Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this would be considerd a training thing, (read below)

When you show your dog, (lets say) a peice of watermelon, would your dog take a bite of it, or lick it.

Sparky licks it, and I don't like that, because if I offer it to him i'd like it to not be 'drained'.
I'm trying to teach him a 'bite it' command. Obviously used just on food and I wont use it for evil. :whistle:

So would your dog lick it or take a chunk ?

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
I think this would be considerd a training thing, (read below)

When you show your dog, (lets say) a peice of watermelon, would your dog take a bite of it, or lick it.

Sparky licks it, and I don't like that, because if I offer it to him i'd like it to not be 'drained'.
I'm trying to teach him a 'bite it' command. Obviously used just on food and I wont use it for evil. :whistle:

So would your dog lick it or take a chunk ?
i'm not sure i understand what you are asking. drained?
when i show my dog something that i am not sure he likes, like a bit of apple, he will sniff it and lick it. if he wants it he will bite it. when i've shown him things i don't know that he likes but assume he wants, like the first time i gave him liver, he bites it right off (liver just smells so dang good:D)
my dog is a good size too, so he can bite stuff more easily, i have found that some little dogs take a bit longer to actually bite into a treat and will often lick at them for a bit (depending on the dog and the treat)....

does that help?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I teach "take it" ("bite it" sounds...I dunno...evil...like you said) with a toy. Its not hard to get a dog to bite food (unless is som'thing they don't like...)

why watermellon? (theres an echo in here!)
LOL I didn't even think to say this but I use "take it" for everything...when I feed my dogs they sit, leave it, then take it. for treats take it. toys, take it, etc

·
Registered
60 Posts
my houndx will eat watermelon and she licks it then after its not so wet will eat it. Noel (bloodhound) wont take anything in her mouth food, toys ect. i am trying for open so it makes it a lil less messy for the vet to worm her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.