Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I was hoping I could ask this huge, wonderful dog community what their thoughts on certain dog oral cleaning products were and which one(s) they felt was most effective at its job, removing "junk" off the teeth.

The products I've seen are... [if you know of anything else, please, do tell me!:)]
  • gel
  • chews [like Greenies]
  • bones [like rawhides or the like]
  • toothpaste
  • wipes
  • and toys [whether just a toy or those dental toys]
~Thank you in advance for any and all the help I can receive from you guys!:D

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hello guys,

I was hoping I could ask this huge, wonderful dog community what their thoughts on certain dog oral cleaning products were and which one(s) they felt was most effective at its job, removing "junk" off the teeth.

The products I've seen are... [if you know of anything else, please, do tell me!:)]
  • gel
  • chews [like Greenies]
  • bones [like rawhides or the like]
  • toothpaste
  • wipes
  • and toys [whether just a toy or those dental toys]
~Thank you in advance for any and all the help I can receive from you guys!:D
We give ours raw carrots.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Not trying to sound rude when I state this, but that works how?
If it works, does the how matter?

I might also add that he gets other fresh vegetables, rice bones as a treat, and we avoid processed foods.

Sure, he runs around off the lead/leash and can pick up any trash that people leave lying around. Dogs are dogs but we do our best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it works, does the how matter?

I might also add that he gets other fresh vegetables, rice bones as a treat, and we avoid processed foods.

Sure, he runs around off the lead/leash and can pick up any trash that people leave lying around. Dogs are dogs but we do our best.
I ask because I feed my dog carrots many times a week, however, I haven't seen any real change in her plaque build up. Maybe I started too late or need to start feeding her more though, who knows.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The routine I follow is that I brush my dogs teeth with 'TropiClean Clean Teeth Gel', give her raw chicken wings and necks, bully sticks, tracheas, and buffalo ears to chew and then throw in a "Ark Naturals Brushles-ToothPaste" chew......she is 4 1/2 years old and her teeth are nice and white, no tartar!
I really think the raw chicken and the TropiClean do the most as far as removing tartar, though nothing can replace just good ol' toothbrushing IMO!

·
Registered
502 Posts
The best combination for me has been giving them good chews(bully sticks, cow hooves, some raw bones) and a strong chlorhexidine dental spray. There are many many dental sprays/gels, but only ones with chlorhexidine have made a real difference for me. Their teeth are white and shiny and their breath is good, even the 14 year old, and they've never had a dental cleaning. I try to brush their teeth when I can, but I'm awful at remembering.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bandit can't stand getting his teeth brushed, but I give him raw bones and that's done wonderfully. I also started buying raw carrots for my two guinea pigs and learned that Bandit LOVES them, so he's been getting those recently. I think raw carrots are good for maintenance, but that's only if the teeth are already clean in the first place. I wouldn't use rawhide, there are some problems with them, but specifically from a teeth cleaning perspective they are very mushy once they get chewed up and I don't think they would help.

Basically, for a natural teeth cleaner, you want something that will crunch and rub against the teeth, which effectively brushes their teeth for you, and since raw hide stays in one piece it won't be able to effectively rub against the teeth like raw bones or carrots would.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The routine I follow is that I brush my dogs teeth with 'TropiClean Clean Teeth Gel', give her raw chicken wings and necks, bully sticks, tracheas, and buffalo ears to chew and then throw in a "Ark Naturals Brushles-ToothPaste" chew......she is 4 1/2 years old and her teeth are nice and white, no tartar!
I really think the raw chicken and the TropiClean do the most as far as removing tartar, though nothing can replace just good ol' toothbrushing IMO!
That's awesome, I've been actually looking into getting that TropiClean Clean Teeth Gel, but wanted to hear from other users what products they used. A groomer, before I just started grooming my dog myself, used that gel on her and it did wonders. That was only once. I was thinking of getting a bottle of that gel for myself since I've heard it works quite well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best combination for me has been giving them good chews(bully sticks, cow hooves, some raw bones) and a strong chlorhexidine dental spray. There are many many dental sprays/gels, but only ones with chlorhexidine have made a real difference for me. Their teeth are white and shiny and their breath is good, even the 14 year old, and they've never had a dental cleaning. I try to brush their teeth when I can, but I'm awful at remembering.
Thank you for your response! I've seen some spray products, but didn't know if they would even have any effect on cleaning, thanks for telling me the ingredient they need to be effective!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bandit can't stand getting his teeth brushed, but I give him raw bones and that's done wonderfully. I also started buying raw carrots for my two guinea pigs and learned that Bandit LOVES them, so he's been getting those recently. I think raw carrots are good for maintenance, but that's only if the teeth are already clean in the first place. I wouldn't use rawhide, there are some problems with them, but specifically from a teeth cleaning perspective they are very mushy once they get chewed up and I don't think they would help.

Basically, for a natural teeth cleaner, you want something that will crunch and rub against the teeth, which effectively brushes their teeth for you, and since raw hide stays in one piece it won't be able to effectively rub against the teeth like raw bones or carrots would.
Awesome, thanks for you in-depth reply! I'll look into seeing how see likes raw bones since we usually have some laying around. I've been giving my dog carrots for quite some time, but as you said, I think they're great for already clean teeth to maintain that look.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just be careful about the type of bones......the large long bones, weight bearing bones in beef or pork(femurs), are too hard and you risk your dog breaking its' teeth. Softer bones like raw chicken legs, neck, backs and wings, raw beef rib bones or raw lamb ribs are good. They are soft enough to chew and abrasive enough for teeth cleaning.
I've often thought those big soup bones I've seen in my grocery store would be like a really super treat for Molly, but I'd rather not risk her breaking a canine tooth!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I can relay our experience. When Samantha was three, her teeth desperately needed professional cleaning, as they had lots of plaque deposits on them. The process was very hard on her, with the anesthetic and all. I vowed to do whatever was necessary to eliminate or reduce the need for her to have to go through that again. Since then, I have been brushing her teeth daily, using CET toothpaste which contains enzymes to eliminate or reduce plaque. What I can tell you, is she is now 7 and a half years old, our Vet checks her teeth, and says they look good, and need no intervention. I really don't believe anything other than brushing daily will really help, as its that mechanical brushing action, I believe that does more to eliminate plaque than anything else.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Having multiple dogs of various breeds, shapes and sizes, I can, hand on heart, say I have never had to clean my dogs teeth nor had them done at a vets.

As said above, foods they have to chew, raw bones, carrots, chunks of raw meat and you do not get a problem with tartar or gum disease.

A friend bought my dogs a gum cleaning chew as a treat. They loved them, lasted the slowest earring dog about 15 seconds to finish. My Lab practically swallowed it whole!

Couldn't see how that helped clean their teeth.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just be careful about the type of bones......the large long bones, weight bearing bones in beef or pork(femurs), are too hard and you risk your dog breaking its' teeth. Softer bones like raw chicken legs, neck, backs and wings, raw beef rib bones or raw lamb ribs are good. They are soft enough to chew and abrasive enough for teeth cleaning.
I've often thought those big soup bones I've seen in my grocery store would be like a really super treat for Molly, but I'd rather not risk her breaking a canine tooth!
Awesome, thanks for that information, I will be sure to keep that in mind when I am looking for the proper bones for my dog. Right now she just chews ears and whatnot, doesn't clean the teeth though, just a treat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can relay our experience. When Samantha was three, her teeth desperately needed professional cleaning, as they had lots of plaque deposits on them. The process was very hard on her, with the anesthetic and all. I vowed to do whatever was necessary to eliminate or reduce the need for her to have to go through that again. Since then, I have been brushing her teeth daily, using CET toothpaste which contains enzymes to eliminate or reduce plaque. What I can tell you, is she is now 7 and a half years old, our Vet checks her teeth, and says they look good, and need no intervention. I really don't believe anything other than brushing daily will really help, as its that mechanical brushing action, I believe that does more to eliminate plaque than anything else.
Thank you so much for telling me! I used to brush Katy's teeth, but then when the groomer just put a little cleaning gel on her teeth it did wonders. I might find better luck using toothpaste with the right enzymes as the one I was using didn't have those. Thanks!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts