Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a puppy from a person on craigslist back in July. The person I adopted him from told me that she adopted him from a breeder and was told he was 75% husky and 25% lab, but she did not have any papers (does not really matter).

I do not care what breed he is for status purposes, really care because I want to study what temperaments to expect and for personal curiosity.

When he was a baby, he did resemble husky in some ways; his eyes (color), snout, nose, and color. However, as he has gotten older, he is starting to look less husky, definitely not lab because of his size.

He is 7 months and weighs 43lbs. I would consider him to be a medium size dog. He does have dew claws in front and back.

Here are pictures of him from puppy to yesterday:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7mb4JFrFP2FUmNxVzN4RmtWOW5mTVphVHlfYkJBZE5UdGZB

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7mb4JFrFP2FREhPWW9TbDY4YWM&usp=sharing

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
mixed breed puppies are like kinder surprise eggs, you never know what you gezt.
it could be, that he's filling out later.
by his looks it is not unreasonable to thing that he's a mix between a Nordic breed and a retriever breed.
It is also very likely that the parents of your dog were already mixes and that why he's a mit smaller. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think calling him a Husky/Lab mix is a fair assessment. I disagree with you that he doesn't look as much of a husky as he did as a puppy. If I saw that dog on the street I would say he was a Husky mix. His body, facial structure, tail and eyes look definitively Nordic. It's just that mixed breed dogs aren't going to look *that* much the purebreds and certain features will be dulled. I believe Lab as well. That color is not common (or one you see at all) in Huskies, but it looks very close to a yellow Lab. The ears being floppier and skull/snout being a bit bulkier make me see the Lab influence. He does look more Husky than Lab as well, so while Craigslist isn't always the most reliable source for truthful people I believe what they said!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still thought husky/lab until recently I started to hear cattle dog mix. Haha. Then I started thinking of how he tries to nip my kids to herd my kids.

I do agree that mixed breeds are surprises and it's always exciting to see what they will turn out to look like.

When I first took him to the vet, the vet saw the back dew claws and mentioned he could have been mixed with pyranese but his paws were too small (indicating he wasn't going to be large like one).

As far as Craigslist, I'm not too trusting on what I hear from people on CL. I have only adopted from shelters in the past but stumbled across this little guy and thank goodness bc once I picked him up and drove off with him, I saw over 100 fleas crawling underneath his fur. He was not living in the best conditions.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well, he looks like a husky/lab mix to me. 42 lbs for a seven-month-old of that mix doesn't sound unreasonable to me, especially as he is 3/4 husky.

·
Registered
406 Posts
He looks Husky/Lab to me, too. Maybe with a little smooth coated Border Collie thrown in. Huskies aren't all that big (no more than 23 1/2 inches and 45-60 pounds for males), so he's about the right size, too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with SueM. I'm definitely seeing the husky in his eyes and face. The lab is also visible, especially in his color. However, the first thing I thought when I saw him was that he could have Border Collie in him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts