Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

(side note) this is my first post on here.

And this has probably been asked many times over on here, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Background

I'm working as a teacher, so I am up early and back around 5-6pm most days.
I am wanting to get my puppy during summer so I will 3 months to spend as much time with him as possible before school starts back up in August. I can take him out in the morning before I leave. Im not sure being able to getting him outside during the day yet.

I have owned a dog before ( yellow lab ) passed away 4 years ago
I am not a fan of small dogs, I would prefer medium to large breed
Some breeds I've been looking at:
Greyhound, labradors, doberman pinchers, irish terriers so far

I do have a cat and my parents have a havenese so if I have chance of bring my dog over it can't be "aggressive" not my words.
OH, I do have a beach house where I go fishing during the summer or weekend trips

Are there any other breeds I should look into?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey everyone,

(side note) this is my first post on here.

And this has probably been asked many times over on here, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

Background

I'm working as a teacher, so I am up early and back around 5-6pm most days.
I am wanting to get my puppy during summer so I will 3 months to spend as much time with him as possible before school starts back up in August. I can take him out in the morning before I leave. Im not sure being able to getting him outside during the day yet.

I have owned a dog before ( yellow lab ) passed away 4 years ago
I am not a fan of small dogs, I would prefer medium to large breed
Some breeds I've been looking at:
Greyhound, labradors, doberman pinchers, irish terriers so far

I do have a cat and my parents have a havenese so if I have chance of bring my dog over it can't be "aggressive" not my words.
OH, I do have a beach house where I go fishing during the summer or weekend trips

Are there any other breeds I should look into?
To be honest they even have quizzes online to determine what breed would suit your personality best. I have a lab and love the breed, she is my third since 1999. Although she's been the only challenging personality I've had to raise lol. Whatever you do, make sure you keep them on a schedule and crate train them. That way when you go back to work they will be used to spending time in it. See if your parents can come by mid day during your work to feed lunch and let them out for potty. At nine months you can switch twice a day feeding so the mid day won't be a worry.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
917 Posts
Labs are good, adjustable dogs. Dobies are velcro dogs and I'm not sure how they would do being left alone all day. Greyhounds are laid back, I've always like them but really I don't know much about them, but they are sweet. I have no experience with Irish terriers, but I've grown up with a Scottish terrier and my mom currently has two. Terriers have a high prey drive, but my experience says that if the dog is raised with cats they are fine with them. Terriers would probably be ok left alone during the day.
What about a shelter/rescue dog? You wouldn't have to worry about taking them out as often and most adult dogs do fine eating once or twice a day unlike a puppy that needs to eat 3 or more times a day. I switch to twice a day at about six months, then cut it back to once around nine months. Others do it differently. Also you'd have to take a puppy/young dog out more often.
But you could also make a puppy work if that is what you have your heart set on.
As for breeds, how about a basset hound. They are pretty low energy and may do ok alone during the day. Shorty, my basset loves other animals. Sometimes I find him in the middle of a few cats snoring away. I highly suggest getting a life vest if you take one around water. They have a hard time swimming because of their build. Shorty always wore his vest when we would go play on the river.
Mastiff/bull mastiff. They sleep most of the day. I know another member has mastiffs here so he may be able to give you better advise than I can.

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 3 of 3 Posts