Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh this is a fun thread I'm gonna go take pictures of all my gear haha I'm such a saddo

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think it's sad, @BusterBCsMum ! At least, I want to see what nifty things you have for walking all those dogs...

Reactions: BusterBCsMum

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't think it's sad, @BusterBCsMum ! At least, I want to see what nifty things you have for walking all those dogs...
Thank you for reminding me! I'll go take pictures now haha :D

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Okay so I'm now just realising how much crap I have for dog walking haha. Some of this stuff is what I take to work and others is just with Buster. I'll admit, with Buster I usually take his collar, some treats and poop bags. Sometimes I won't even take a lead, I know I know, we live right next to the trails and honestly Buster is just amazing.

First is my little bumbag, I take this to work on my busier days, there's lots of space for treats in the top zip, more easily accessible than my other treat pouches. I can hook my poo bag holder onto the zip and keep my hand sanitizer, refill poo bags and tick puller. Then there's my little first aid kit and an extra double ended lead just incase.

Then there's Busters collar, this is his big boy collar. He's had the same one for years so I got him a new one and it's so grown up.

My little outward hound walking belt. I love this thing, place for water bottle, two zips, two netting slots aswell. Comes with a lead were you can change the length and it's double ended, clips onto two D rings that are on each side.

Last I promise haha. My little doggy water bottle, it all tips out into a little tray, really handy for getting all the dogs clean water. Hand sanitizer...dog walkers best friend. And a little collapsible water bowl with a carabiner so I can clip it onto my belt.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Leather nail pouch, used as a bait bag and to carry poop bags and my phone, if I can't fit it in my pocket, 2" wide dual martingale/flat collar, super nice, heavy duty 7ft leather multi-function leash.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I use leather collars and leads, treats and poop bags. If it's going to be a longer walk or getting warmer I also take water and a water bowl in a backpack. The boys are fine off lead in certain areas but I normally keep Freyja on a long line. Though sometimes I let her off leash too if we are in off areas where we almost never come across other people. I also keep glucose and my emergency glucose pen in my pack for me.

I'd never use a flexi leash, and it's be a nightmare trying to handle multiple dogs with them. It might work for one smaller well trained dog, but otherwise not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Treat pouch with treats, 4 foot nylon leash, kurgo harness, and poop bags.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Mobility scooter, (Yes, she loose leash walks!) pink poop bags, cell phone, and back pack filled with extra 'stuff' LOL!

P.S. When she gets tired she jumps on board......and also when we cross streets

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got so much gear it's ridiculous. Gotta get pictures now to!
My closet is filled with plain buckle collars, training collars and leashes, martingales, and harnesses, gentle leaders, and front clips. I have two long lines of different lengths.
For running I usually use a martingale and the Ruffwear Slackline. Harnesses chafe, so they are a no go for running.
Daily walks I usually use martingales on both dogs. Sometimes I use a gentle leader on my senior when we go places with lot's of dogs. When I am walking them individually, I always carry a training collar along and work a little on obedience on the walk.
When out in the pasture, it's usually regular harnesses for them. The Mali wears a Ruffwear Front Range and the senior wears a IDC harness.
I always wear a dog training vest with lot's of pockets for treats, toys, extra leash, pepper spray, and phone and things.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Little Trotter harness, it's the best one I've found so far for not choking him unless he pulls extra hard and that doesn't hurt his back.

6 ft leash

Poop bags

treats, must have treats. Currently I'm teaching him loose leash walking skills, and we're always working on his reactivity.

If I don't have pockets I'll take his treat pouch

Reactions: Bluesky1116

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nylon collar & leash for my large dog, nylon harness & leash for my small, poop bags, and treats. In the summer when we have to walk middle of the night to avoid the heat they have lights that attach to them for visibility.
I have a collapsing water dish and long lines as well for if we walk trails but they don't usually get much use. We mainly just walk in our neighbourhood.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Aside from the gear my dog wears (harness and lead) - typically I also carry iPhone, ear buds, house key, treats treats treats, Kong (for emergency distracting), poop bags, and most important: small squirt bottle filled with water and vinegar. This is for loose dogs in the neighborhood! a few squirts and they learn to stay the heck away.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I take my phone when I remember, particularly when we're out at night (safety) or on a longer bike ride (in case the bike or dog breaks down and we need a ride :) ). If there's a chance we'll stop somewhere to play or we may do some obed. work along the way, a ball for Bus. Poop bags if they haven't went already. Water/bowl if it's hot or we're going a long way- they'll drink out of the bottle, but so much gets wasted it makes more sense to take a bowl.

As far as gear on the dogs themselves, when we bike/walk at night, the dogs have reflective collar bands (just a 2" piece of reflective fabric with elastic, not an actual collar), I'm not sure where they are currently, but I'll be digging them out now that it's getting warmer. I usually walk them on whatever collars they have on, or just the leash slipped over their head if no collar on them. I do make sure no nylon or leather collars if we're going to the beach or park, as it's pretty much a sure bet that they'll get wet and we've ruined a bunch of stuff that way. The dogs have a wide assortment of beta/biothane collars (their usual wear) and a few leashes for those cases. I have a bunch of ID tags that get switched around between their collars, so they usually have one on if they're wearing a collar, and they're all microchipped.

Sometimes for walks, I'll dig out the (freedom) no pull harness for Roxie, or if I can't find it, will do a leash wrap on her instead because she likes to pull -and weave back and forth in front of us- when we first start, and I've never bothered to teach her otherwise (I don't always have much time to work with my own dogs, nevermind one that's not technically mine!). After a block or two, I switch her to the flat collar, or if my 12 yr old cousin is walking her, I keep it on her to make her more manageable. My preferred leashes for walking are leather, but in a pinch it doesn't really matter. I have a lot of different stuff, but it gets moved around and lost between my house and my parents' house, so my equipment choices are frequently more out of convenience/"this'll work" than "best tool".

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use always a nylon collar, a leather leash (without any loops), of course poop bags (but you can get them here everywhere at bins for free) and normaly some treats.
I have also my keys and phone with me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh man. Well I never leave the house without my phone, keys and wallet so they don't really count. I definitely look like I'm going hiking all the time. We are just going to the park to meet other dogs and do some walking. Just in case there is no dogs to play with I bring a Ball, 25 foot training leash, rope and a few retrieving training toys. Also Retractable leash, Harness, 6 foot leash, poop bags. Treats and water also a must. I haven't bought a pop up bowl yet. So I just let him drink from my hand. I pack everything in my book-bag and we are off.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'll take a picture later today! I always just take my dog's Timberwolf "Alpine" round rope style collar she always wears, our Timberwolf Alpine leash w/ the padded grip and traffic handle, plus an extra pinch collar "just in case" ...her leash manners are pretty damn good these days but I like to have it in case we go into a store or anything just to be 110% sure I will have complete control over her on a loose lead (I don't even always put it on her even if we go in stores but it makes me feel better to have depending on how energetic she is that day), and a big bottle of water and tupperware bowl to pour it into so she can drink. that's about it. =)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts