Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

I'm faced with an incredibly difficult situation.

About 3 weeks ago (two days after my father passed away), my 11 year old poodle mix and I was playing in our front yard. While playing fetch, she ran to get the ball, yelped and then refused to use her leg. At first I thought it was a wasp sting under her pad, because she had redness between her toes, but after a visit to the vet, she was diagnosed with an acl tear in her knee (without xrays), and I got 10 days worth of medication to see if the medication would remedy the issue.

Two weeks later, after finishing the medication and seeing no improvement, I called the vet and she recommended an x-ray. At this point, after doing some research, I thought it wise to go for a second opinion because I felt that my initial vet should have recommended an x-ray immediately, so I made an appointment with a different vet.

The second vet took an x-ray, confirmed that it was a total acl tear in her knee after palpitating the joint and recommended surgery which would be $3500. But after examining the x-ray she saw a lump about the size of a golf ball in my dog's stomach cavity that is abnormal. The vet said that I would need an ultrasound to determine what it was and then an additional surgery to remove it.

I've been crying for days over this now, because I don't have the means to have both surgeries done on my dog and I need to leave the country to go and take care of my mother who is now alone.

I'm at my wits end and do not know what I should do. I want the best for my dog, but at this point I'm starting to think that I'll have to humanely euthanize her which is tearing me apart! How do you make such a hard decision????
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,885 Posts
i'd get the ultrasound, ASAP

the diagnostic ultrasound is, IMO, the key decision. Without that, U have no idea what's in her belly.

It could be something relatively simple & treatable; it could be something that will take her quickly, a metastasized tumor of an aggressive type. // But until U know, U really can't make a decision - U need more solid data.

So i'd get the best-possible price for the ultrasound, do that, get a Dx, & go from there. // If the lump is removable or susceptible to meds, do that. The knee isn't life-threatening - the lump MIGHT be.

Hang in there, & try to think rationally - she needs U to make some choices for her best interest. I don't think euthanizing her NOW is reasonable or kind - U need to know what's going on 1st, & even then, she's not a debilitated elderly dog.
Don't give up too quickly. :)

let us know if / when U get a Dx, please.
- terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,839 Posts
My condolences on the loss of your father.

Will you be taking you dog out of country with you? If so, then, something you might consider. Go ahead and have the lump looked at, and if it's something that can wait, like if it turns out to be a non-cancerous cyst, maybe you can have the lump and the leg taken care of in the other country.

Some countries have decent vet care at a fraction of the cost of here in the USA. It could be possible your dog's leg can be taken care of there, and perhaps even the lump. You would have to probably do some on-line research to see what they have for vets there, or if your mom is capable of it, ask her to contact the local vets and find out what they have for surgical facilities.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Also, a lot of poodles/poodle mixes can live to be 16 years old, some even longer...so while on the elderly side, your dog, if other wise healthy shouldn't have too hard of a time pulling through an operation. The recovery could be a little bit slower, due to her age, as like humans, old dogs don't seem to heal as fast as they do when younger :p

Stormy
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top