Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

My brother got a Boxer German Shepherd mix this winter as a pup, named her 'Cuda (Not after the fish, after the muscle car of course :eyeroll:). Unfortunately, Cuda and of lesser importance, my brother, are both leaving me in a few weeks. I've always loved dogs, and Cuda is a blast to have, I'll miss her a lot. Beings how I was the one that did a large portion of puppy training and re-training (My brother had a strange way of undoing what I did), I think I'm ready to have a dog of my own. I'm not familiar with many breeds, and I don't have a lot of money to go buy a purebred hands-down-hottie of a German Shepherd or something, I'm just looking for pointers. Here's a little more precise information about what I'm looking for in a dog.

I have an inclination towards larger dogs (Cuda is around 75lbs, and I love her size), but I'm not against having a small one either.

I'd prefer if it didn't shed a lot, and it will come to college with me, so it can't shed too much.

This dog doesn't have to be good with children, although that would be a plus, as my nieces and nephews are my pride and joy, and I'm sure if it lives past 15 years of age, I'll have my own kids. :rolleyes:

I need it TRAINABLE. I'm sure that this is more of a dog-to-dog thing, but breeds do have a little influence on it.

It doesn't have to behave well around other animals/dogs. I just want it to listen, so I can be sure it doesn't go on the attack.

Beings how I will be going to college next year, I probably won't want a dog with a lot of energy. I'm a very calm, relaxed person, and my dog needs to reflect that. The only problem I have with Cuda is that she always has to be doing something. She might grow out of it, but... I doubt it. It's just her. I want a dog that's fine with chilling on the couch with me for the evening.

I have lots of property, and love being outside with Cuda, so exercise wont' be an issue at all.

Well, that was a long list, but for anyone who's made it all the way to here, my most heartfelt thanks, and any input is greatly appreciated.

-Travis

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bullmastiff...if you don't mind the drooling.

But anyway, if you don't mind about getting a mutt, and not a purebred dog, why not just go to the pound and see if there's a dog that suits your needs best that you can rescue?

21 Posts
bouvier des flanders hypoallergenic large protective very intelligent little to no shedding stands out in a crowd so cos no one knows much about them. very lazy in the house so needs little excercise hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the contributions so far.

I NEVER thought of a greyhound. I'll be looking for those for sure. I think the Retrievers shed a little too much for me. The long hair is, well, annoying at the least. Never heard of that last dog, but I'm looking it up as we speak. Will be visiting a few animal shelters over the weekend.

I just looked up on pet finder a dog right by me at the local shelter actually. She's a Pit Bull / Boxer mix. Beautiful white dog with a brown eye patch, still young, says she has a very calm and loving demeanor. Gonna go see her today for sure.

Thanks again for the help so far, any other suggestions are much appreciated too!

-Travis

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The shelter's only open 9-11AM... Grrr...... Will be looking at her first thing Monday morning.

-Travis

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Lol...dont' shelter hours suck?

I say a mixed breed with a personality you like is the best way to go...but if I were to name a breed I second the greyhound suggestion.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I also like the Greyhound suggestion, or really any large sighthound or sighthound mix :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's so funny that people are saying greyhound because when i read your post, that was the first breed that came to mind. They love a daily walk/run, but are huge couch potatoes. Large, generally mellow and friendly. They aren't brilliant pupils like a doberman or german shephard, but also won't be as likely to get bored and cause trouble.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hello all.

My brother got a Boxer German Shepherd mix this winter as a pup, named her 'Cuda (Not after the fish, after the muscle car of course :eyeroll:). Unfortunately, Cuda and of lesser importance, my brother, are both leaving me in a few weeks. I've always loved dogs, and Cuda is a blast to have, I'll miss her a lot. Beings how I was the one that did a large portion of puppy training and re-training (My brother had a strange way of undoing what I did), I think I'm ready to have a dog of my own. I'm not familiar with many breeds, and I don't have a lot of money to go buy a purebred hands-down-hottie of a German Shepherd or something, I'm just looking for pointers. Here's a little more precise information about what I'm looking for in a dog.

I have an inclination towards larger dogs (Cuda is around 75lbs, and I love her size), but I'm not against having a small one either.

I'd prefer if it didn't shed a lot, and it will come to college with me, so it can't shed too much.

This dog doesn't have to be good with children, although that would be a plus, as my nieces and nephews are my pride and joy, and I'm sure if it lives past 15 years of age, I'll have my own kids. :rolleyes:

I need it TRAINABLE. I'm sure that this is more of a dog-to-dog thing, but breeds do have a little influence on it.

It doesn't have to behave well around other animals/dogs. I just want it to listen, so I can be sure it doesn't go on the attack.

Beings how I will be going to college next year, I probably won't want a dog with a lot of energy. I'm a very calm, relaxed person, and my dog needs to reflect that. The only problem I have with Cuda is that she always has to be doing something. She might grow out of it, but... I doubt it. It's just her. I want a dog that's fine with chilling on the couch with me for the evening.

I have lots of property, and love being outside with Cuda, so exercise wont' be an issue at all.

Well, that was a long list, but for anyone who's made it all the way to here, my most heartfelt thanks, and any input is greatly appreciated.

-Travis
I am a college student myself. I have 4 dogs, 2 chihuahuas, a beagle mix, and a lab/border collie. I agree with the golden retriever suggestion. They can be very relaxed, easy to train, loyal and one of the best family dogs. GL on your search :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jack Russells, the ones I own(ed) shed really badly even with daily grooming but they are a bundle of mischief and fun. Since you thought about Greyhounds (BIG dog), why not consider a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They live happily in an appartment and are quite content whether you exercise them or not. They are good with children too (a friend owns one and has a baby). If you think in these terms however, you might need to get a bigger car!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Jack Russells, the ones I own(ed) shed really badly even with daily grooming but they are a bundle of mischief and fun. Since you thought about Greyhounds (BIG dog), why not consider a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They live happily in an appartment and are quite content whether you exercise them or not. They are good with children too (a friend owns one and has a baby). If you think in these terms however, you might need to get a bigger car!
I was watching Dogs 101 and the Rhodesian Ridgeback was on there and the owners said they need vigorous exercise. I've never owned one though so I don't know. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Ridgies are a working/hunting breed. It would be pretty hard (and cramped) to keep them in an apartment. They need to be worked daily and heavily from what I understand. They also don't have a first time owner temprament IMO.

I still vote mutt from the pound!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rhodesian Ridgeback Club Zagreb - Breed Characteristics
INTELLIGENT AND STRONG-WILLED

It is naturally lazy and capable of endless naps, not using a bit of energy more than it is necessary. Sometimes it forgets its usual lightness and stealth, and seems like it is moving through the objects, instead around them. In dog shows it often acts lethargic and bored, unlike other breeds. But it will exuberantly present itself in all its beauty, galloping on a parking lot - after the show. One should never expect a Ridgeback to run around on its own or play fetch while the owner rests. It will not move an inch unless its owner moves, too. All this might seem like a departure from the dynamism described earlier. But, no matter how much such “outbursts” might cause owner’s anger or laughter, all this is part of the temperament which sometimes conceals the high intelligence of these dogs. Stubbornness, strong will, physical strength, and talent to do as it pleases must always be taken into account when handling this dog.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
yes and the same site itterated repeatedly that this is strong willed stuborn dog. Which IMO is not a good choice for a novice handler.

Primitive breeds are also notoriously difficult to train. I believe the OP listed "trainablity" as a requirement.

stubornness, strong will, physical strength and talent to do what it pleases must always be taken into account when handling this dog
not som'thing I recomend for a 12 year old :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Why a Rhodesian Ridgeback

My friend's Rhodesian Ridgeback is extremely placid. He is exactly as the breeders describe them. They don't move unless you move. If you take them for a jog, they will happily go along. I looked at buying one a while ago, but on a visit to a shelter, found a mixed breed 8 week old puppy we fell in love with.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Rhodesian Ridgeback
(Ridgeback) (Lion Dog) (African Lion Hound)

These dogs have great stamina and you will tire long before they do. They need to be taken on daily, long, brisk walks or jogs. In addition, it needs plenty of opportunity to run, preferably off the leash in a safe area. If these dogs are allowed to get bored, and are not walked or jogged daily, they can become destructive and start to display a wide array of behavioral problems.

Rhodesian Ridgeback Information and Pictures, Ridgebacks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts