Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, me and my husband are picking out our goldendoodle puppy from a great breeder in two days. The issue is, we're going on a trip for a week just one week after we pick it out (we got in on this litter very last-minute and had no way to cancel trip unfortunately). The breeder has offered to keep it, free of charge, until we get back. Or -- we could bring it home for one week, take it back to the breeder, and he would keep it one week before we return. Part of me thinks it would be better for the puppy to just wait to come home with us until we get back... but maybe it would be nice for it to stay with us when it's still little and get early exposure to us? And I hate to miss out on two whole weeks of its life... any thoughts/advice??

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Would the breeder have any other puppies and the parents? If they do, I would hold off until you get back, those 2 weeks are probably going to be really beneficial to have with the pup's (biological) family to be honest. What age will your puppy be when you're supposed to pick it up? I know how hard it can be to wait!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've been reading that it is stressful for puppies when they first move away form mom and siblings. They need time to adjust and get to know their new forever home. But taking a puppy for one week and then sending it back before the puppy has time to adjust to your family and then sent back to you after one week might make it harder for the puppy to adjust quickly to your family. (Unsure if it will be taken away again and might take longer for the puppy to adjust to your family.)

So, I would wait until you return, that way the puppy won't be as stressed and will probably adjust easily and quickly to your family.

Good luck.

Reactions: JudyG
1 - 3 of 3 Posts