricia McConnel

Oh behave! Jean Donaldson

Controlled Unleashed Leslie Mcdevitt (for reactive dogs)

Mine! By Jean Donaldson (for resource guarding)

Dogs, a Startling New Understanding Of Canine Origin and Behavior By Raymond and Lorna Coppinger

The Power of Positive Dog Training By Pat Miller

For the love of a Dog Patricia Mcconnell

How to Behave so your Dog Behaves Dr. Sophia Yin DVM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am usins 101 Dog Tricks. 10 minute session 3 days a week. My dog already do 2 tricks lol. Any suggestions on how to train him? Format? A little longer maybe? Walks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts