Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my goal for by may was to get our CGC foundation and pass it which we did!:thumbsup: but now im unsure what to do. Wanted to do agility but got told if she had a luxatting patella she cant do agility or shouldnt do.

Which is a bummer! so now what do i do? do i leave training and risk her rebelling by not doing any classes since im moving in a few months to UK and just train at home to keep her on track? or do i do something like rally o or continue with CGC?

I do feel Jessie could benefit from rally o but that she might get bored quickly and then there may be complicated moves for me to understand eg 370 left turn which baffled me when trialling it once at the current club.

I am feeling confused and lost on where to next. I will ask dr mike in feburary when getting vaccines(good timing with needing the full set every 2 years is that she is due for the 2-3 year vaccines! to exam her then to see what he thinks.

Re luxatting patella she did pop it out at 10 months old then after my endo surgery in feburary she went to jump on the bed to keep me company and take care of me but fell off onto her back legs and i heard a pop and when i flexed that hind leg there wasnt any clicking but guarding it so took her to vet who confirmed that it had popped back in and went on pain relief for ten days. since then no problems.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After my dog passed the CGC, I took him to become a therapy dog and get registered with TDI. The test is more intensive and serious than CGC, so you will have to do some more work with your training and pinpoint weaknesses if you don't pass the test.

Too bad about not being able to do agility! I am waiting until the spring to get my dogs entered, although they are big, lazy, klutzy Akitas. It'll be fun but they won't be good. As for Rally, I took one session of a 6 week and found it to be incredibly boring. We unenrolled because it just wasn't right for me, too slow paced and detail oriented. It was a lot of older ladies and their purebred breeding dogs that they wanted titles for: nothing wrong with that, just not a great fit for a college student and dorky mutt.

There is a "second" level of the CGC, called AKC Community Canine. So far, I haven't been able to find somewhere that offers it nearby me.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I love love love Rally! I find it a great way to really clean up and polish obedience skills without the rigidity of a formal "obedience trial". Some of the moves sound more complicated than they actually are once you practice them from an instructor.

I think you'll often notice a big improvement in heeling because you practice in such tight quarters. In addition, the higher levels of Rally include sending over jumps, and doing the course off-leash.

I find it super fun!

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
884 Posts
Rally-O, fun, fun, fun, and rules makes concessions for dogs with any health problems or aging.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After my dog passed the CGC, I took him to become a therapy dog and get registered with TDI. The test is more intensive and serious than CGC, so you will have to do some more work with your training and pinpoint weaknesses if you don't pass the test.

Too bad about not being able to do agility! I am waiting until the spring to get my dogs entered, although they are big, lazy, klutzy Akitas. It'll be fun but they won't be good. As for Rally, I took one session of a 6 week and found it to be incredibly boring. We unenrolled because it just wasn't right for me, too slow paced and detail oriented. It was a lot of older ladies and their purebred breeding dogs that they wanted titles for: nothing wrong with that, just not a great fit for a college student and dorky mutt.

There is a "second" level of the CGC, called AKC Community Canine. So far, I haven't been able to find somewhere that offers it nearby me.
Really wanted to do agility too! we dont have that here in nz CGC goes up to gold we got foundation but i cant see myself with emigrating back to UK travelling in the country to try get bronze before 28th April(when Jessie flys to UK and 1st may( dad and i fly then)

I love love love Rally! I find it a great way to really clean up and polish obedience skills without the rigidity of a formal "obedience trial". Some of the moves sound more complicated than they actually are once you practice them from an instructor.

I think you'll often notice a big improvement in heeling because you practice in such tight quarters. In addition, the higher levels of Rally include sending over jumps, and doing the course off-leash.

I find it super fun!
I am trying to work on her down stay now got her going down as i want she wont stay down for longer then 10 seconds lol. so now its getting that balance for fast and down stays.

She could do with a polish up of her obedience skills esp with heeling.

Rally o is super super fun and not boring for the dog at all ! I would give it a try !
Posted via Mobile Device
Rally-O, fun, fun, fun, and rules makes concessions for dogs with any health problems or aging.
good to hear as Jessie has had health problems and can do now and then

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Rally would be a great option! I think you and Jesse would really do well in it, I know you have worked hard on a lot of obedience skills.

Rally is basically like obedience, except much more lax. You can talk to her throughout, encourage her, praise her. It doesn't require perfect precision heeling, just loose leash walking. It will utilize a lot of the skills you already have, but also require learning a few new ones. And it won't be hard physically on her at all, so even with luxating patellas, she should do just fine :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rally would be a great option! I think you and Jesse would really do well in it, I know you have worked hard on a lot of obedience skills.

Rally is basically like obedience, except much more lax. You can talk to her throughout, encourage her, praise her. It doesn't require perfect precision heeling, just loose leash walking. It will utilize a lot of the skills you already have, but also require learning a few new ones. And it won't be hard physically on her at all, so even with luxating patellas, she should do just fine :)
If its not on too late will try it! and def try it in the UK. I suspect Jessie will really need to go to training a week after arrival to keep her in check and to help her settle in and make friends. 2 years 2 months ago i moved to this place from my last one and she pooped on bed overnight then she was so verbal and restless and off color due to teh move but soon as got into routine she was fine! even took her to vets as dad was worried and myself of course.

I think i will get Jess a few agility pieces so she has fun in the UK :) even if very low jumps to burn off energy during day

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
training club say they can co operate during CGC training some rally o if i cant stay for 8pm class :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would also suggest looking into Rally-O some more, I know many who absolutely love it, and the more casual atmosphere helps to keep it fun for your dog(and for you!).

I'm also a huge advocate of trick training. It's great relationship building with your dog, and even some of the most simple tricks can be "crowd pleasers." There are titles you can get for trick training, or you can go another route and get involved with HTM or Canine Freestyle! (I hope to get involved with Lena next year, she loves her tricks, and doing a choreographed routine just sounds like a blast!!)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not that i dont want to continue CGC training once get to UK but honestly where moving to cant find a club that does CGC i will do CGC so still got same trainer prior to the move but ask for some rally o to be incorporated like they have offered me because the trainer for rally o and the time its on well lets say dad and i arent keen on that trainer and id rather have rachel who does CGC :) she is more my type of trainer very patient and understanding and has a son with aspergers too and she knows my disabilties and i dont want to change things too much prior to move for her

1 - 12 of 12 Posts