Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Ive exhausted my option for curbing my dog's barking habits (she barks in the middle of night when I put her in the kennel to sleep)

I already have an electronic shock collar which works fine but only works with the remote, and since I dont want to have to always be standing closeby her to correct her if she barks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me an electronic shock collar which either has an automatic shock function, which works when the dog barks automatically by itself, OR one that has both manual correction via a remote and additionally an option for automatic correction

Thanks in advance for your time and feedback

cheers

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
She sounds like she isnt crate trained, she needs to learn that it is her safe place and you wont achieve that with a shock collar. You cant punish anxiety out of her.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I am fairly sure that the manufacture of those is illegal. An automatic shocker has the potential to be horribly, horribly, horribly abused if it is left on or forgotten on the dog, the dog is lost/abandoned with the collar on, etc. I have seen automatic citronella collars, automatic beeping collars, automatic vibrating collars-- but never an automatic shocking collar (save for an electric fence system, which, unlike a bark collar, is not going to shock the dog into oblivion if the animal is crying in distress). And then there is the eventual obsoletion: if you put a shock collar on a dog and forget about it, so will they, eventually, unless you turn the setting up. This phenomenon is called punishment callus.

What breed is your dog? How old are they? Do you think that the barking is triggered by a noise or disturbance they are hearing, or is the dog simply having trouble sleeping through the night? Is there a specific time during which the barking occurs?

My own dog is extremely given to alert-bark by nature, and we generally put him upstairs to sleep (often in one of our bedrooms) so that he isn't set off by noisy pedestrians or vehicles outside. In other cases (usually early morning barking) the dog is not tired enough before bed: either not getting exercised/mentally stimulated well enough during the day, or is being put to bed too early.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I don't think you'll find an automatic shock collar, those are illegal because they are too unpredictable and can hurt or kill your dog. If your dog is nervous or upset about being in the crate, shocking him won't help.

Have you tried doing other methods besides the shock collar? I have some ideas, if you want to try a few.

Perhaps a radio might hep, I sleep with a TV on. The noise helps me relax.

Having a favorite teddy, toy or blanket might help make it feel a little more like home too.

Dry runs before bed time might save you sleepless nights. If you make your pup nap in the crate while you're home and active, he won't associate it with being crated for 6-8 hours at a time.

I'm not sure where the crate is located, but putting him in your room at night so that he can smell you might soothe him too. Dogs like to be next to their humans.

Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,779 Posts
You do realize that you are teaching her that whatever is causing her to bark is something to be greatly feared? She sees it, and barks to drive it away, in turn she is shocked by it. You may succeed in teaching her to not bark but she may decide to bite instead.

Your best bet is going to be management and to teach her that what she is barking at is the source of good things and she has no need of barking at them. If she's barking because she's upset that she's in the kennel then some crate training is in order, not some shock training. http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
This is exactly why shock collars should not be manufactured or sold to anyone.

We now have a society where people think it is entirely normal and fine to punish their dogs with electric shocks (for pete's sake!) for normal dog behavior, such as expressing loneliness or anxiety by barking.

The world has gone insane.

·
Super Moderator
3,673 Posts
Hi Cornelius,

Welcome to the Dog Forum. I really do hope that you will find some help on this site. DaisyLynn as well as others have given you some great suggestions. I found that using a ThunderShirt helped curb my dog's separation anxiety, and I'd recommend that you give one a try.

As Tess has strongly conveyed, a shock collar is a rather barbaric way to treat your dog, and, in fact, advising members on the use of shock collars is forbidden on this site.

I think it would be more helpful if you could give us a better understanding of your dog's needs and what other methods you have tried to curb her barking and help her with her anxiety.

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
I want to remind everyone of the rules here:

1) Be nice. If you can't be nice, be civil. If you can't be civil, please don't post.
Even if you disagree with another member, you can express your opinion in a way that won't cause hard feelings. Please do so. If somebody doesn't follow this rule and is mean or insulting, please notify a moderator and the moderator will address the issue.

Please be nice and keep this thread on topic! Thank you.

That being said, this is a Positive Reinforcement Dog Forum, we do not allow anyone to recommend aversive training tools.

http://www.dogforum.com/dogforum-community-rules/forum-rules-guidelines-training-behavior-please-23692/

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Seriously, why would you cause your dog pain when she is learning! With respect, I do not wish to cause offence, but please stop hurting your dog, she doesn't know why the pain happens, just that it happens! My dog can be a pain in the ass sometimes when she constantly tries to eat poop, but I could never cause her pain to stop her doing this, I know it could work, but for me it would never be an option. Your post made me so sad :(

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Cornelious92, just wanted to give you a few reward based options to consider that may well help resolve the barking problem!:)

If you're into technology then this is awesome!
It has all sort of options including a crate or kennel attachment and dispensing food only when the dog is quiet. If barking the food stops. You would be able to set ot up and just leave. The machine would do the training for you. ;)
Pet Tutor® - Smart Technology for Positive Training | Smart Animal Training Systems...

Also our crate training sticky and a video.
http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts