Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have three dogs and one of them, Bones, sleeps on the bed with me.

Bashir, the oldest, sleeps on a dog bed in the bedroom and Sisko sleeps on the sofa in the living room.
When asking the question, “Where should dogs sleep?” the answers are variable and depend on the individual dog, his age, his behavior and his training. Let’s take a look at those variables.

A Crate Becomes Security and Comfort

I consider teaching a puppy to sleep in a crate one of the necessary things all of my puppies need to learn. When sleeping in the crate at night, the puppy learns to control his bladder and bowels as few puppies wish to soil their bed. When the puppy cannot be supervised during the day, he can spend some time in his crate with a toy or something to chew on. If things are busy in the house, perhaps when guests come over, the puppy can go to his crate so he doesn’t become overwhelmed.
When I have a new puppy, I have him sleep in the crate each night. I keep the crate in my bedroom close to the bed. If the new puppy is worried, I like to be able to reach off the bed and put my fingers in the crate so he can smell them. I generally have my puppies sleep in the crate through adolescence (generally 9 to 14 months of age). Since the crate confines the puppy when he can’t be supervised at night (after all, I’m sleeping), he can’t get into trouble and perhaps turn those behaviors into bad habits.

Providing a crate and teaching the puppy to use it when he’s young will make sure he’s comfortable in it at various times for the rest of his life. Although he won’t need to spend each night in the crate throughout his life (he can if he wants to of course), being comfortable in a crate will help him when he goes to the grooming shop and the veterinary clinic, both of which will need to put him in a crate or cage. If you travel with your dog, a crate is necessary on a plane and can keep him safe in a car or RV. Crating your dog in a hotel can help him feel secure.
I like to compare a crate for a puppy to the blanket fort that kids create with the dining room chairs and a couple of blankets. My blanket forts were my special place where I was alone with my toys while feeling close and comforted.

Read More
Where Should Your Dog Sleep? | The Honest Kitchen Blog

·
Registered
285 Posts
My oldie King sleeps in a heated kennel outdoors, and he has a "summerhouse" too. he is a husky akita cross, so at this time of year, when the heating is on, he likes to come in for a little wile, to see whats going on, and then he gets to hot, and stands by the back door asking to go back out.

Ben my hound has a crate in the kitchen. we adopted him when he was about a year old, we have had him for 3 and a bit month now. i dont believe for many reasons that it is a good idea to let dogs sleep on the bed or couch.

for starters it dosnt help with separation anxiety, i dont like dog hair on the bed, plus i want my dogs to understand they are below me in the pack. i want my dogs to understand what is ours, and what is theirs. i really dont think a leather couch, and sharp dog claws mix.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My dog is part of my family, she has free run of the house & has a bed in our bedroom & one in the living room. Like most people on this forum I don't buy into the whole pack/hierarchy thing. My dog responds to gentle, positive reinforcement & therefore her free reign has never been a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts