Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little backstory. We have two dogs. Both adopted, fixed, and were previously housetrained. We adopted them a month apart from each other but adopted the first one 3 months ago.

Dog 1: 11 month old male Dachshund Mix. Submissive.
Dog 2: 3 Year old female Dachshund. Displays alpha behavior.

Recently We've been finding pee in a few random spots in our apartment. Over the past two weeks we've found pee in #1's doggy bed, his doggy crate, and on our bed. He's really good at telling us he needs to go outside if we haven't already taken him-- which we do regularly. #2 is very territorial. She's the kind of dog who will eat her treat and then take his if not stopped, will walk up and get right in the way of the human paying attention to #1 as if to say "pet me instead," insist on sleepin in the bed with us (#1 does sleep with us sometimes, but our bed is #2's primary spot), and sometimes she will sleep in his doggy bed-- occasionally will climb right in there WITH him.

2 out of the 3 pees are in his spots so my wife seems to think it was him. but I think it's her way of trying to mark territory.

So my question is this: How do we determine who the culprit is and how do we break the pattern?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
A few things you can try:

Get both dogs checked for a UTI as changes in potty habits is the primary symptom.

Take the dogs out on a regular schedule; don't wait for them to tell you. You will probably need to begin by taking them out more often than they really need to go just to get them accustomed to the idea.

Review House Training How Tos: Basically, keep eyes on them and prevent opportunities for accidents. If you leave them, I'd recommend crating or otherwise confining (to prevent accidents), but at the very least separate them to you'll be able to identify which dog is having accidents.

Clean soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle.

Teach dog #2 manners so that dog #1 can feel safe.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dog #2--I would bet money on it.
I think you have a very good analysis of the situation, but using the term "alpha" behavior is not appropriate. She is acting in a territorial way because she is nervous about her place and resources with a new dog around. Is there any way you can reassure her so that she is more comfortable? You may need to feed the dogs separately, have only her on the bed, keep her away from #1's crate, etc..Give her some alone time with you now and then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts