Dog Forum banner

What kind of fastener do prefer for your dog's apparel?

• velcro

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • zipper

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • snaps

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • magnet

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting up a dog apparel line and would like to know your favorite method for fasteners. Velcro, snaps, parachute clips, zippers (would have an extra flap to cut down on fur getting stuck), magnets, etc.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Personally I like the velcro on my GSD's jacket (-) only because I can't find a size of other jacket that fits her well. BUT with a high shedding breed like mine, the velcro gets gummed up. I would much prefer a zip, but haven't found one that fits.

I have tried on the Hurtta rain jacket (http://www.hurttacollection.com/en/outdoors-en/products/rain-clothing/raincoat/) and it fit really nicely with the buckle. The material of the coat was just not durable enough for me.

I really like the looks of these, but have yet to try them on my dog: Chilly Dogs - Outdoor gear for Active Dogs - Dog Coats

I'm not sure what kind of clothing you are making, but jackets and sweaters are the only thing I use personally!

·
Registered
375 Posts
For small dogs and average dogs most any fastener will do well. But for those of us with "ripped" doggies sweaters and jackets need to be roomier in the neck and shoulders number 1, velcro is hard with our dogs because they can pop it open leaping or even running.

It would be nice to have a fit rating like Dr Foster and Smith used to have. One letter would be universal fit, one letter would be for more narrow fit like greyhounds, and one letter would be a roomier chest and neck and larger sizes for bulls, rotties and bigger dogs.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Velcro or snaps. Many of our dog jackets have velcro, but what I don't like about them is that a) the velcro catches hair/fuzz in the wash and b) some dogs are uncomfortable with the sound. I do like they are quick to put on/take off and are highly adjustable.

I'd choose velcro over zippers (I wouldn't take the chance of fur catching) and over magnets (I can't imagine that staying for our active dogs).

Snaps, like button/rivet snaps, would be a hassle on a large dog and not very adjustable. However, if you mean surcingles with adjustable straps, I'd go for those, if you're making blanket style coats. Also for the latter, like on some horse blankets, there are buckles to adjust/keep the fit with a quick fastener like a bolt snap or a push bar snap hook. I love those features.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.