Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two chihuahua-Xs. Brahma is 9 years old, 8lbs. Darshan is 8 years old, 12lbs. When I adopted them, both had dental problems, especially Darshan, and I've had to get his teeth cleaned by the vet a few times. This summer, his gums got so infected he had to have a couple teeth extracted. Luckily Brahma's teeth are not as bad, however I cannot have them cleaned because he has a heart condition and the anesthetics are too dangerous. So it's important I keep their teeth healthy!

I've tried raw hides and bones, but they don't like them! I tried various types and sizes, no luck. They will chew for no more than 30 seconds and lose interest. They don't like chew toys either. But they LOVE dentastix! They go nuts over them, and chew them until they are completely eaten up!

Is dentastix good for teeth cleaning, and is it healthy? I haven't tried Greenies yet, is it worth trying Greenies? Which is better for teeth cleaning and which is heathier?

·
Banned
711 Posts
Personally, I don't like either one. The ingredients are horrid and neither one is made by a company I would wish to support. I alternate between Blue Bones and Zuke's bones depending on what is on sale, and they both work great.

But if I had to choose between one of the two, I'd choose the Dentastix.

Reactions: crock

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Neither are very healthy, and neither work well enough to keep the teeth clean. The only things that really works are brushing and raw bones.

This is my dog, Nola. I've brushed her teeth everyday since I got her, and she's 2 years old now.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't heard of Blue Bones and Zuke's brands before, where do you buy them?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I prefer natural products for chews, but regular brushing is going to be the most important preventative, especially for small dogs. If your dogs don't like regular dog tooth brushes, you can start them with those rubber-like finger tooth brushes. Most tolerate those very well. Just introduce with lots of treats and do brief sessions without your dogs getting stressed.

I just ordered our first set of antler chews--those are supposed to work similarly to raw bones. We've used raw bones in the past (and still do on occassion).

Also, what kind of food do you feed? IME, there is much more buildup on poorer quality foods, ie with corn in them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Quick question about bones, are nylabones effective for keeping teeth clean?

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Good question, Aclarino! I look forward to responses. IME, my dogs don't chew on nylabones in the same way that they do bones. Less contact with the sides of their teeth so less opp for cleaning. We have about five different styles of the bones, too, so I don't think it is a design thing.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Yup, we got our first (and so far only) one last summer.

I used the inedible Nylabones for my puppy when he was teething, but I've never used either the edible or inedible ones for the purposes of teething clean. I don't think that' be able to dig into the inedible ones enough to actually clean their teeth, and the edible ones have as bad ingredients as the Greenies and Dentastix.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I tried Nylabones for my oldest Dachshund, Boston. She's very hand shy, so I wanted something to clean her teeth that wasn't food. I didn't see any change.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Oh okay. Thanks everyone. I brush maggie's teeth every few days...I need to make it more of a habit...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts