Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm a new member, and I would like some advice on dog breeds. A few weeks ago, my family had to rehome our lab/German shepherd dog. We are, however considering getting a new dog in about a years time. Our past dog was very resistant and couldn't handle being in her kennel, and we tried all the training we could. But we want to try again next summer. We want a puppy, because puppies don't have any past memories of bad things. My family wants a yorkie. I want to know if this is the right dog for us or not. If not, what are some other breeds that are right for us? Here is information about our family:
We have a large house and a large fenced in yard.
I'm 12, and I have a brother who is 4.
We would like a small dog that is easy for me to handle.
I'm usually the last one to leave and the first home, I leave for about 6.5 hours each day.
My family has activities like my brothers soccer and I do marching band.
My parents care a lot about their house, so we need to put the dog in a kennel to avoid destruction.
I love taking dogs for long walks, and I have time every day.
I will be home for the summer most days when we get the dog, if not, my parents will.
Feel free to ask any other questions, thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Puppies are A LOT of work, you will have to train your puppy to be in a kennel. You will have to completely train the puppy and spend a lot of time with it.They don't have memory of past things, but you do have to teach them every new thing. You'll have to take him to puppy training classes, take him to the vet, feed him, and constantly watch him to make sure he isn't getting into trouble. Young kids often are so excided to get a dog, or a hamster, or whatever, and they get tired of it and let their parents take care of it. Make sure that you're talking to your family about getting a dog, and they help decide what breed.
Who's going to take care of the puppy while you are at school, you definitely can't leave him alone in a kennel every day for 6 hours. The dog can't live in the kennel. You'll have to train your puppy not to destroy your house, and be a part of the family.
Firstly, rescuing a dog or a puppy is the best option. Their are tons of dogs in shelters and rescues that need homes and will be happy to be your friend.
If you're not rescuing a dog, make sure you are getting one from a reputable breeder (not a puppy mill).

Small dogs are very energetic. They require lots of excercise. I like medium sized dogs. Goldendoodles are awesome family dogs. They mostly get along with kids and other pets. I have a medium sized doodle (he'll get 35 pounds), but there are also mini's that are smaller. They are super friendly and adorable. Here's a link to a dog breed quiz on animal planet that you can take that might help.

Dog Breed Selector : Animal Planet

I hope I helped~

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dogs are forward looking creatures. They aren't bothered by what has happened to then in the past nearly as much as humans, so I too would suggest looking for an adult dog.

True, there are some dogs that have behavioral issues because they were never trained right or might have had a bad experience. The best thing to do is to look to a rescue group and have them help match your family with a small breed of adult dog that is friendly and happy and easy to work with.

Yorkie or yorkie mix would be a fine choice. So too would a toy or miniature poodle, or a poodle mix.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Please do NOT get a Yorkie or any dog under 10 lbs if you have children under age 7 in the home. Yorkies are fragile, and can easily be injured by small children even in play, and any unpleasant experiences with kids can make them very nasty and snappy. Also, you should not get a puppy if there's no one home that often to take care of it and train it. The fact you just had to rehome a dog because it was really energetic and destructive says you probably aren't the best home for a new puppy. It's a myth that puppies are "blank slates" and have no "Bad experiences" like adult dogs. First of all, you don't get a puppy from birth, so they definitely could have bad memories of past experiences already that will change their personality! Along with that, dogs, like people have inherent personalities. Some have it in their nature to be very nice, easy dogs and they were born that way, even if they were treated bad or are older. Some puppies have it in their nature to be aggressive and difficult, even if they were raised kindly and trained. I think your family would do much better with a mature dog (2+ years) who was already housetrained and crate traine, ok with being left alone all day, used to living in a home, and with children.

When you say "kennel", do you mean a crate or that this dog will be kept outside at all times? Most small breeds (under 30 lbs) are not suited to being outside all the time and can easily get health problems or die in very cold or very hot weather. This will depend on where you live, but please keep this in mind. If you just mean a crate, that's fine. Also, I'm going to guess that your other dog was high energy, and that's why it destroyed things. I've had many other low energy dogs that were totally fine in the house and didn't destroy anything in adulthood, or were easily confined to one room with a baby gate.

Also, I disagree with the "Doodle" thing. Doodles are a fad hybrid that are often poorly bred by irresponsible breeders and can have a lot of health and personality problems. No insult to anyone who has one, but that's my experience.

Honestly I think you should go to some local shelters and see if they have anything that might work for your family. I also think a Pug, Bichon, or like someone said, Mini (not Toy, too small) Poodle might work. But I think you're still better off finding an individual dog that fits your family rather than a breed, and you're better off getting an adult.

Reactions: CatsandGreys
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.