Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had buddy for a month, and it's been 2 weeks since he last had an accident, but that was because I didn't take him out soon enough after he drank a lot of water one time. Well, I've been supervising him(like a hawk) in the living room while he naps or plays with his toys, but he also gets up and likes to walk back and forth between the living room and my bedroom, which I keep open because his crate and water bowl are in there. Because of that, I have to constantly get up and stop what I'm doing and follow him in there, because I'm afraid that he might have another accident or get into trouble, and I do this during the majority of the day haha. It can get very boring and repetitive during the day, and its hard to get stuff done around the house. When I have to go somewhere and leave ill put buddy in his crate. I'm wondering, is it ok to look away and do something like read a book when he decides to get up and walk around, and what do people do when they have to do errands or get some work done in the house with a dog that can't be completely trusted? I don't want to always have to put him in his crate when i might be busy for a minute or two

·
Registered
254 Posts
Does he seem to have a potty schedule? If he has a potty schedule, you should be able to eliminate the constant supervision unless it is around his usual "potty times." I would crate him when you leave the house for awhile, but you don't need to crate him when you're home if he hasn't had an accident for awhile.

If he's a puppy, I'd crate or confine him in a safe place if you are busy for longer than 10 minutes to prevent him from getting into any trouble and developing a destructive habit.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It can work well to confine the dog to a specific area of the house, preferably one with an easily cleanable surface. We used the kitchen for a good while, and our dog had roam of all the kitchen floor (baby gates and barricades). Eventually we began removing partitions to give him roam of one floor, and eventually both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does he seem to have a potty schedule? If he has a potty schedule, you should be able to eliminate the constant supervision unless it is around his usual "potty times." I would crate him when you leave the house for awhile, but you don't need to crate him when you're home if he hasn't had an accident for awhile.

If he's a puppy, I'd crate or confine him in a safe place if you are busy for longer than 10 minutes to prevent him from getting into any trouble and developing a destructive habit.
Yep, I've noticed that he needs to go potty around the same time every day, but it might be thrown off a little when he's playing and drinks more water than usual. Right now he just went potty so I'm giving him a little time to walk around on his own

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It can work well to confine the dog to a specific area of the house, preferably one with an easily cleanable surface. We used the kitchen for a good while, and our dog had roam of all the kitchen floor (baby gates and barricades). Eventually we began removing partitions to give him roam of one floor, and eventually both.
When you confined your dog to the kitchen, and before he had free roam of the entire floor, did he spend the majority of his time sleeping and playing in just that one room? Also, were there moments when you let him explore other parts of your house, like the second floor, with supervision before confining him again?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 5 month old puppy and I work from home so I found at first it was helpful to crate him for a few hours in the morning or afternoon so I could get things done. Now he is doing really well with house training and I have him confined to an exercise pen on the tile floor near where I work so he can play but not get into anything. We take him out to roam around the house but only when we can supervise him the entire time. Slowly he is getting better about being able to just lay and play with a toy when he's out but it doesn't take long for him to roam and get into things.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
When you confined your dog to the kitchen, and before he had free roam of the entire floor, did he spend the majority of his time sleeping and playing in just that one room? Also, were there moments when you let him explore other parts of your house, like the second floor, with supervision before confining him again?
Honestly he is a guy who really likes to be underfoot, and I think most dogs are the same. Just now I woke up and wandered downstairs to find him waiting outside the washroom for my mom-- He turned 11 this year LOL. So he sort of supervises himself in that sense-- he just follows us!

And yes, he was 24/7 in the kitchen as a puppy.

When we gave him roam we made sure to take him out on a fairly frequent basis, hourly or every 2 hours, and that is what seemed to really eliminate the accidents. As well, we trained him to ring a bell when he needs to go outside. So that further prevented the chances of a 'miscommunication'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts