Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok here we go... :)

*Member Introductions
*General Chat (talk about anything here)
*Pictures
*Dog Showing
*Rainbow Bridge/In Loving Memory
*Pet Tales (share stories about your pets)
*Brag Section
*Performance Sports (Discussions about Agility, Earthdog, Flyball, Lure-Coursing, Rally-O, Tracking, etc.)

If I think of some more, I'll get back to ya! :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
dog food section! (yes I'm a dog food freak...comes with working at a pet store)
toys
treats
ummmmm.......honestly you don't want to know everything...my list can go on and on and on and on

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! It won't be long before the dog forum is an active online community for dog lovers. Please tell your friends who enjoy talking about dogs about it! :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome! It won't be long before the dog forum is an active online community for dog lovers. Please tell your friends who enjoy talking about dogs about it! :)
will do! I'll mention it to my co-workers also. Not sure if they would join but it's worth asking at least.

·
Registered
36 Posts
id like to see a link back to the HF on here. like how theres a link to the dog forum on the HF boards...id like to see that here for the HF.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, there definitely will be. This place is still in its infancy, though, and we want to see it grow into a community in its own right for dog lovers. :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
can i make an observation/ suggestion?

The "puppies for sale" forum is a HUGE turnoff. Most avid enthusiasts are very against online puppy ads... JMHO.

maybe a "puppy help" forum would be better.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
can i make an observation/ suggestion?

The "puppies for sale" forum is a HUGE turnoff. Most avid enthusiasts are very against online puppy ads... JMHO.

maybe a "puppy help" forum would be better.
I said that when I first joined, nothing puts me off more than puppy sales on forums. I support rescue but dont like to see the sales side. Im all for suggesting who to buy from, who to stay away from, and resent puppy farmers and bybs.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. I'll get rid of that forum now.

I renamed it "Puppy Help" for the time being but I'm not sure what to do with it. Do we want to have separate forums for dog training and puppy training? Probably not, right? Do we want to have separate forums for dog food and puppy food, dog grooming and puppy grooming, dog health and puppy health, etc.? I imagine these topics would best be discussed in one place for dogs and puppies. What are your thoughts? What sort of thing would belong in the Puppy Help forum? Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think its best to keep it as one. No need for two different forums, its gets too cluttered, ppl can discuss puppy and adult food on the same forum. Same as puppy and adult training.

I personally would call the forums this

Puppy Problems: General problems with your new puppy. Ask advice here

Health, Nutrition & Grooming: All health, nutrition and grooming discussions

Training, obedience and dog sports: All discussions related in this area and behavioural discussions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks, guys. I'll get rid of that forum now.

Do we want to have separate forums for dog training and puppy training? Probably not, right? Do we want to have separate forums for dog food and puppy food, dog grooming and puppy grooming, dog health and puppy health, etc.?
Mike, you can make subforums so the forum does not look over sized, within the subforum, you can add the smaller forums.
IE: if you look at my page, I have Large breeds, then within that as subforums I have:

Afghan Hound, Akita , Alaskan Malamute, Bernese Mountain Dog, Black and Tan Coonhound, Bloodhound , Borzoi , Bouvier des Flandres, Boxer, Briard, Bullmastiff, Canaan Dog , Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Chinese Shar-pei, Chow Chow, Collie , Curly-Coated Retriever, Doberman Pinscher, English Foxhound, English Setter, Finnish Spitz, Flat-Coated Retriever, German Pinscher, German Shepherd, German Shorthaired Pointer, German Wirehaired Pointer, Giant Schnauzer, Golden Retriever, Gordon Setter, Great Dane, Great Pyreness, Great Swiss Mountain Dog , Greyhound, Ibizan Hound, Irish Setter, Irish Water Spaniel, Irish Wolfhound, Komondor, Kuvasz , Labrador Retriever, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Old English Sheepdog, Otter Hound, Polish Lowland Sheepdog, Pointer, Rhodesian Ridgeback , Rottweiler, Saint Bernard, Saluki, Scottish Deerhound, Shiba Inu, Spinone Italiano, Vizsla, Weimaraner

So by opening the large breed, You actually open to a whole new forum specific to large breeds.

Frenchy

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think its best to keep it as one. No need for two different forums, its gets too cluttered, ppl can discuss puppy and adult food on the same forum. Same as puppy and adult training.

I personally would call the forums this

Puppy Problems: General problems with your new puppy. Ask advice here

Health, Nutrition & Grooming: All health, nutrition and grooming discussions

Training, obedience and dog sports: All discussions related in this area and behavioural discussions.
Thanks, Sivaro. I guess I'm trying to figure out what kind of puppy problem could go into the Puppy Problems forum that would not be a health or training problem. It would seem health or training problems would be appropriately discussed in the Dog Health or Dog Training forums that already exist. What does that leave for the Puppy Problems forum?

I guess I'm asking whether the Puppy Problems forum is necessary/redundant? Would chewing up furniture go into the Dog Training forum or Puppy Problems? Would it depend on the age of the dog doing it? Would it make sense to split up the same types of issues into different forums depending on the age of the dog? I am inclined to think not. Might we be better off not having a forum for Puppy Problems since they are essentially dog problems covered by the existing forums here?

Thanks for the idea about how to organize the forums, Frenchy. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether we should have seperate puppy forums, not how to organize them.

What do you guys think? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I guess having a puppy forum would allow a member with a new puppy to ask all there questions at once and not have to start four threads..?

Perhaps just leave it for a while and see how people interpret it and use it?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks, Sivaro. I guess I'm trying to figure out what kind of puppy problem could go into the Puppy Problems forum that would not be a health or training problem. It would seem health or training problems would be appropriately discussed in the Dog Health or Dog Training forums that already exist. What does that leave for the Puppy Problems forum?

I guess I'm asking whether the Puppy Problems forum is necessary/redundant? Would chewing up furniture go into the Dog Training forum or Puppy Problems? Would it depend on the age of the dog doing it? Would it make sense to split up the same types of issues into different forums depending on the age of the dog? I am inclined to think not. Might we be better off not having a forum for Puppy Problems since they are essentially dog problems covered by the existing forums here?

Thanks for the idea about how to organize the forums, Frenchy. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether we should have seperate puppy forums, not how to organize them.

What do you guys think? Thanks! :)
Nah, you are sort of not getting it. Ppl do the deciding. Eg, if the puppy was chewing the furniture ppl would decide if its a new pup and very young, most would place this in puppy problems, vomiting in health, puppy urinating would more than likely go in puppy problems again. An older dog would go in health nutri and training due to its age.

And as Frenchy says with the breed pages, it would be a sub forum. You open one page and ppl place all their breeds in there. This is what you and I discussed not long ago.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get it, I was just wondering about the overlap with other forums. You guys seem to feel it would be good to leave it in place so we'll do that and see what comes of it.

Please let me know anything else you feel ought to be added or removed to help enhance the community.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts