Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chisum had vaccinations in December, so barring illness he won't need to go back for awhile.

I've been increasingly unhappy with my current vet and the practice there, and her unhelpfulness with Chisum kind of put me over the edge. So I'm looking to switch.

I have a vet practice in mind. They have mixed reviews (all vets do I guess) but are AAHA accredited so that's a plus. I'm just not sure when to actually contact them, since he's not really "due" for anything and his vet history is a bit all over the place (current vet said he was fine behaviorally - he was sedated when she saw him - another vet said he'd need medication along with his behavioral training but I didn't care for her so we didn't continue). On top of that, while *I* think he could benefit hugely from meds I'm not sure the rest of the family agrees, and I do still live at home (funny, because I take anxiety meds myself).

Anyway. I'd really like to shoot them an email and see how they handle behavioral cases or if they refer out. Not just in terms of meds, but also regular office visits. I'm just not sure if it's appropriate since I don't necessarily have a need to bring him in now? Do you think they'd advise even if I'm not a current patient?

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I would absolutely email them now. I would start the process of switching and maybe go in for a 'meet and greet' visit. If something stands out that you don't like, you still have more time to look around. If you find a vet that you like now, god forbid if something happens before his next visit, you can feel comfortable knowing that you are bringing him to a vet that shares your values.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's good advice. Chisum doesn't do meet and greets well ;) but it's a good thing to outline in an initial email for sure. I do know they have a separate entrance for dogs that don't do so well, so maybe they have other suggestions as well.

I will definitely shoot them an email today and see what they say :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'll only go with a holistic vet. If they don't believe in it or try to sell a lot of products, then I would/will not go there.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Your Vet is actually your partner maintaining your dogs health. Like any partnership, if its not working, or is uncomfortable, its time to change.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
When you get on an internet forum and ask if you should be switching, it's time to switch. When you have to start researching to verify that your vet is right or wrong, it's time to switch.

Took us 3 years and 6 vets to finally get a diagnosis of hypothyroidism for our dog - and he went through heck during that time. Finally went with a holistic DVM, and we won't ever look at strict western vets again. Most vets are NOT open minded, they may spend 10 minutes with your dog every few months - but when they don't listen to what the owner has to say - then it's time to go.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I always did like my old vet - my family used her for 20+ years. Her practice was getting worse.....inability to schedule timely appointments and a loooooong wait (often over 30 minutes) even if you did have an appointment. But when asking questions about my clearly fearful, higher needs dog she wasn't helpful at all. Said he was just being protective, which is so far from the truth it's not funny. Even refused to do bloodwork.

I don't think we have any holistic vets in the area, but we do have a good vet school so no shortage of vets. I also work for a conference planning office that plans several CE events for vets so I know who attends them all AND is kind on the phone (my vet doesn't attend any). If this one doesn't work out I'll email somewhere else.

This place does do in house lab work and has an in house pharmacy, which is appealing too.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
This place does do in house lab work and has an in house pharmacy, which is appealing too.
I wouldn't use either personally. All blood work from now on gets sent to an outside lab, too many in-house results were skewed. Regular pharmacy will have better selection, i'll take the script elsewhere. We learned the hard way that the vets' generic thyroid med did him no good.

Our little guy was on a downward spiral for 3 years, he was going bald, scratching and itching, chewing himself up. When he started taking what looked like mild seizures and getting fearful, that's when I realized he had issue with thyroid. From now on, his blood goes to hemopet.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Aspen726 - thank you! I got a reply last night and will reply to them again this morning. The woman who emailed me was very helpful. They have two vets that are more skilled with behavioral cases and are willing to do a meet and greet and/or give him a mild sedation if necessary (I know it's not ideal but I do think it will be necessary). They also encourage happy visits ... I don't think it's something he's ready for right now but would love to partake in the future if possible.

I'm feeling good. They also have 'longer' appointments for dogs that may need more time, accept pet insurance (don't have it but think it would be a good idea), etc.

They asked a lot of questions in the email so I'll answer those and see. I really think it would be a good idea to take him in for a wellness check, both because a checkup never hurts and he's also had a bit of an upset tummy as of late.

In any case, they do seem responsive and caring so it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I'm optimistic as well.

Just sent her a second message. In the first one she was very pro-meet and greet and happy visits. I think those are good things, I just think they are outside the realm of what Chisum can handle, so I was sure to let her know a bit more about his history and ask her what to do if he does have a meltdown or if there was a private place to be or if she just wants to do a mild sedation (as we had to do at the last vet). We're not talking "sensitive" here, we're talking panic attack. ;)

I'm actually kind of nervous - I've never done this before and I don't want to create animosity as my parents will of course still use our old vet for the other animals (I think) and she's been our vet for so long...but I do think something else would be better for Chisum. I think it's my own personal anxiety issues getting in the way.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
We found a vet that really does care for her patients, and actually listens and converses - and that's everything to me now. She'll call us periodically to check up on the dog, see how he's making out.

Do what is best for you and your dog.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, good news.

The vet finally asked for my phone number so we could speak on the phone. It took a few days, but she called today. She is incredibly nice, and very willing to work with Chisum. Since he's not due for anything, barring any health scares, we're going to take it slowly for now. She encouraged happy visits, but we're going to start with just getting to the parking lot, lots of treats, and then leaving. People watching a bit. Hopefully slowly work to getting out of the car, then I can call ahead and make sure she's there and she'll come out and meet him, even from a distance so he can see her while feeling safe or hear her voice.

Seriously, awesome. I think we've found our new vet. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts