Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so this is my first dog. Right now he's a little over 4 months. He's had all of his puppy shots (finished them on monday.) and doesn't have to see the vet until he get's neutered.

So, when should I start giving him flea and tick medication as well as heartworm medication? I asked the vet the first time we went, but he said not to worry about that yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Heartworm preventative can be started at the first visit, but your vet might just be waiting until you come in for neutering. If you wait until he's six months for that, they're gonna have to take a heartworm test before giving the medication though, whereas if it's before six-seven months, they wouldn't have to test it.
As for flea and tick medication, you can use it at eight weeks. I'd ask the vet for suggestions on which one to use since there's a few different brands.

Good luck with your puppy :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can start it at 8 weeks old ...I'm not sure why your vet would want you to wait. Doesn't make sense to me, but he must have his reasons. Like the above poster stated, you will have to have him tested for heartworms if you wait much longer to start him on a preventative. Talk to your vet about what kind of flea/tick control will work for you. FWIW I use Nexgard and have been very pleased w it, basically the only thing that works against our tough fleas and ticks. And I use Heartgard for heartworms, which is pretty standard if you're not using one of the all-inclusive preventatives like Trifexis (which I don't think works against ticks though, but takes care of heartworms and fleas).
Best of luck w your pup!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
He should already be on heartworm prevention. I would start that ASAP as heartworm are nothing to fool around with.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks. I'll call the vet. Does he need to get tested for heartworm before I start giving it to him?

And could I buy the medication myself at a petstore or do I get it at the vet?

·
Registered
455 Posts
^ at 4 months old he should not need to be tested for heartworms, it's only if you wait until 6 months that you have to test.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Okay, thanks. I'll call the vet. Does he need to get tested for heartworm before I start giving it to him?

And could I buy the medication myself at a petstore or do I get it at the vet?
You have to get heartworm meds through the vet (or you at least need a prescription, if you buy online). Flea control you can get OTC, but keep in mind that fleas have been getting immune to the older drugs, so you'll want something newer. I use the Seresto collar (it's not at all like the old style flea collars), it lasts 8 months (6 if they swim a lot), costs $50 and can be used on puppies as young as 7 weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, i'm sorry to post again..

So, I called the vet. They said that they don't use heartworm medication, as it's apparently not common here (southern california), and they said I don't need to use it if I don't travel. I was surprised as I thought most every vet encouraged medication. I asked this lady at my barn if she gives it to her dog and she said she doesn't either.
THis is wrong, right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts