Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm seeing all sorts of contradicting information. Some people say to get angry and yell at them, other websites say to ignore them and leave the room immediately - other people say you need to train their bite inhibition

other weird thing is my girl is very gentle when she's in her exercise pen

but I take her out and she can get in a bad biting mood. Why is this? She's 10 weeks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
other weird thing is my girl is very gentle when she's in her exercise pen

but I take her out and she can get in a bad biting mood. Why is this?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Please don't yell at her. There is no reason to do that, it just makes you into an unpredictable and scary person, and damages the bond you are trying to build.

She is trying to play with you.

She isn't aggressive, this is just an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates but she needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - she will learn. You could use a house line to draw her away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

There is also something called ”extinction burst” that you should be aware of. This is when a behaviour that used to get attention no longer works for the dog so he tries it all the harder and it seems like things are getting worse, not better. This is good, because it means that what you are doing is starting to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please don't yell at her. There is no reason to do that, it just makes you into an unpredictable and scary person, and damages the bond you are trying to build.

She is trying to play with you.

She isn't aggressive, this is just an extension of the boisterous play she had with her littermates but she needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - she will learn. You could use a house line to draw her away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

There is also something called ”extinction burst” that you should be aware of. This is when a behaviour that used to get attention no longer works for the dog so he tries it all the harder and it seems like things are getting worse, not better. This is good, because it means that what you are doing is starting to work.

I saw a youtube video that says it's very important to train bite inhibition. The guy said you should allow her to bite you by scream "ow" so she bites with less and less intensity as time goes on

His whole logic is you want the dog to understand to use very little to no force when she does put her mouth on a human so it's ok in the future. In the future, he doesn't want her to be biting so hard when she does get startled or something happens

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
Like I said, that sometimes just ramps up the excitement of the game. But try it by all means - only it's a yelp rather than a yell.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, that sometimes just ramps up the excitement of the game. But try it by all means - only it's a yelp rather than a yell.
If I just do the redirect (with toys) and ignore when she gets in biting mood, that should be fine for her to develop her bite inhibition right?

·
Super Moderator
1,272 Posts
To avoid confusion, pick one of the three - yelping, redirection on to a toy, or walking out. It's the consistency and repetition that makes it work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To avoid confusion, pick one of the three - yelping, redirection on to a toy, or walking out. It's the consistency and repetition that makes it work.

I've done both the redirection and walking out, both have worked pretty well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts