Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planing to get a new puppy. Most likely I will go for husky. What do you think? Any suggestions?:):thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is your lifestyle like?
Are you active, lazy, or moderate? Do you have time or the capacity to spend a lot of time on grooming (double coats)? Do you have a yard? Any other pets? What experience do you have with dogs?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
How much do you want your dog to be "in the game"? Huskies are known for their aloofness.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
depends what kind of dog fits your requirements.
generally huskies are active and intelligent dogs and need to get mentally and physically exercised every day.
they're not the quietest dogs I know, so your home should be okay with a bit of barking, whining, howling and all those other nice sounds they produce.
A yard isn't important, since the general exercise always should be done together with a human, but if you have one and you plan to let your dog there alone, better make it escape-proof, some huskies are real escape-artists.
they're also said to belong to the more aloof breeds, not the easiest to train since they a bit more independent-thinking and can come with preydrive.
It depends on your ability to give them what they need.
You can do that, they're awesome dogs, if not they can be pretty difficult to deal with, like any big dog with loads of power and energy.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
What do you think? Any suggestions?:):thumbsup:
We can't suggest dogs if we don't know what your lifestyle's like or what you're looking for in a dog!

Size, temperament, energy level, grooming requirements? Do you want a dog to hike with, jog with, train in dog sports, chill on the couch with? Do you live alone or with other people? Have other pets? Own or rent a home?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Many people want huskies but very few should actually get them. You might be one of them but if you work a lot, aren't very active, don't want dog hair everywhere, dont like the sound of their sharp barks and howls, don't have good dog training/handling experience and aren't going to be able dedicate a great deal of time to exercising and training your dog then a Husky is not for you. Personally I wouldn't ever want a Husky, they're too much work and I'm not a fan of their voice. But tell us more about you and we can make a better recommendation.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hi, I'm planing to get a new puppy. Most likely I will go for husky. What do you think? Any suggestions?:):thumbsup:
Have you looked into what you are getting yourself into with a husky?

The fact you simply said husky is a big clue to me that you don't know what you are talking about. You talking Alaskan Husky? Labrador Husky? Siberian Husky? Sakhalin Husky?

If you are desiring a nordic sledding dog specifically for it's intrinsic features, which of those features are you keying in on?

You realize these dogs for hundreds maybe thousands of years were let loose all summer long and had to fend for themselves, so even after about a 100 years of being bred as companions and dog-show animals, they still have a very very strong prey drive which makes them very likely to see any small mammal (like a cat) as lunch, right?

You realize that these dogs bred to pull sleds have a lot of energy and stamina, and this means you have to exercise them a lot more than many other breeds, right?

You know these dogs have a reputation for being escape artists, right? This generally means you have to invest in extra tall fences among other things

You know these dogs are extremely head-strong and independent thinkers, right? An important trait when filling the roll of lead dog where it has to be trusted to read the ice and snow and sometimes disobey the command of the musher to save the team from plunging through a snow covered crevasse. While a 100 years of breeding as a pet have dulled this somewhat, it's still fairly strong.

Now, if you are just going for the husky look I would suggest you look at the Alaskan Klee Kai. This is a companion dog that has had some sled dog mixed in and then bred to look like a miniature siberian husky. The important part is behavior wise it is much different than a husky and makes a much better companion dog for the average suburbanite. It comes in 3 sizes, with the largest being a bit smaller than a siberian husky, which also makes it a better companion dog for many people.

here's a video that I think is good at illustrating how the 'standard' (biggest) Klee Kai is compared to a Siberian Husky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU6jnlRc4m8

here is a size guide

Note, this is a rare breed because it is a fairly new breed. So these dogs aren't as easy to get as many other breeds, and can be a bit on the expensive side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts