Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My own neighbourhood is terrible to practice in--narrow winding roads without a shoulder and sidewalk, crazy cujo fenced or chained barking dogs, and right now, nesting geese....
Catch 22 is that I can't find convenient and safely contained 'practice' dogs at a controllable distance. I've been driving to town (obviously wrong time/location, whatever) and finding about 1 to 3 dogs to 'practice' near per hour--hardly seems worth the time.
Comments about your habits welcome. Now I'll see if I can set up my very first survey.
Edit: changed my mind about the survey, times of day, and days of the week appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh my gosh, I was walking by a creek the other day when I heard the telltale hissing of a Canada goose! We got the hell out of there. Yikes.

I walk my dogs on leash M-F and then off-leash in the trails on the weekend. I usually try to get out in the morning around 10, and then the afternoon between 2-3.

I try to walk in areas where other people will be walking their dogs on leash. This way I can practice having my guys be calm, without worrying that some dog is going to run up to us (hence why we don't practice near the dog park). I usually walk down by the water front, or at a near-by park with paths for walking/biking.

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh, I was walking by a creek the other day when I heard the telltale hissing of a Canada goose! We got the hell out of there. Yikes.

I walk my dogs on leash M-F and then off-leash in the trails on the weekend. I usually try to get out in the morning around 10, and then the afternoon between 2-3.

I try to walk in areas where other people will be walking their dogs on leash. This way I can practice having my guys be calm, without worrying that some dog is going to run up to us (hence why we don't practice near the dog park). I usually walk down by the water front, or at a near-by park with paths for walking/biking.
Sonic's got quite the thing for geese; poor little guy has no idea they can bash his pretty little head in. I myself cross the road for these guys, or sometimes just a wide berth if they look tolerant. Impressive winged creatures.
& thanks for your schedule. Ironically, I've been trying those times, small town, I guess. Hopefully nice weather will get the lazy walkers outdoors.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I walk mostly either in my neighborhood or on a local college campus where I do therapy work with my dog, though in either location, there's always the possibility of multiple stops, as he has a lot of human friends, as well as a few canine ones. Both are generally safe, though the other day, in my neighborhood, I had difficulty getting by a house with a loose and incredibly obnoxious chihuahua who wouldn't stop racing in circles around me and my dog and whose owners really had no control over it, though it did stop short when I gave it a no-nonsense "NO!" as I stepped between it and my dog. I think its owners thought I was being overbearing, but since I didn't touch the dog in any way, I couldn't possibly have hurt it, and I only wanted it to back off so we could pass, as my dog was getting increasingly irritated by its darting at him when he was on a four foot lead and couldn't get away from it. The rest of the dogs in the neighborhood are either in houses, in fenced yards, or with their owners and under control.

When the weather's nicer--it's been raining for most of the last three or four days--in the spring and summer, we also will take advantage of the trails and some of the city parks, particularly those near farmers' markets. And, of course, there's a certain degree of walking to be done in facilities while doing therapy visits. This summer we may also be doing a library program in a nearby small town that has its own biking/walking trails we might try, just for a change of pace.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Every day I walk him twice around the block, me and my support worker take him to formby woods , mere sands nature reserve and Crosby mariner , but I prefare mere sands it's quiet there not a lot of doggies either x

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I bring my dog EVERYWHERE. The park (human not dog)... bike paths... dog friendly restaurants... there are a few towns within an hour drive from me that have a ton of dog friendly stores so we walk all around those towns... the beach... hiking trails. Unless I'm in work or school, my dog is with me. I've done this ever since I got her as a pup :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you're looking for leashed dogs to use as distractions (or triggers) at a distance, a parking lot outside a busy vet clinic can be a great place to try. Parking lots near grooming salons, doggy day cares, or similar businesses are sometimes good too, though it depends a bit on their hours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts