Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many times we love our pets and often think this simple surgery we just scheduled is the right answer.... but what if it's not? Have you really done your homework? Do you really know the risk involved? Does everyone truly understand what could go wrong? Has your doctor told you the risks of hospital acquired infections?

Our family recently lost our precious lab due to surgical complications that were so easily preventable. No he didn't lick an incision. No he didn't injure himself during recovery. He caught not 1 but 2 hospital acquired bacterial infections. We fought very hard to save his life! But in the end the bacteria was much stronger than his sweet body could handle. I'm not intending to question if all surgical clinics are properly sterilizing and because we ended up with a bad surgeon doesn't mean all surgical clinics are the same. I just want to remind other families that losing your dog to complications from surgery really does happen.

Please really understand what it is that your pet truly needs, scheduled to have done, and the true complications that could occur. Always consider a 2nd opinion before making a commitment. We miss our precious dog tremendously and tonight our house is just a little too quiet. If this post prevents just one family from going through what our family has went through, then I'd say it's worth posting.

Kiss your sweet pup a little more this evening. Oh, what we wouldn't give if we could do the same!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My condolences.

I've had a lot of pets in my life and almost all of them had surgeries...and in most cases when they were elderly pets. I always worried about them dying on the table, but not so much about infections afterwards.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm also sorry for your loss but curious about your dog's health, age and reason for surgery. Though we forget it in our modern age surgery is a risk for humans or our pets. But I have also had multiple dogs with multiple surgeries and they went fine. It just depends on a lot of things.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My cousins young cat died while being spayed, it can and does happen. Even to healthy pets. My grandfather died around the age of 30ish while under anesthesia, I don't know what it was for but it makes my mom very nervous about being put under for things. There is always a risk and I do think people forget that. Nikkitody, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's very hard to loose any pet, but when you think you are doing the best you can for them and something bad happens it makes it harder. I have a Great Dane who will be getting spayed and a pexy in the coming months and I'm a nervous wreck. If I didn't have an intact male I'd really consider not spaying her.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Any surgery, for humans or for pets, is not without risk. Hospital acquired infections are today's nightmare for hospitals and doctors, as they are typically far more antibiotic resistant, than community acquired infections are. With any proposed surgery, for humans, or for pets, you must always weigh the risk vs benefit ratio. Some surgeries are just simply not worth the risk.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh Nikkitoby, I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Just remember you were doing the right thing for your boy, and it's not your fault - sometimes science just happens, and there's nothing we can do. :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hospital acquired infections happen in even the most sterile environments. Infact, most of them are actually antibiotic-resistant which means that the prophetically (beforehand) administered antibiotics and even some sterilization methods are no longer working.

Thinking twice about surgery is always a good idea though, anesthesia itself still remains a danger to both animals and humans. That's why dr's who administer it often make high six figures. There's a chance of bad things happening even under the most skilled clinics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts