Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering where everyone scores their dog gear, toys, etc for cheap? Trying to be cost effective, if that's even possible.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
I live way out in the country and the only pet store in the town closest to me is way overpriced so I get a lot of my dog's stuff off chewy.com an online pet supply store. They're cheaper then Amazon, and usually deliver the stuff within 3 days, get $49 worth of stuff and shipping is free even if the thing you order weighs a lot like a 48" ex-pen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a freecycle group in our area where people give away items they no longer want. I've gotten dog beds, food, treats etc. for my fosters for free, all in good condition.

The second best place I've found is our local thrift store/secondhand store. They sometimes have pet items. One year I got a bunch of large kongs, brand new from them for $5 each.

And Craigslist, if you are lucky you'll stumble upon someone who wants to get rid of something for a reasonable price. I haven't had much luck on Craigslist.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Kijiji, Garage Sales, Petsmart (they go out of business every now and again so I peak to see what's 50%+ off), Amazon, Ebay. Cleanrun, once, when shipping was free. Dr. Foster and Smith would also be good if you're in the states, but shipping/tax to Canada makes most items there too expensive.

PetValu supports a lot of the local rescues. I normally go there, to Global Pet foods, Or HealthyPets (small local place), along with Kijiji and Amazon. I don't really like supporting Amazon, but they really do help the budget balance =\

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live way out in the country and the only pet store in the town closest to me is way overpriced so I get a lot of my dog's stuff off chewy.com an online pet supply store. They're cheaper then Amazon, and usually deliver the stuff within 3 days, get $49 worth of stuff and shipping is free even if the thing you order weighs a lot like a 48" ex-pen.
I've gotten a few things from Chewy.com. I feel they're reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm on a fixed income so I bargain hunt! Do mostly online......low/no cost shipping is a factor too! Sometimes the cost of gas for running around is more than shipping lately! LOL!
Chewys.com
Dogsupplies.com
Petflow.com
Ebay
Amazon
Jeffers Pet.com

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
I am guilty of buying a lot of my stuff from Petsmart because I like instant gratification, but I like to always check out their discount bins.

I shop a lot off amazon

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Toys: PetsMart, Pet Supermarket, PetBox, reviews.
Crates: Craigslist (I have 5 crates, and I think I've paid around $130 for them all together)

·
Registered
501 Posts
We have a phenomenal locally owned independent pet store that I will always go to first...then to Petsmart second...amazon third if I can't find what I need. Our town is pretty anti chain store so I like to support the local shops that are good as a first option if I can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I buy most of Stella's toys in the clearance bins at Petco or Petsmart although I have pretty much given up on toys as my pup is an aggressive chewer and I hate spending money on a toy that is literally torn up and garbage in a matter on minutes.
Ross usually has some good deals too. I buy a bag of 12 12in bull sticks for 24.99 at Costco that seems to be the best buy and the Bull sticks will last at least a hour each even longer if your dog is not a crazy chewer like mine!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts