Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Chisum came from a rescue down in Oklahoma.

Sophie came from a city animal shelter here in Kansas.

Lexy came from a breeder; specifically a farmer around the area that was breeding working pups.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Stella was born in NC and a shelter down there shipped her to a shelter in NJ where I live. I fostered her then adopted her after 10 days!

Tyrion was born in a puppy mill, I think in the midwest. He was shipped to a puppy store, purchased and then dumped in an inner city shelter a few months later. I saw his photo from that shelter on facebook and we adopted him the next day!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi was from a show breeder in the middle of nowhere. She has a cattle farm, so her "show dogs" actually do some work as well. It took us 5 hours to drive there, and then 7 hours back with all the extra stops. He was so good, and totally worth it, he's a cutie.

Heidi is also from a breeder, working lines, although her mom is AKC registered. She was much closer, only 4 hours away. It was amazing because I got to meet her mom, (Dad was away being a stud), cousins, and grandparents. There were a lot of BC's haha.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will be honest.. I know some of you won't like this source because Chester is not from a reputable breeder or shelter.

My family is friends with a farmer family. This families uneutered mutt had puppies with a GSD. So it was an accidental litter on the farm.. which is not too uncommon in this area.. So Chester had no former vet care, but was a healthy farm pup. Of course he got his shots and checkup when I got him.

Do I regret getting a farm pup? No.. I love Chester and I would not replace him for any dog. Would I get a farm pup again? No. I think my next dog will most likely be from a Shelter.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I will be honest.. I know some of you won't like this source because Chester is not from a reputable breeder or shelter.

My family is friends with a farmer family. This families uneutered mutt had puppies with a GSD. So it was an accidental litter on the farm.. which is not too uncommon in this area.. So Chester had no former vet care, but was a healthy farm pup. Of course he got his shots and checkup when I got him.

Do I regret getting a farm pup? No.. I love Chester and I would not replace him for any dog. Would I get a farm pup again? No. I think my next dog will most likely be from a Shelter.
You gave a home to a dog who needed it and are a responsible owner. If you hadn't taken him he might've ended up in a shelter anyway. It's not like you got him from a puppy store or backyard breeder. That I judge, but not just taking a pup from an "oops" litter.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Mia came from a BYB breeder in Vermont. She wasn't the greatest breeder but she wasn't a terrible person either- she clearly loved her animals and rescued PMU horses. My parents didn't know better at the time but I don't think I'd buy from a breeder like her in the future for a few reasons though.

Delilah came from a rescue in Tennessee. I don't know much of her history before that except she was found as a stray and pulled from a shelter by the rescue before she was scheduled to be euthanized. I think she must have been someone's pet before that- I can't imagine this 6 lbs dog surviving very long as a stray, she's kind of an idiot.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sawyer was from a "breeder". I had never gotten a dog from a breeder before so I didn't really know better. We found out after we got him that there's a large chance that he's from a byb or puppy mill. Ive learned my lesson though and will deffinitly never get a dog from a place like that again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Caleb was from a breeder in upstate NY. We drive 5 hours each way, twice, for him. One when he was 6 weeks old to pick him out, and then again 2 weeks later to bring him home.

Owen belonged to a very good friend who passed away 4 weeks after we lost Caleb. His breeder is about an hour from us.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Charlie even though has linage papers ended up in animates pet shop because he only had one testie! he has had very minimal health problems in his life

Jessie from levin pet world which people are trying to close down the owners bred Jessie well the wife did they told us they reputable breeders done it for 15 years etc but Jessie has had the most health problems. Do i wish i got her from a breeder yes would i swap her? NO she is the best little dog i could ask for everything i wanted in my puppy! she is 3 years 11/11.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sonny was from our local rescue, he was in a pen with his siblings. Poppy was from an online advert, normally wouldn't consider getting a dog from an online ad I assume they're all byb but this girls Dad was recently diagnosed with cancer and he couldn't cope with her anymore. Exceptional circumstances I figured, so I took her in

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Betsy came from a fabulous rescue called Four Paws South Wales, my previous dog came from there also. They have the majority of their dogs in foster care, where they keep them for a minimum of 2 weeks in order to assess there temprement etc. This is great, especially when a dog comes in as a stray (like Betsy) & there's no background on them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
In New Zealand we have what is called a heading/eye dog, they're border collie mixes bred specifically to work with livestock - most people who breed heading/eye dogs are farmers (breeding their own proven working dogs) and that is where Callie came from. Her parents were bred and are proven working dogs on a cattle stud a few hours from here.

And Pip. Well.. technically I got her from my Mum but before I got her, my Mum purchased her from a family friend who decided to get a litter out of her purebred JRT.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reese found me, she showed up on my street when I was 15 and never left. Chess and Echo I got off of Craigslist, just free puppies that irresponsible people let their dogs running loose have. I should not be allowed to look on craigslist for a very long time. Both were impulse puppies that i just had to have haha.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Tully came from a humane society shelter in a city about forty-five minutes from where I live, as the local shelter...well, let's just say they could use some lessons in how to treat people who come in looking for a dog as well as how to let the general public know what animals they have. If you looked on their website, you'd never know a smaller dog showed up there unless it was one with significant issues--their theory is that the smaller dogs will get adopted anyway, so why bother to advertise that you even have them, so if you actually need a smaller dog, you're just expected to how up continually and snatch one up immediately before someone else does (and it didn't used to be that way, but the current management has a number of issues--and I had adopted from them twice before and couldn't get anyone to even wait on me when I came looking for my next dog because I didn't have a pack of children with me; everyone with a "family" got waited on first, and I've been told by other single people that they've been treated the same way, which really irks me because the last dog I adopted from them I turned into a volunteer of the year at a local nursing home and not all "family" dogs get the kind of care and training I give mine).

Anyway, I saw Tully's photo on the website for the other human society and there was something in his eyes that spoke to me, so I took a drive up there and adopted him the next day. Not that I would have taken him just on the look of his eyes in the photo--I spent quite a bit of time evaluating him and talking to the person who did his temperament test because I wanted another dog with whom I could do therapy work. But I'll admit that it didn't hurt that the first time they put him in my arms, he flipped over on his back and started licking my nose. Or that the first time he did a sit for me, he also extended his paw for a shake (I always say the app for that tick came pre-installed). Or that he interacted with other shelter dogs and cats and people without any problem and was an enthusiastic fetcher (though that last trait was more endearing then than it is at, say, 1:00 a.m. when he drops a tennis ball on my face). Incidentally, he was an eight month old stray, and they figured he'd been a stray for a while, when he was taken in by the humane society, so I don't really know a thing about his breeding, but I'm assuming he's probably a mix of a number of breeds and may well have been part of an "oops" litter. Since he's never strayed from my yard even when the yard guy has accidentally left the gate open, I've always been suspicious that he may have been more of a dumped dog than a dog who actually strayed. Or else, as one woman at the shelter from which I adopted him told me, he may have had a reason to stray before but doesn't have one anymore.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quenya was originally found as a stray in a state forest, rescued, adopted by someone else who got pregnant a year later and couldn't handler her. Her owner was the one rehoming, but she was listed through the rescue again. I drove a couple cities away to meet her, and took her home that same day--it was absolutely perfect.

Victoria was formerly owned by my roommate who essentially abandoned her to my care.

Skipper was from a breeder. His breeder is responsible, competed all her breeding dogs in the UKC and earned GRCH titles on several before her health gave out. I love Skipper, but I'll be going for a sport-and- performance-based breeder the next time I get a dog from a breeder. For Ratties though, most breeders aren't interested in that so I didn't really have a selection. He turned out well, but it's a gamble if the parents have never even tried the sport or competitions you want to compete in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maia is from a humane society 3 hours from my current city. We had been watching the websites for a while and I saw all of her siblings get posted and adopted. I fell in love with their look. And then the day before I moved, Maia was posted on the website. We were stopping through the city her shelter was in on the way to moving to our new city. I fell in love with her through the glass but was told she had an 'adoption hold' on. I called back 2 evenings later (the hold came off at 7pm the night I called) to find out the people who had her on hold had never come back to adopt her. After hemming and hawing all night with my boyfriend, I woke up the next morning, drove 3 hours to the shelter. I left late and drove without stopping to pee or get gas because it was first come first serve to get her. I made it to the shelter first, only 7 minutes before the next person who wanted her (and 1 hour before the shelter actually opened).

When I met her, she was horribly nippy (drew blood) and clearly lacked attention and had no bite inhibition. I was unsure whether I wanted her. I called my boyfriend to come down and meet her since he had to be there for the adoption to go through. She was a little angel through the first half of her meeting with him and so we decided to get her.
She's not really any of the breeds that were at the top of our list, but we love her. We are also so proud that our little girl, rated "borderline" by the humane society is well mannered. I spent a lot of time worrying over her "borderline" personality assessment and the fact that she's part pitbull in the first weeks that we had her. But she's calmed down and our trainer says she's a great dog with a good heart <3

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Toby is from a backyard breeder. The lady considered herself something of a hobbyist breeder and so was only doing a litter at a time at her home. We got to meet both parents and take a peek around their house/farm but yeah... Suffice it to say Toby is definitely not show quality.

We actually kept in touch with the breeder for quite a while. Toby never did have any health or temperament issues, so all good news for her.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts