Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time poster - and first time puppy adopter! Sorry for the length and thank you for all the help in advance!!

I picked out a puppy from a rescue (home foster) at 6 weeks and was going to bring him home this weekend (at 8 weeks). The foster/rescue organizer emailed yesterday to tell me that 3 of our puppy's littermates came down with parvo last week (another rescue dog in the house got parvo so the foster was watching for symptoms in the pups). All the puppies got their vaccinations last week Tuesday, and by Thursday the 3 pups showed symptoms and were promptly taken to the vet. The 3 pups had it very mild (only diaherrea) and have thankfully recovered.

The foster said I can bring my pup (who was never sick) home this weekend, and that her vet said it was fine etc...but I'm not so sure this is a good idea. She told me she let the puppies who came home from the vet play with my pup and it doesn't sound like she had isolated my pup from the area where the others had been. I really want to bring my puppy home - but I also don't want to risk bringing home a puppy that may be incubating parvo and could still get sick anytime (its a 5-6 hour drive home from the rescue).

What can I do? I asked the foster to let me wait until he is 12 weeks to bring him home, and she agreed but seemed really reluctant about it. Has anyone dealt with something like this? Can I bring him home safely sooner? Should I wait longer to bring him home? I feel bad leaving him behind (the foster said the mom went to her adopted home yesterday and the littermates sound like they are also leaving shortly so he'll be in a house with the foster and her dogs).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't know much about parvo and it's transmission, but the rescue should be considering your concerns. If you feel that they're trying to force a puppy on you when you have health concerns, then you may want to reconsider getting a puppy from this rescue.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Fwiw, many sources actually say that the incubation can be up to 2 weeks. I would still feel comfortable taking him home (especially to get him out of the contaminated environment), but do watch him carefully for the next week/so for any signs of lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, etc. Also, I'd recommend a bath as soon as he gets home before setting foot anywhere on your property to get any/all fecal tidbits off of him.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also, I'd recommend a bath as soon as he gets home before setting foot anywhere on your property to get any/all fecal tidbits off of him.
Yes!!! Do this for sure! The Parvo Virus is very hardy and can live in the environment an extremely long time. The virus is excreted in the infected dog's fecal matter.

I adopted a pup from a Rescue when he was 6 weeks old, but he was still under the Rescue's incubation period for new dogs, so I was going to have to wait another week to bring him home. He came down with Parvo during that week while he was still at the Rescue.

That was ten years ago, by the way. Thankfully, my then one pound puppy, Tucker, pulled through after spending a week at the vet's. He's still going strong! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts