Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when the best time is to switch my dog from puppy food to dog food??? I have heard so many different opinions just wondering what you all have found that worked out the best???

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I was just wondering when the best time is to switch my dog from puppy food to dog food??? I have heard so many different opinions just wondering what you all have found that worked out the best???
I have heard different opinions as well, like 12 months, 2 yrs, etc. I started to mix in adult food with my 70 lb dogs puppy food once he hit his goal weight, I also cut back from 2 cups 2x per day to 1.5 cups 2 x per day. My vet (as well as our dog food) said 18 months which is right about where he is and now 99% on adult food only (there are still some kibbles of puppy food mixed in).

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
What size is your dog? Large breeds should be switched earlier than small breeds. Giant breeds shouldn't have puppy food at all.
Really? I have never heard of this. I thought large breeds were suppose to eat puppy and better yet the specific formula for large breeds....I have a 70 lbs dog and he just recently got off puppy completely...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Ok whew! Harvick is not a mastiff or dane size LOL Good to get this out on the forum for those with giant breed dogs!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Really? I have never heard of this. I thought large breeds were suppose to eat puppy and better yet the specific formula for large breeds....I have a 70 lbs dog and he just recently got off puppy completely...
i have heard this also, and it makes sense, but shouldn't the foods that are specifically for large breed puppies be good?
yep, they have less protein. In fact I've seen small breed puppy foods now that have protien levels that rival cat food lol
Hey I asked this already! LOL So large breed puppy food is meant for large breeds. Geez :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dozer is about 50lbs and just turned 1 yr old...so back to the real question hehe ...when should i switch??? :ponder: or slowly switch??? Im my opinion hes rather small for a full blooded boxer??? anyone else think so???

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
SLOWLY switch. now is a good time to start considering switching, or I personally think (as long as he is not overweight) it could wait another month or two before slowly mixing in adult food. Not all boxers are big. My parents boxer is 85 lbs pure muscle and his mother was only 40-45lbs. Do you have recent photos of him for opinions on size? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics of Dozer

Heres a couple recent pics...the one with me in probably shows his size the best...I'm about 5'3....Everyone one who sees him is like awwww what i cute lil puppy...what is he about 6 months...:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Wow he is gorgeous!!! I think he looks perfect sized! It says the typical boxer is between 55 and 70 lbs. I think he is fine, they still fill out sometimes between 1-2 yrs. He may gain another couple of pounds during that time. His weight looks perfect, not carrying any extra fat, good muscle structure in the legs, and not too thin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts