Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm about to adopt a puppy and am really unsure where to keep her.

Unfortunately, my current place won't allow a puppy (which is not clear from the lease, and I didn't realize when I agreed to adopt), but I'm moving to a new home with a yard and everything in about a month. In the meantime, my significant other and I have been planning to temporarily move in at my mom's with the puppy until I move in to the new place. Mom's has a yard and a fence and is a great spot for a puppy.

But there's a problem. My mom has a cat and a dog and has always seemed like a very dedicated pet owner, but she just slipped that she has stopped keeping her dog current on vaccinations because she believes it is causing him trouble with his coat. She also wants me to not vaccinate my dog (not happening, mom!) The pup is 3 months old and from a shelter. It will be "current on its vaccines", but I'm not 100% sure what it has at the moment. Is it dangerous to have my dog in the home with the dog who isn't current on vaccines?

The alternative is to take my dog to my significant other's parents' place, which is several hours away. They have one dog, who is current on all its vaccines. The downside of this option is that I won't see my dog for a month, and I imagine that month is very important for its development and our bonding.

What should I do?

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
How old is your mom's dog? How long since that dog was last vaccinated and what vaccines did it receive the last time?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I think pups get their final vaccinations and are immune to parvo (probably your biggest concern here) at age 16 weeks. Could she stay at the shelter until then?
You could also make a puppy-safe room that your mom's dog isn't allowed in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your fast response! her dog is ~7 years old. i'm not 100% sure about when the vaccines stopped and what it received last. the conversation we had about this got a bit heated because i was disappointed in her and she was angry that i refused to not vaccinate my puppy.

if i had to guess, i'd say she stopped around a year ago, two at the max.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think pups get their final vaccinations and are immune to parvo (probably your biggest concern here) at age 16 weeks. Could she stay at the shelter until then?
You could also make a puppy-safe room that your mom's dog isn't allowed in.
i will check with the shelter about her parvo vaccination and timing. also, the puppy-safe room is a great idea. i think she'd accommodate me on that. what type of cleaning would i need to do before getting the puppy in there? my mom's dog has had free reign of the house and has been in every room recently, i'm sure.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the dog has been vaccinated regularly, until fairly recently (like within the last three years), the dog has most likely built up immunity to the highly contagious diseases. You might suggest she have titers run on her dog to see what level of immunity the dog currently has.

If the puppy you adopt is not in good health, that could be a game changer. Dogs with weakened immune systems are much more likely to contract a contagious disease than a healthy puppy. Take your new pup to a vet when you get it. Don't rely on what the shelter tells you about it's health and condition. Some shelters are great and use great vets but some, not so much.

Having your new puppy with you is very important as the window of socialization closes around 16 weeks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If it's non-carpeted, a bleach solution kills parvo. I think the foaming "vacuum up" carpet cleaner would do the trick on carpet, but please double-check me on that. Be careful with chemicals and puppies, some cleaners can actually give dogs chemical burns while they're wet.

And Grabby is right. I think you should start looking for a great vet that you really trust.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The odds of your mom's dog shedding parvo virus are slim to none. If you mom's dog had parvo, you would know. I wouldn't even bother to clean anything with bleach. The virus would be in the yard and that you can't do anything about. The fact is most dogs with parvo don't survive. Your mom's dog is presumably healthy. Quit worrying about the vaccines. :) Tell your mom she should have the titers done for her dog's sake. If her cat is an outside cat she can have titers done on the cat too.

Look up Jean Dodds website for more info on vaccines and titers.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm in a little bit of a parvo-fearing-puppy-owning headspace so I'm extra paranoid, but I would limit your pup's exposure to your mom's dog and not let him/her on grass until (s)he is fully immunized. But it will probably be fine :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I agree with those who say not to worry. At three months your new puppy should have had almost all his shots. If your Mom's dog is visibly healthy then it is extremely unlikely he will shed parvo (especially as it sounds like he was vaccinated when younger)

You will have PLENTY to deal with in raising a new puppy. Don't waste another calorie of energy worrying about this one! ;) I'd suggest you spend some time reading the training and behavior sections on Dog Forum or learning about effective, no force training methods from Kikopups (look on you tube).

Enjoy your new pup!

·
Registered
501 Posts
You are moving in a month...keep the puppy...what are they gonna do?...Evict you?...and give you 30 days notice? Bummer!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I'm sure the pup would be fine at your mothers.

It's very rare for adult dogs to contract parvo or distemper. There are also studies out there that have shown that once vaccinated as an adult, antibodies for parvo and distemper from the vaccine can remain in the dogs body for up to 5 years, or even more. Some vets do not recommend yearly boosters anymore, but instead every 3 years, because yearly is almost pointless as the dog is still protected.

Just make sure your mom understands that the puppy should not go out to any super public areas, like dog parks, or other areas where there might be unvaccinated dogs or puppies. As long as he/she is kept in the house/yard with the older dog, it should be ok. And it's also helpful that the shelter has already begun the vaccination process. With a shot at 3 months, it's likely your pup does have some immunity if not full immunity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts