Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a previous post about my two dogs who are now almost one and half years old. I have male mixed breed (Bernese Mountain Dog, Appenzeller, and Entlebucher) and a female black Labrador. They get along great and they are truly best friends.
The slight problem that I have is with hyperactivity. I posted about this before and I will admit that I am not as active with them as I should be. I know that Labradors are high energy dogs and that they tend to stay "babies" for a very long time.
I'm finding this to be true as the male dog is the better listener out of the two of them. His only issue is getting too excited and jumping up on me if he hasn't seen me in a while. I've been working on his leash training and it is coming along wonderfully. I can now walk him in public places and not be ashamed!
I'm worried about my Labrador girl though. I can not even walk her around the neighborhood because she pulls so hard on the leash that she chokes herself and can't get any air. She is the friendliest sweetest dog that you'll ever meet...she is just soooo hyperactive!
Where am I supposed to start with correcting this type of behavior? I've tried playing fetch with her until she is tired out, but she gets her second wind really fast! I'm thinking that she is just lacking discipline in general, which makes her come across as this rowdy out-of-control dog.
They both did attend puppy school, but I stopped going because I felt like it was too expensive for what I was getting. I'd rather train my dogs at home if possible.
My question is what should I start with? The female knows some basic commands like sit and lay down. The male knows quite a few more as he is very driven to learn. The Labrador just wants the food! :D
I'm guessing that I should continue teaching basic commands right? Will this help her listen to me more and hopefully be less hyperactive? Does anyone know anything that would help her calm down or is this just a waiting game until she grows up a bit more?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If I remember correctly you were given some advice in the last post you made.

They both need more appropriate exercise, so off leash running around, playing with a flirt pole, fetch, agility etc. They also need time separated from each other, this alone time will give you a chance to get some training in with both dogs, on how to settle and become less hyper. If they are allowed to constantly play and roughhouse they'll never settle.

I suggest you look up Kikopup on YouTube and begin watching her videos and then practicing with both of your dogs, she has so many great videos on a multitude of different topics that will help you.

Mental stimulation is also important so stuffed kongs, nose-work (finding treats), trick training sessions, obedience, other treat puzzles etc.

I'm sure I said this is the previous thread but getting the dogs in a proper routine would be beneficial to you. You may not be as active as your dogs are but if you want anything to change then you need to up their exercise and put some man hours in to teach them how to settle properly in the home.

Also what are the dogs being fed currently? Many foods are full of nasties and additives that can cause hyperactivity

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
If you have a bike or scooter run the dogs its great exercise and will ware them out.
I have a scooter for this and it really helps my hound. I have used Kikopup for the pulling problem she has a few training videos on tube. Get a harness, it helps a lot. This works for us and it helps getting the pressure off the neck and throat.
Freedom No Pull Harness Buy Direct from Patent Inventor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both dogs are raw fed twice daily. I play fetch with them multiple times a day, because our whole back yard is securely fenced in.
I feel like I could be giving the Labrador more exercise because she seems to be always craving it, but honestly at this point there is no way that I can walk her. I have a toddler and I am pregnant and the female pulls so hard on the leash that I'm afraid of falling down.
I stuff their kongs with their dog food every day and I do separately train them because they need one on one time with me.
It just doesn't seem to be enough for her. The male dog has very slight issues like I said. I mean that is if I want to nitpick! Honestly if he is alone, I have zero problems with him.
The female is a good dog, but it almost seems like she is not listening or something isn't clicking over in her brain. If I could paint a picture of her, I would show a big goofy hyperactive dog with her tongue hanging out of her mouth panting heavily. She just doesn't want to "snap out of it".
She is a frenzied dog by nature I would say. She is constantly looking for food everywhere and constantly looking for something to "hunt". I feel guilty that I don't give her more exercise, but honestly I couldn't imagine anyone having enough time for her because I am home 24/7. I could only imagine if someone had to work and leave her home alone!
I will definitely look at the videos and give them a try though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have a bike or scooter run the dogs its great exercise and will ware them out.
I have a scooter for this and it really helps my hound. I have used Kikopup for the pulling problem she has a few training videos on tube. Get a harness, it helps a lot. This works for us and it helps getting the pressure off the neck and throat.
Freedom No Pull Harness Buy Direct from Patent Inventor
I won't try the bike idea at the moment as I am pregnant and it seems too dangerous, but I have thought of investing in a treadmill and starting them both with pulling a wagon or sled. I think they would love that type of activity!
Thanks for the harness recommendation! I will look into getting one as I know dogs can do permanent damage to their throats through pulling.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Kikopup has a few videos on capturing calmness and teaching a settle command. Fetch is great, but I find that my dog (Border Collie) becomes even more amped up after playing fetch rather than tired and ready to nap. That's why running around off leash, exploring, sniffing etc may tire her out properly as its more mentally stimulating.

Also if she's in the yard all the time, she may get a little stir crazy by not getting out and exploring. You may want to think about hiring a dog walker or possibly daycare if you are unable to walk her.

How old is she? I think focusing on a settle command and more training sessions through the day. Also look at Kikopups video of a place command and work with her to get a good lay down and stay so she can learn to settle down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! I will definitely check out Kikopup's videos as they seem to be popular :D
She is almost 16 months old now, yet most online resources claim that Labradors are one of the last breeds to "grow up".
Also I plan on bringing her inside more often to interact with me during the day as I realize that ignoring the problem isn't going to make it go away. I'd like to try and get her calmer before the next baby in my house arrives!
Like I said, I love her to bits. She is truly a great dog, just rough around the edges. I don't want to sound like I am passing off responsibility for her, I just didn't realize that a Labrador would need THIS MUCH exercise!
I will buy her a proper harness and ask my husband if he could walk her instead. My ideal goal would be to be able to bring them both for a walk together, somewhere out in public, with them both being nice and calm. I know that I have a long long road ahead of me to reach that goal though!
Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to work hard with her, because she really does deserve it. She is such a lovely big goofball!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a side note, Wikipedia has this quoted in their article about Labradors: "Labradors mature at around three years of age; before this time they can have a significant degree of puppy-like energy, often mislabelled as being hyperactive."
This is her 100%! I know that she still needs some more time, training, and exercise with me though. As she grows older and hopefully calms down a little, then she should turn out to be a great dog.
My male dog has wagon/sled pulling instincts in his breed and I thought that would be some great exercise for the pair of them. I will put the Labrador's leash pulling habit to good use! The kids would love it too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever#cite_note-pslra-10

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I won't try the bike idea at the moment as I am pregnant and it seems too dangerous, but I have thought of investing in a treadmill and starting them both with pulling a wagon or sled. I think they would love that type of activity!
Thanks for the harness recommendation! I will look into getting one as I know dogs can do permanent damage to their throats through pulling.
Maybe hire a dog walker for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.