Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about the funny things your dog is afraid of.

For instance I have a 7mo old lab who just recently became afraid of manholes. For the life of me i cant figure out why, as we have walked passed the same manholes for about 4months now. But quiet recently she started jumping over them, cowering behind me when we walk near one or pull on the leash to be able to go around it. Quite humorous really.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
For the most part Stella is pretty bombproof, but she's easily scared by the sound of a motorcycle engine or car without a muffler. When she was still a puppy we were at a dog street fair and these jerks on bikes came down the street and repeatedly riffed their engines, scaring the hell out of all the dogs. She's been sensitive to sounds like that ever since, and often flinches. She used to be scared of riding in the car, and occasionally she's still hesitant to jump ,but now she's good because we worked on it so much.

Tyrion is scared of most novel objects or loud noises until he sees they're safe. He's REALLY scared of heights though, particularly being carried near a staircase or down the stairs. He's also scared of the vacuum.

Baths are hated by both dogs, but I'm not sure if that is fear or just dislike for the bath itself.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Life. The wind blows the wrong way, rain, new objects, tarps, loud noises, the stairs leading to the basement (she still hasn't been down there) etc.

Reactions: MrsCunningham

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Levi has also recently discovered that manholes/sewer grates are terrifying. We have been CCing and he will tentatively approach them for treats. Work in progress.

Heidi fears nothing and no one.

Reactions: purplesully

·
Registered
41 Posts
Spunky (when she could actually hear) was afraid of thunderstorms and the buzzer on the dryer.

Shania was absolutely fearless. :p

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nothing really. He doesn't like the broom or the vacuum cleaner (he will just move away), he also doesn't like the large ceiling fan that opens up into the attic, but he isn't really afraid of it, he just avoids it when it is on.

Nothing else bothers him.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Thunderstorms, fireworks, the vacuum, people he does not know and has not approved of, any and all children under the age of 10 or so (I think it's a height thing), large dogs, gunfire. Since the fireworks display after the Christmas Parade last week he's also become fearful of loud noises after dark.

The strangest one though is he's afraid when I open my freezer door, it's usually enough to send him heading for the kitchen door.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Even though Chester was socialized a lot when he was small, there is a large number of things he is scared of.

Anything with air coming our of it, (hair dryers, fans) plastic bags spook him, some people, (not all) loud trucks and maybe most of all .. running water from any type of tap.

I may do a few training sessions with him to try to abolish or at least lessen his fear of running water.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
HaHa is afraid that he won't ever get enough attention.

Jaya...wow...compared to when I first adopted her...her confidence level has shot up 1,000 percent and she's lost her fear of so many things. I can even flip a light switch now and the click doesn't scare her : )

She still has issues though. One, is that she's terrified of my cat, Song. I'm not sure why she's so nervous around that cat. Song is pretty meek and mild. Jaya wasn't afraid of Kayla, my cat I recently had to put to sleep. Kayla use to hiss and spit at both of the dogs. I have noticed though that Song, being younger is more active and likes to play...and it's when she's moving around a lot that is when Jaya get's nervous. Kayla, being old, didn't do that as much. So maybe Jaya just doesn't like the chaotic actions of the cat.

Still...she's a much calmer dog than she use to be....I'm hoping in another year or two, the cat fear will go away too.

Stormy

·
Registered
911 Posts
Freyja, not much. Sometimes she'll be spooked by something new or out of place but she gets over it quickly. Last night it was someone's large reindeer lawn ornaments. We walked up to them and she sniffed the deer's butt and everything was fine. She is still getting use to the bathtub.

Shorty, also not much. The vacuum. The cat when he is in a pissy mood.

Vegas, nearly everything. Most animals large and small. Small dogs and large dogs. He's been attacked a few times by small dogs. Thunder, fireworks and other loud noises. But surprisingly not the vacuum.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reese is afraid of nothing. I don't think I've seen her spooked in the 10 years I've had her.

Echo isn't afraid of much, but doesn't like the vacuum at all. For her it's normally random objects that she thinks are scary, howls at them for a minute and then is totally ok with them.

Chess is scared of life. I think it'd be easier to list what she isn't scared of. Vacuums, gators, golf carts, wagons, drawers closing, any crinkly bags, big dogs, reclining chairs, loud noises. The list goes on. But then we have electric fences on the farm I live on, and she gets shocked and barely notices haha. She makes no sense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sammy was traumatized when the empty water bottle inside his new toy crackled. He ran to his safe place (under the bed) and stayed there until we threw the scary toy away.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thunderstorms, gunshots (which is a real pain in the butt since our nearest neighbors are a game farm so they hunt throughout the year) the generator, the vacuum. Yeah I think that's about the list. Meg doesn't really worry about thunderstorms, at least she hasn't had a lot of issues with it yet, but she's only three, gunshots also don't worry her too much, but her mom completely freaks out, then again her mom loves being brushed, Meg runs top speed in the opposite direction if she just sees a brush.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Life. The wind blows the wrong way, rain, new objects, tarps, loud noises, the stairs leading to the basement (she still hasn't been down there) etc.
Yep My female rottie, everything! She was barking at thunder the other night!
She is deathly afraid of the big bad wind!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Samantha is not afraid of much. Really loud thunder claps, she will look at me, I'll say its ok Samantha and she will close her eyes a go back to sleep. Same with fireworks and earthquakes. She doesn't much like the neighbors Lab, though she is not afraid of it, just wary.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Crutches and sometimes big bully breeds that are way bigger then her and the labradors! who can blame her at 5.7kg? Re crutches 2 weeks ago she got distracted when going for a wee by cooper brothers dog who live next door to me so i grabbed nearest pair of shoes (tiny heel) got up steps ok and walked around. Jessie finally went for wees i said good girl lets go inside and get you a treat so i put one foot down the steps then slipped and fell onto left leg and ankle onto concrete! biggest mistake made was weight bearing right away on that leg and foot to get inside the house which was excruciating! i rang ambulance i absolute agony and panic thought it was broken!

my ankle shin and foot was blue and so swollen i didnt realise brother and sister in law next door were calling for me so SIL came to check on me and i was in agony and said i called ambulance. Brother and SIL took care of me and dad ended up taking me to ED where had to get x ray. very bad sprain and torn ligaments with soft tissue damage. got off the crutches(which i managed to fall over with once) the friday gone! thank goodness jessie was so nervous and scared of them.

Still swollen and ive a hametoma on my shin i cant kneel properly to wrap presents and had to post SS gift while on crutches thankfully i didnt fall over LOL.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Nothing really. He doesn't like the broom or the vacuum cleaner (he will just move away), he also doesn't like the large ceiling fan that opens up into the attic, but he isn't really afraid of it, he just avoids it when it is on.

Nothing else bothers him.
Charlie really hates the vacum cleaner and jessie doesnt like it either!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
oh and charlie really hates baths you get a major work out, Jessie doesnt like them but tolerates them and the hair dryer, charlie wont go near hair dryer

·
Registered
641 Posts
Bees--or any insect that buzzes, really. A bee stung him in his behind when he was a puppy (which is what you get, I guess, when you dig up a ground bee's nest), and he's never forgotten it.

The last couple of days, at TDI events, he's had college students accidentally set of static electricity while ruffling his hair. He has not liked that either, though I suspect that's just he surprise of it happening, as it doesn't usually happen when he's petted. I'm thinking I may use some coat conditioner spray on him tomorrow before he does his final college TDI event of the semester and see if that doesn't help cut down on the static a bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chester picked up a dumbbell one time. Of course it was way heavier than he was expecting, so he dropped it, and it made a loud noise on the floor. Now he's afraid of dumbbells.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.