Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My small terrier adopted puppy (11 weeks) is flying to me this weekend. :happydance:

I have a play pen ready for him, so he will have his own safe space,
but when (how many days/weeks) until I can safely leave him alone during the work day with my small breed female cavalier x terrier (desexed) dog, who is 14 months?

they haven't met before, due to him located in Carnarvon, 9 hour drive, so I hope my dog will be accepting of the new addition.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's okay to leave your puppy with the dog. But for the safety of the young I would suggest they will have both a pen ready for them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It really depends on the dogs. I started leaving my last 2 puppies with the older dogs almost right away at 9 and 12 weeks. Of course I had them meet and saw all was good. In both cases, I knew my adult dogs very well and knew they would never hurt the puppy even if the puppy was an annoying lil butthead.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Personally, I kept my dogs apart when I wasn't home to supervise for several months. I wanted to wait until the pup wasn't quite so small and delicate and I had extensively observed their interactions and was completely confident that the two wouldn't hurt each other, even if there was a tussle over a toy or something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts