Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car lease will be up soon and I want to get a dog friendly vehicle. At first, I was thinking of an SUV. I don't currently have a dog but hope to within the year. However, I was on a Subaru forum and a lot of people there with SUVs put their dogs on the back seat.
So, I started thinking that maybe an SUV isn't necessary. I would like to get involved in agility and possibly obedience. I don't know if that should make a difference.
How do you travel with your dogs?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Merlin has a harness with a loop on the back that allows you to secure him using the seatbelt. Because he's only twenty pounds, he easily fits in any seat of the car, but I put him in the front passenger seat. I imagine bigger dogs might benefit from a bit of extra room, either by scooting the front passenger seat back as far as possible and putting something on the floor so that the dog can comfortably lay down or putting the dog in the back seat.

I would suggest using a harness similar to mine, rather than leaving the dog untethered in some way. I would also caution against crating on card rides. I've seen some scary crash test videos with stuffed dogs in crates that were not pretty...

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Small dog here, mostly shotgun or under a blanket in the back seat. Should consider tethering him at some point.

But, I seen a Ford Focus sedan the other day with a Great Dane in the back seat. Seemed to be enjoying the ride :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I crate my two big dogs and my little dogs just travel loose. Probably not the safest but they just lie down, don't jump all over the place like a puppy might. I have a Dodge Caravan and took both back seats out so I would have room for the two big crates and can also put in a couple of smaller crates if I needed to.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We have an Equinox. Dogs ride in the "trunk" portion generally, although sometimes we fold down the rear seat and they have the whole back portion to ride around in. It is fabulous not having kids - my car can be super muddy and it's fine, because it's always just dogs. :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a dodge ram and rocky rides up front in the front seat if its just me and him. If I have other people with me then he rides in the back seat. He gets very mad that he has to ride in the back and will glare at the person in "his" seat!���� I don't tether him or anything in the car because he doesn't move around except to lay down.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
58 Posts
We travel with our IDC harness that is attachable to the seatbelt. I think it is so important to have our dogs secured, especially for longer trips. We also do agility, and sometimes travel to some small shows, so that is when I definitely use it! Car wise, I would not choose one based on having a dog. Buy something that you love and know you will have for a long time. SVUs are nice cars, and definitely comfortable!

·
Registered
200 Posts
We have two cars.. a Ford Fusion and a Pontiac G5 (2 door). Bella is a black lab and border collie mix who is 55 pounds. For the most part we have Bella sit in the back of the car (she LOVES car rides). Occasionally I will let her sit in the front but for the most part, I feel most comfortable having her sit in the back.

I too should consider harnessing her for safety reasons. I will look into it!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I looked into harnesses when we first brought Levi home. The results of their efficacy are very disheartening. In the end, I wasn't going to buy something that didn't work. Both of my guys just lay down anyway, so I wasn't worried about them bouncing around.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
She`s a big dog and rides in the "trunk" part of the car. She has a car harness that attaches to the baggage loops (idk what to call them) in the trunk.

I`m not sure how strong the harness is but it`s better than nothing. She always wears it in the car.

I don`t put her on the backseat because I like a clean car (well cleaner) and I think she`s more comfortable in the trunk... more space.. she can stand and move around vs the seat where she could basically only lay.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
with my parents car the dog is sitting loose in the trunk, which has safety bars.
My old car was an Opel Corsa B so it was pretty tiny.
I used a TüV-tested harness on the the backseat, basically because the car was too small for him to be in the trunk or to use a box big enough for him to fit in.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Backseat or behind the front seat--as long as it doesn't interfere with driving, all good.
Bonus--Sonic hopped into the back from day 1, no training required.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Stella sits shotgun in my car. I have a dog seat cover and she has a car harness. In the event I have to take Tyrion somewhere he has a car seat I put in the front seat too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I crate my dogs in the car. I drive an older Subaru Forester. I fold the rear seats down and put two crates side by side. 1 dog to a crate. I used to do a similar set up when I drove a Honda Fit.

I crate them because they are small and I don't want them getting thrown in the event of an accident.

My dogs seem to like it just fine. They either lie down and go to sleep or if they don't want to sleep, I roll down the back windows and they sit/stand and enjoy the breeze.

Eventually I plan to upgrade the crates to crash tested crates, but they are VERY pricey, so it will have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With our 3 pups an SUV has been life changing, not to be overly dramatic. I drive one of the new Dodge Durangos and the seats fold completely flat in the 3rd row so we load the dogs up, as only one of ours is tall enough to jump in on his own, secure the cargo net and close the door. They all lay down pretty quickly and stay in the back no problem. Granted back when I had just the 1 pup a car was fine. Rocky rode in the front seat no issues, granted he weighs 25 lbs, and I think having the back area for the pups separate in an SUV is ideal if you're planning for a larger dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts