Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy has been nipping a lot. My fingers are her favorite toys, also my feet, toes and ankles, anywhere she can get her teeth on. I have been practicing “Ouch”, walking way for a while, and saying “No” firmly. When I try my own displinary actions, she seems to think I am playing with her. Well, she tends to nip a little softer for a while. It doesn’t matter whether I put toys in her mouth, she always finds the way to get to my fingers when we play.
I even try to spay water on her – I read that on line, when she attacks my feet area, she runs around all over the places, again she thinks we are playing, like she is a savior trying to conquer a giant monter or something. It’s funny how she plays but it’s getting really irriating and frustrating. I can’t walk around the apartment even without constantly shouting "no" to angie, or I have to go into the room too often. I can’t do what I need to do. One time I caught myself yelling at her. Darn…
What should I do? I can take her to any classes yet. She has another round of shots left (It's going to be 20 more days at least). She gets parasites and gets sick, just breathing air, seems like. LOL, so I don't want to take a chance.
Please help!!!!!!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
don't spray water on her, don't "punish" her... as you have posted, these things don't really work... you need to teach her that putting her mouth on you means that the fun stops... when she does this say "ouch" and completely disengage with her... cross your arms, turn your head away from her, like a snob... if that isn't enough, stand up, and turn your back to her... if she still thinks this is a game, walk out of the room for a second or two... don't say anything more to her...

btw... "no" and "ouch" have no meaning to a dog... words never do... not until the dog learns to associate them with an action... if "ouch" means that the fun stops, she will learn to control herself, but you have to be super consistent about this... it will take time for her to get it...

oh, and keep toys near all the time... give her a chance to go for the toy, set her up to make the right decision, then if she does not, abruptly/immediately disengage as i already posted...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Yes, I do try associating words + action, it doesn't have zero impact on her. Whatever I do, it's a big joke to her. She would wag her tail, chase me after trying to bite my feet as I walk away. Me stopping action, or disengaging seem to be an extension of play for her... sigh*** ( I won't spray water anymore ^^)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Thank you. Yes, I do try associating words + action, it doesn't have zero impact on her. Whatever I do, it's a big joke to her. She would wag her tail, chase me after trying to bite my feet as I walk away. Me stopping action, or disengaging seem to be an extension of play for her... sigh*** ( I won't spray water anymore ^^)
it isn't just stopping action, disengage... do not make eye contact... turn your back on her... wait her out... it will take a bit at first, but the more you do it, the faster and faster she will start responding appropriately...

how do you play with her? like what games are you initiating with her?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
288 Posts
Something else you can do is if after the second or third time of chasing feet tether her to a piece of furniture with a light chain leash and an interesting toy, go about your business.

If you feel compelled to make a noise to intensify your displeasure with her nipping at you, a sharp EEEP seems to have the best impact to break the behavior long enough to redirect it. Teach her how to play by herself almost by kinda giving her no choice esp. if she's amp'd up at threshold. She has to learn self limiting behaviors and this is a good way to get her to learn she can't just charge off on you and be a brat, that there are ramifications that come of it. Once she settles a bit you can sit near her on the floor and softly engage her on a toy, or if she falls asleep, just unclip her and go about your buusiness. Nice part about it is you don't have to constantly be physical with her to keep her off or under control.

One last thing, like Fawkese said about disengaging, make sure when you turn away you turn your head and shoulder at least (I always tell clients turn your entier back to them. You can hear them you don't have to watch them). In dog language just turning the head away from another assertive dog is a sign of submission and it will often intensify the other dog's assault on you.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Turning the head is a calming signal to show you mean no harm...I have never heard of a head turn as being submissive and asking for a fight...

You need to go back to the main section, say dog training, and at the top left there is a button that says new thread
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
288 Posts
Turning the head is a calming signal to show you mean no harm...I have never heard of a head turn as being submissive and asking for a fight...

You need to go back to the main section, say dog training, and at the top left there is a button that says new thread
Posted via Mobile Device
I never said it was a sign of asking for a fight. I said it was a sign of submission which often times will make a dog act more assertively towards you. Meaning if they are pushing limits with nipping and chasing you, turning your head away will not tell them you are unahppy, it tells them you are submitting to their will. I have seen it time and again people try to use the head turn to get a dog to back off and it only makes the dog go at them more, however when they turn the whole head and back on the dog THEN the dog get the signal the person is not pleased and will usually try to appease the owner.

Turid Rugaas (1) The Norwegian behaviourist and acknowledged expert on reading the intricate body language of our canine companion’s states that dogs have a highly developed set of calming signals that act as diffusers of aggression and conflict. These signals include circling, lip licking, yawning, sniffing the ground, looking away, moving very slowly and deliberately, the body shake as if shedding water, distracted sniffing, raising a paw, play bows, turning away, freezing, and either sitting or lying down.

Here is an article that may be helpful to you (the OP)

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=2

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Yea...the head turn and the body turn has the same idea...so are you trying to say that the body turn has more of a calming effect than just the head turn? If so that would make more sense. To say the head turn can cause the dog to come at you more is strange, do you have any articles from well known trainers who can explain why this is?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
288 Posts
what I am saying is yes turning head and body has a greater calming effect on dogs than just turning the head. Ever have a notorious licker? Ever just try to turn your head away from him to stop the licking onslaught? Ever see him try to lick you MORE because you keep turning your head to avoid his licking? That is because you're sendign teh wrong signal by just turning your head. Take the same dog, the same licking fiasco, and insted of turning your head, turn your head and shoulder... watch how fast his attempts to lick you stop. Test if for yourself. Don't take my word for it.

I don't have any articles from trainers... trainers are not behaviorists and usually have no clue when it comes to canine communication really.

Passive Submission
Ears back, on back, belly exposed, tail tucked, release of urine droplets, head turned away, indirect gaze. Bellying up indicates surrender, a pacifying gesture offered to a more dominant or aggressive individual.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Many many many trainers have lots of knowledge on canine behavior...to my knowledge part of the curriculum for training schools is behavior classes.

Then show me where a behaviorist has written it, don't copy and paste please, I would prefer a direct link I like to learn from actual published documents. I have an obsessive licker and my head turn gets him to stop. I can agree this does not always work, but turning the body does not always work either. Fawkese was giving baby steps, try this then this if the first fails then finally this if all else fails.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you would really only call turning the head away a sign of submission if you saw that puppy's behavior as dominant. i do not. i see it as puppy play behavior, having nothing to do with dominance. my advice to the OP was to keep from reinforcing the behavior, and had nothing to do with mimicking dog submissive/dominant gestures. personally, i believe that doing so is a huge waste of time. the dog is getting too rough when she plays, so the game is over when she does that... the OP needs to work with the dog to figure out how dramatically she needs to disengage before the puppy gets it. some dogs will calm themselves if you just say ouch and pause, some will need a head turn, some need you to walk away from them.

DS... i'm not sure why you both debunk and defend dominance theory? sorry, but many of your posts seem very contradictory. also:
I don't have any articles from trainers... trainers are not behaviorists and usually have no clue when it comes to canine communication really.
i cannot find any listing on any search that says that you are a behaviorist? i'm not sure but it seems to me that you are implying that you know more than a "trainer" would, and tho i believe that a behaviorist should know more than a trainer, that does not mean that trainers have "no clue when it comes to canine communication".

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
DS... i'm not sure why you both debunk and defend dominance theory? sorry, but many of your posts seem very contradictory
this

X10000

To OP...the method of "ouch" and stop all play (and even standing up) is a great method. I do the head turn thing occasionally as my pit bull can be pushy for attention and it works wonderfully.

Have you posted recent puppy pics??? I love your little one.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
319 Posts
My sister's dog has this same problem. She is a bloodhound, 5 months old, and is a HORRIBLE nipper. And damn, do those baby-teeth hurt. She'll chomp down on your arm as hard as she can and try to play tug of war. Nothing we've tried has worked. Turning away makes her jump on you more, walking away makes her more excited when you come BACK (Even if we're out of sight for 20minutes at a time), and saying "OUCH" and pulling away does absolutely nothing, haha. You can't redirect her onto toys, she's more interested in your hand. The only thing she'll chew at all is water bottles, and if you're anywhere around she'll lunge for you instead.

I'll be watching this thread, maybe someone can come up with something to help your dog that my sister can try too.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My sister's dog has this same problem. She is a bloodhound, 5 months old, and is a HORRIBLE nipper. And damn, do those baby-teeth hurt. She'll chomp down on your arm as hard as she can and try to play tug of war. Nothing we've tried has worked. Turning away makes her jump on you more, walking away makes her more excited when you come BACK (Even if we're out of sight for 20minutes at a time), and saying "OUCH" and pulling away does absolutely nothing, haha. You can't redirect her onto toys, she's more interested in your hand. The only thing she'll chew at all is water bottles, and if you're anywhere around she'll lunge for you instead.

I'll be watching this thread, maybe someone can come up with something to help your dog that my sister can try too.
Sounds to me that this dog is not getting the exercise and mind stimulation it needs. Its a bloodhound....have they ever owned one before?

We have someone here who owns a bloodhound :D (SH thats your cue!) hopefully he sees this and can give more advice but for now, the dog needs lots and lots and lots of exercise and training. When she is fulfilled on that end she will be able to calm down when she is too rough.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No, I don't think they've owned one before. They walk the dog like 4 times a day, and she plays baseball too and brings the puppy with her to the games to play ball on the sidelines.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Ever have a notorious licker? Ever just try to turn your head away from him to stop the licking onslaught? Ever see him try to lick you MORE because you keep turning your head to avoid his licking? That is because you're sendign teh wrong signal by just turning your head. Take the same dog, the same licking fiasco, and insted of turning your head, turn your head and shoulder... watch how fast his attempts to lick you stop. Test if for yourself. Don't take my word for it.
i have a licker. lexi. i can turn my back, sure. but she comes up and licks be from behind. this is because its attention seeking behavior. i have taken my attention away from her so she is going to seek it, and if i give her any she will continue. i can not talk or move while she is doing this to show her my attention will not be returned that way.

oh well.. i guess what i just said holds no value then because i know nothing about behavior since im just a trainer..... :rolleyes: i guess those many hours i spent watching about dog behavior on videos and in live groups, and reading books meant nothing....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts