Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in the title...

My Irish Terrier gets a B.A.R.F. diet. Here in Switzerland I order the meat, bones and some other ingredients online and then it's delivered home.

Where do you get meat, bones, rumen... for your dogs? In regular pet stores?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm going to switch onto this soon, and will be training one of my dogs to help me get it from the country side larder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will be living in the outskirts of Houston. May I should just teach my dog to go into the woods and get what he needs too:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there - I just joined and am still finding my way around.

I have my first dog and he is a Dalmatian. I've had him from 4 weeks on (rescue from Gypsies) and we have grown very close. He has developed into a really nice, obidient dog. Still, I have TWO problems.

1. He is really greedy and he grawls even when we walk past him. I couldn't take food out of his mouth, neither would he give it to me if he was asked. This will cause a problem in the future, as I feel he would be 'unsafe'???

2. Ever since I have had him, he has on/off diarrhea and I don't know what to feed him? I like the idea of BARF, but it is not available in the UK. The alternative for me was ORIJEN (grain free). ORIJEN is Kibble though and I'm not that keen on it. I've been home-cooking 4 times a day. Than I started feeding kibble in the morning, 3 chicken RAW chicken wings for lunch and home-cook in the evening.

Today he started haveing watery diarrhea again... I am at a loss???? ;-(

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have four Dogs(kids) and they are all on BARF.
I buy it here in Fort Lauderdale in The Doggy Store.
I allways try to switch the Protein source from Chicken to Lamb to venison to Ostrich- but no BEEF.
Somehow my Angels seem to be allergic to it and if you don't get organic Beef you don't want to know what they feet that poor animals.
Try marrow bones from whole Food (cut not to small), your dogs will have fun and after a day work on it the teeth are super white.
I have no luck with cooked food. They have digest problems and starting to itch like crazy.
There are pre mixed brands out there from BRAVO or STELLA, they have all the veggies and Fruit in it.
Put a little Beef heart and tripe in it and your dogs turn in to wolfs.

We have a Pet Sitting Business and we recommand raw Food to our customers because it is that what Dogs like the most and what keeps them healthy.
Viola, give your dog a little bit charcerol(Health food store) and I wouldn't cook the Food. But if you cook it put Enzymes for Dogs in it(after it cooled down) and start with brown Rice and a little bit meat. Slowly increase the meat part! Dont forget cooked Carrots etc. Ad a little bit Sea salt.
If the Diarrhea is bad, try not to give him for 1 or 2 day anything except plenty fresh Water!
Let me know!http://www.petsRourpassion.com

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I first started feeding the raw diet, over 14 yrs ago I also fed kibble with it. It didn't work good. They got diarrhea. So went completely to raw diet. Didn't have any more problems. Also I don't give much raw beef. It willl give them diarrhea. But they do get raw beef bones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2. Ever since I have had him, he has on/off diarrhea and I don't know what to feed him? I like the idea of BARF, but it is not available in the UK. The alternative for me was ORIJEN (grain free). ORIJEN is Kibble though and I'm not that keen on it. I've been home-cooking 4 times a day. Than I started feeding kibble in the morning, 3 chicken RAW chicken wings for lunch and home-cook in the evening.

Today he started haveing watery diarrhea again... I am at a loss???? ;-(

Any ideas???

Our dog Maya had severe food allergies that also caused really bad loose stool. We figured out that she was allergic to cooked protein. YES it is possible. It may not just be a allergy it could just be a sensitivity of some sort. But I tried multiple kibbles and even limited imgredients foods, and she did bad on all of them. I even tried home cooked and was still getting loose stools, no matter what I tried. She was beginning to get malnourished and I was getting desperate. I switched her over to Prey Model raw, and her stool was immediately firm. I tried later to put her on half and half kibble and raw and she got the runs again. So Ive had her on Prey Model Raw for a year now and she is doing wonderfully no loose stools EVER. I really recommend it as long as you have ruled out any other possible health problems that could be causing the loose stool. I buy all my meat bone and organ at the grocery store. I did write a short article on the raw diet here: www.sabrethebengal.webs.com Just click on Raw Diet link. This was sort of a spur of the moment thing but its got some tips and has some books you can pick up to read about how to feed raw, and explains a bit how to do the diet. It's really saved my butt and Mayas lively hood. Im adding a before and after picture tonight or tomorrow when I can find the old pic from before she was on raw. Hope this helped! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you live outside of a city, my guess is that there is a hunting season posted and that people who do hunt have found someone who is willing to butcher the meat. Try to find that source..to purchase some of the bones and offal. Then you might also find out that this person butchers cows or lambs or pig during the year too. A local source is a much cleaner, fresher source of meat and offal. My dogs love pig ears, pig tails and pig feet, also tongue, heart, liver and kidneys. It may sound gross.. and I couldn't do the butchering myself...but it seems a shame to me if all that good meat is being tossed. I'm paying 50cents per pound for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts