Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Coffee will turn 3 months this coming 1st of Feb. I know she's still young now but I'm curious if until when she'll eat dog food for puppy? On what age do we consider that we can call her adult? She's my first dog so not aware. Right now, I'm giving her beef pro dog foods that she really likes. I noticed as well that after my grandma gave her a big pork bone last time she had lunch with us, she started barking very loud when she's hungry.. (I assumed that she's looking for that bone again since that was the first time she ate bone and meat) ... Is it fine to spoil her with bones? I'm a little afraid cause my sources for bones were those canteens we have around the street (here in the Philippines, we call it "carinderia" who serves "Bulalo". It was like a soup with large pork bones.. But considering that these bones were first served to humans and was made for humans, of course there were preservatives that was on the food) I want to give her what she wants but I want to make sure it's safe first.

I'll answer to any related questions and any response will be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Currently as well, I soaked her food first into water for an hour before I serve it to her because we think that she can't still chew it, but when do you think she can start eating her kibble without soaking it? ..

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Currently as well, I soaked her food first into water for an hour before I serve it to her because we think that she can't still chew it, but when do you think she can start eating her kibble without soaking it? ..
Its fine to soak the food. At 3 months she should be able to eat kibble without water but then will just have to drink enough to soak it in her stomach. If you want to keep her healthy don't feed bone that have been cooked ,it is very dangerous they splinter and can cause lot of problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its fine to soak the food. At 3 months she should be able to eat kibble without water but then will just have to drink enough to soak it in her stomach. If you want to keep her healthy don't feed bone that have been cooked ,it is very dangerous they splinter and can cause lot of problems.

Okay thanks. I won't give her any cooked bone anymore. But raw bone would be okay?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to give (pork) knuckle bones until I realized there was also shank attached. Both my dogs would crack open the shank to get at the marrow and leave behind the bone that was otherwise too hard for them to chew.

Like eveyone else says, depends on your dog. I don't give knuckle bones anymore because of the potential for problems even tho my dogs seem to be able to deal with them. Same with neck bones, they would eat the "spongy" part of the bone but leave the solid part that was too hard for them to crack. While I reallly like pork neck bones (beef too) because they have a lot of meat on them, I'm too concerned about the small bits they leave behind. Small enough to be swallowed whole, but they don't swallow them, depends on your dog.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think just to be safe, I won't give her any kind of bone. I'm just so afraid to have problems with her in the future. thank you anankae :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The bones I like best are oxtails followed by pork ribs and pork chops. Pig tails and lamb chops are good too.

A lot of people like chicken and turkey necks and backs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As for when to switch her over from puppy food to adult food, really it can happen anytime (a lot of the "puppy" marketed food is just marketing gimmick).

However if you are more comfortable feeding her puppy food that's fine. The switch to adult food is usually around 6 months in that case. But you won't do any damage to her if you switch her over before or after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts