Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have read in my previous thread, I adopted a puppy about 7 weeks ago.

The rescue estimated that she would be between 25 - 30 lbs full grown.

A recent DNA test estimated her adult weight would be between 39 - 62 lbs full grown.

The DNA test also showed that she is 37.5% German Shepherd; 12.5% Border Collie; 12.5% Yorkshire Terrier and 37.5% Undetermined (but most likely some kind of Hound).

She is 7 months old right now and 26 lbs. How much more should I expect her to grow?

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
My best guess, given the breed mixes, would be for her to continue to grow taller, longer, for the first year, then fill out muscle over the following year.

Basically dogs the larger the dog, the longer it takes to grow, they finish growing bone structure first, then fill out muscle and will get heavier.

·
Registered
420 Posts
With the larger breeds in there, I'd say she will have her height by 1 year but, not be fully filled out and, have her full weight until between 2-3 years of age. That means a growth appropriate diet for at least 2 years, maybe 3 until she's not lanky looking anymore.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
My understanding has been that they have their full size bone structure at approximately 12 months, but will continue to fill out and gain weight for at least another year. Of course since every dog is an individual, there are no hard rules, just general guidelines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts