Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a little terrier mix (7yrs, 10lbs) named Buttercup and she’s the best! However, there are a few things going on with her, and I’m a little concerned about the combination and last night it seemed to worsen. First is that she has a hot spot on the base of her tail that is very irritated. She bites it constantly and it is extremely red. I have been treating it with hot spot spray, which seems to help but want to give full picture in case these are somehow related. Secondly, she coughs (or wheezes?) after eating or drinking water. I initially thought it was because she ate too fast (which is something she’s been known to do), but it is more frequent and also happens without eating prior. It sounds like something is up her nose and she’s trying to get it out by forcefully pushing air out of her nose. Last night she woke up from sleep with these little cough attacks twice (11pm and 4am). And lastly, this morning she ended up spitting up a bit of foam, about a dime size. She is a 10 lb terrier/chihuahua mix. She still has an appetite (will eat full meal as it’s presented) and energy (will still run up to greet me at door and gets excited for walks), although a little less of both. I’m wondering if I should be concerned, what could be the cause, and if I should take her into the vet, and at what point? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You have a couple of major indicators that something is amiss. She coughing and sputtering after eating or drinking, and she is more lethargic then you would consider normal. Those symptoms may or may not be related, and there may or may not be something medically going on with, her, but you are going to need your Vet to do a workup on her to know.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Google reverse sneezing chihuahuas. It's a thing that can happen, my dog sometimes does it after drinking too. Rub the neck on the side/back slowly anti-clockwise for a few mins or until it stops. Either side is fine. They are two seperate issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts