Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your favorite/what do you consider the BEST kibble brands ? (And I'm talking just Kibble, not canned, raw, or dehydrated) I feed Grain Free and usually aim for the foods that are higher in fat/protein because my dog is young, fit, high energy, and active. I have him on a rotational diet and am always looking to add more brands/flavors to it (and before you jump all over me because kibble is terrible - I feed a combination of kibble, canned, and rehydrated freeze-dried raw foods) I also have to admit I am semi-a snob in that if you can buy it in a grocery store, Walmart, or the huge commercial pet stores I'm probably not interested... And might be worth mentioning I buy my food from Chewy.com so if they don't carry it, I probably won't buy it.

My Definite yeses:
Orijen
Acana Regionals
Petcurean Go!
Earthborn Primitive
Horizon Legacy
Annamaet grain free

My maybes:
Pinnacle Peak Protein
Fromm
Earthborn grain free formulas (not as much meat in ingredients)
Precise Holistic ?
Blackwood ?
Castor & Pollux (although owned by Merrick) ?
PetCurean Now Fresh?
Halo?

Definite Nos:
Merrick
Nature's Variety (really between no and maybe)
EVO
Nutro
Innova
Blue Buffalo anything
Wellness
Purina anything
Canidae
Taste of the Wild
FirstMate
KASIKS
Under the Sun (made by Canidae)
Whole Earth Farms (made by Merrick)
Evangers
Royal Canin
Nulo
Newman's Own

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
One of my favourite foods is Fromm. Too bad my dogs usually hate it! LOL! I agree with a lot of your "no" choices, although, many, many people have had wonderful success with some of those foods.

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's a hard question because different dogs do well on different things. For my dog's needs/based on what I've tried and researched:

Budget: Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete or NutriSource Super Performance. I've heard Victor is pretty good and similar to these as well.

Mid: Dr. Tim's Pursuit or Momentum - I'm in the process of making a switch to this brand so we'll see how it goes, switching due to problems with stress diarrhea and not satisfied with coat condition (not that it's really bad, I just want better) on Extreme Athlete.

High price: EVO Red Meat.

From what my explorations have shown so far, my dog needs high protein and fat content (and by "high" fat content I mean Extreme Athlete was ideal at around 25% - quite high indeed), and does better with grain inclusive foods overall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
At the moment both of mine are on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream as both do best on fish based protein rather than fowl and red meat.
I also get my dog from chewy.com

·
Registered
273 Posts
What's wrong with Blue Buffalo and Wellness that they're on your "no" list? I feed mine Natural Balance LID and it doesn't make him throw up or get hives, so I like it lol

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My guys loved Taste of the Wild and did really well on it, my Aussie did terrible on Orijen, but now they're both on raw and thriving.

I really like Fromm, but it's hard to find around here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My puppy is on taste of the wild, She loves it. I did try giving her other brands to see if she would like them. Nope, She would not eat anything till I got taste of the wild back.

My girl would not even eat Fromm. Taste of the wild and few other brands are much easier to find around her. Most are over $60 a bag, no way I can afford that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like the fromm brand. The best food for them is probably the Fromms Prairie Gold. That can get pricey though. I also really like Open Farm. Once again pricey, but a VERY good food! I would look them up.

I wish i could understand why you put TOW on your No list. Its Grain-Free, High Protien, and lots of different flavors to choose from.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Right now the only food that works for my dog is Orijen and Acana.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My puppy is grain free and has tried a lot of foods. I have been trying to see what she likes best. She is finishing up her puppy food and switching to adult. She also eats fresh fruits and veggies as well as some dehydrated. I tend to go for foods that have a higher protein content. I also research most of my foods on dogfoodadvisor.com before purchasing.

She has tried:
Orijen
Earthborn Holistic
Nutrisource
Farmina N & D

Next on our list to try:
Nature's Instinct

My favorites have been Orijen and Farmina N & D. She also enjoyed Earthborn Holistic but that is more of a plant based kibble so it wasn't my favorite. If anyone lives in Minnesota fetchdelivers.com delivers to the twin cities and surrounding areas, so I usually order from them.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I like the fromm brand. The best food for them is probably the Fromms Prairie Gold. That can get pricey though. I also really like Open Farm. Once again pricey, but a VERY good food! I would look them up.

I wish i could understand why you put TOW on your No list. Its Grain-Free, High Protien, and lots of different flavors to choose from.

Most likely due to recalls.

I do wonder though why Nulo is on there?

My yes's would be:
Orijen/Acana
Zignature
Fromm
Rawz
Health Extension

·
Registered
453 Posts
My 2 dogs are now on Fromm 4-star. I've been trying to find a food they both like that has a family of varieties/proteins to rotate through to provide some variety, and Wellness was my first choice but the dogs didn't much like what we tried. The Fromm 4-star grain-free finally seems to provide both variety and taste they like. Yay! Luckily there is a local pet and feed store that stocks it and has even better pricing than online through chewy or amazon, so that makes me happy, too. It took a long time, and I was getting pretty tired of feeling like I might as well just flush money straight down the toilet. The only reason I can think of for leaving the Fromm line at this point is if one of the dogs develops either an allergy that can't be dealt with on Fromm or a condition/illness that requires something more specialized. I'm hoping (obviously) that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've had a great experience with Royal Canin food for both my dogs. Simba was previously on another brand's sensitive stomach food after having problems with pretty much every one we tried. He was doing alright but not perfect, our vet told us to try the RC one and he's been perfect ever since.

With Leia I've been free feeding her the RC giant puppy and in the past i've been concerned that she is underweight, since she is pure skin and bones. She doesn't seem to love the food and I've posted here about her weight before.

In the end though she gone from 17 so pounds in mid July to 88lbs last week so I'm guessing that she's getting some nutrition from it and if she's getting enough nutrition then I guess having near zero body fat is actually ideal from a joint health perspective.

According to the back of the bag one of the features is "Intense Growth - Controlled Energy
An adapted energy content helps support an intense growth rate and avoid excess weight gain during the first growth phase of giant breed puppies."

Normally I think that all the crap on dog food bags is just BS but I can't really argue with the results in this case

Leia's food says for puppies up to 8 months and next month when we change I'll definitely be going to RC Giant Junior

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a problem a year ago with Wellness Lamb and Barley. The second bag I purchased (on the second day of use) had some winged thing crawling up the inside of the bag. I returned it for a refund and got on online that day to find that folks had been finding (over a 4 month period at that time) various infestations. In some cases not till they got to the middle of the bag - maggots. I believe the infamous Diamond Foods had gotten into Wellness production.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
In some cases not till they got to the middle of the bag - maggots. I believe the infamous Diamond Foods had gotten into Wellness production.
It has been manufactured by diamond foods for a long time. This is a list that gives you all the foods associated with diamond.
Diamond Dog Food Recall Summary
I recommend Zignature. Its a good sold food and I have not seen any recalls.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Health Extensions Buffalo & Canine Caviar Open Meadow are my latest choices
I tend to like using limited protein, grainless kibble. I feed like you do (kibble, canned, dehydrated, home made, AND raw) I change my brands/protein frequently. My girl has a tummy of iron and has never had a problem with frequent switches of kibble brands.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts