Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently moved to a different part of the state. I used to practice agility in my (small) cement backyard. It wasn't ideal, but I had all the equipment. Now, I have a large, very slightly sloped grassy yard to practice in. The only problem is, I live in Washington, where it rains. A lot. When my yard was cement, it would dry off fairly quickly. However, after even one rain, my new yard will be damp for days.

My question is, can I still practice on wet grass? Should I practice somewhere else, and would a horse arena work? What do you guys do?

I'm going to AKC Nationals this March, and I'm desperate to practice.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I think it would depend on the footing of the horse arena (you wouldn't want anything too deep) but anything is better than practicing on wet grass or cement. Also you may be able to check to see if there are any agility clubs near by that have an indoor set up with proper footing. I am sure there has to be some indoor facilities as the weather isn't ideal for outdoor practice year round.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I think the horse arena would work (we have trials in many horse arenas) but of course I would start the practices out small and work up to longer practices just to make sure you're not causing too much added stress from having to work on different footing. Want to make sure to build the muscles up slowly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Aussies are all weather dogs. Get tough, get out and practice as you did before. There is no home field advantage at national meets.

We go for daily walks in the rain often. It's great for the dogs coat. Nothing like a distilled water bath. Good for you too. I think the coldest we have been out for walks is -28 deg. Heat slows us down a lot however.

Get footwear that can get wet and still be functional.

I trained my GSDs rain or shine. Try tracking in a downpour. Try retrieves in a foot of snow where the dog not only has to find the dumbbell but go over the jump or wall.

We don't compete but still do things. I have a jump I use in the living room and a bunch of retrieve toys.

I wish I had a tunnel. That would be great to run through if bent around the dining room table. You can do weave poles easy in a hallway.

Gotta use your imagination.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@AgilityDog - Are there agility venues near you? A lot of places will allow you to rent their facilities for an hour or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts