Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering when do puppies stop having the constant need to chew on somthing. I know that you have to teach it to stop chewing on things that it isn't suppose to but when will she stop needing somthing to chew on

Another question I have is that what age do the puppies stop the puppiness and when will they start acting like a adult. I know it depends on the breed so I have a basset coonhoun\lab mix that is about 11 months now.

·
Registered
917 Posts
With lab and hound in the mix, it could be a couple of years before they really start to calm. They are active breeds. I think most dogs like to chew, but labs are mouthy and many really like to chew. My lab/pointer was pretty high energy for at least the first couple of years before he started to calm down. He's 12 now and still likes to run from time to time. My basset has always been pretty laid back.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Agree with above, all the labs I know loooooooooove to chew. Also, labs are puppies for like...5 years. :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
Agree with above, all the labs I know loooooooooove to chew. Also, labs are puppies for like...5 years. :p
Oddly enough Vegas does not chew. He loves his raw bones but other than that, nope. He 'chewed' one thing as a pup. It is a large dresser that he scrapped with his front teeth. But activity. He loves to run and jump. He use to be able to climb trees to a point. He's slowed down but still loves walk in the woods and open fields to stretch his legs. Yesterdays snow had him running around like a puppy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Depends n the dogs, but most labs I've met are still puppies at 14 lol :p
Labs are notorious for needing something in their mouth, whether it be you, a sock, a stick , a chew, your drywall, any and all wood products....If you don't tire them out and provide something positive for them to chew, they will seek out things to chew on and that never ends well.

Hounds on the other hand need mental stimulation, if they aren't mentally exhausted they will find themselves a job which could be something as unpleasant as redecorating your living room by chewing up the flooring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts