Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just a brief question, on puppy food packs they often list the age that a puppy can start to eat certain foods, but on adult food packs it just says for adult dogs, when does a puppy become an adult, is it to do with teeth or a specific age??

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Small breeds mature faster than large breeds. Some use the one year mark to consider them adults, some breeds its two years, then the giant breeds are usually closer to three.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) I've a feeling mine may be a puppy for a long time - just met a three year old cocker spaniel just like my pup and you wouldn't know (apart from size) that there were any years between them :).

I asked the question so that I know which treats are safe to give her now she's getting her adult teeth
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I guess it depends on the size of the kibble also. If she has teeth she can eat most any treats. Most breeds stay on puppy food till they are a year old. Larger breeds it is better to put them on adult at 3-4 months of age so they do not get much protein or calcium for growing bones. At least that is what I did for the large breeds I raised. My Chihuahuas stayed on puppy for over a year of age.
Hope that helps..:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thank you. My puppy is only 5 months old so she will be on puppy food for a while yet :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
164 Posts
Our puppy was only 8 months old when the vet recommended that we take him off puppy kibble. She said he was getting a little overweight, she actually said fat :D, and that he needs to switch to adult food right away.

Most of the treats we give Rocco are based on weight not age so those have been pretty cut and dry for us, he's been around 10 lbs for the last 6 months.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depending on the brand, some packaging will say things like, "Up to 18 Months," or, "One to Ten Years." For me, I typically move my dog off of puppy food once he/she has hit a growth plateau and reached mature size.

Puppy food is incredibly rich and loaded with calories. Growing dogs (like children) require extra nutrition while they're growing, but once they're done they don't need all the extras. Switching to adult dog food helps your dog to maintain a healthy body weight.

As Sam314159 said, her vet had her switch to adult food because Rocco was getting a little...plump. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out when a kid turns into an adult. I'm still trying to figure out which I am! I'm adult-aged, but I don't remember turning into an adult!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts