Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done my research and I know what ingredients are "bad", but the dog food my vet recommends (IAMS for puppies) is full of the junk I'm trying to avoid! Should I feed my dog this "filler" food or do I need to consider switching to a more healthy diet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Listen to your vet- not the internet. Natural diets have become such a huge fad and a danger to the health of pets. Most new "natural, premium" foods are made by small companies that have not performed any research and for the most part, do not know what they are doing. I would stick with Iams, Purina, Hill's Science Diet, Eukanuba or Royal Canin, ESPECIALLY for a puppy. 0-1 year of age it is crucial that the puppy has the right balance of nutrients to grow properly. Ingredients deemed as "junk" on the internet serve a purpose in the diet. More importantly, one must look at the nutrient panel of the food. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I disagree with the above. Vets are, as a whole, not nutritionists and know next to nothing about food. Taking food advice from your vet (about a healthy dog with no medical problems) is like taking vet advice from your trainer. They should stay in their own fields.

There is an enormous difference when you feed quality food. I'm currently feeding Orijen.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Oh my, I could not disagree more! I would feed my dog the best quality food that I could afford--especially a growing puppy! You know what to look for--real meat (not by products), preferably no grains, not a lot of filler crap. Unfortunately, vets are trained in nutrition by the big pet food manufacturers, and only now are some of the more progressive vets starting to think for themselves. You will see the results for yourself if you switch him from Iams to a better quality diet. There are going to be nutrients in food that we have not discovered yet, so there is no substitute for real food ATM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would love to see a source from where you learned that vets are "not nutritionists and know nothing about food," or that they "are trained in nutrition by the big pet food manufacturers." Many of the new natural foods are wayyyy too high in ash, resulting in a scary increase of urolith and kidney failure cases. Therefore I would say nutrition IS in their field- they have to fix what all these new companies have done to the pets of parents who are ill informed.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I would love to see a source from where you learned that vets are "not nutritionists and know nothing about food," or that they "are trained in nutrition by the big pet food manufacturers." Many of the new natural foods are wayyyy too high in ash, resulting in a scary increase of urolith and kidney failure cases. Therefore I would say nutrition IS in their field- they have to fix what all these new companies have done to the pets of parents who are ill informed.
And yet, the nutritionist I consult with (who has her doctorate and teaches at the local veterinary college) prefers the high quality, low carb foods.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If your dog does well on Iams then stick with what works.
If you decide that Iams isn't working for your pup, you can always switch to something more natural. I know a few people that feed Iams and their dogs do well on it but unfortunately my dog does not. I have to feed her grain-free because of her tummy and skin issues. I feed Annamaet which is low in ash and is affordable.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I wouldn't say all vets are terrible about food knowledge, but recommending Iams does make me wonder what this particular vet gains from this. It's pretty hit and miss, and Iams isn't a better food.

Dogfoodadvisor.com tends to rate foods well. Aim for 4-5 stars, 3 is acceptable, and anything lower I would avoid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys,

Thank you so much for the input! I've seen this brand called Pure Balance that looks like the "right" kind of ingredients. Does anyone know anything about it?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Vets are taught very little about nutrition in school. They are given a basic crash course that is often sponsored by Hills and is very biased towards their products. They are also given a lesson on how to sell this product. This is why you hear about a lot of vets recommending and selling Science Diet to their patients. A lot of vets also get paid to push Hills products on their clients. Unless they do their own research, this is usually the basic and general knowledge of your average vet.

This is just one source I have bookmarked (I'm just about to leave so I don't have time to find more), but I'm sure others have some more. If not, I'll gladly provide more once I'm back at home.

Myths About Raw: Is my vet really qualified to be giving nutritional advice?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Guys,

Thank you so much for the input! I've seen this brand called Pure Balance that looks like the "right" kind of ingredients. Does anyone know anything about it?
Pure Balance is a pretty good food. I'd switch to it and see if your pup does well on it after a month/a month and a half. The biggest indicators that he's reacting well to it is a shiny coat and solid poop.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Listen to your vet- not the internet. Natural diets have become such a huge fad and a danger to the health of pets. Most new "natural, premium" foods are made by small companies that have not performed any research and for the most part, do not know what they are doing. I would stick with Iams, Purina, Hill's Science Diet, Eukanuba or Royal Canin, ESPECIALLY for a puppy. 0-1 year of age it is crucial that the puppy has the right balance of nutrients to grow properly. Ingredients deemed as "junk" on the internet serve a purpose in the diet. More importantly, one must look at the nutrient panel of the food. Good luck!
Before I changed vets with Jessie , the vet I was with was pushing me into buying either hills c/d or royal canin urinary s/o but mostly hills. Now this is complete truth and from the vets mouth. I told him I got acana pacifica will that be ok to feed her and his response was this.

"I cant tell you if the acana will work or not im only trained on hills and royal canin. Us vets don't get much training on nutrition apart from learning about hills and royal canin."

Now for him to admit that was hard for him. Vets are lead to believe that hills royal canin are the best you can buy for your dog when they aren't. Instead they are full of corn, gluten meal, by products, caramel/colorants. There's no meat veggies or fruits in them.

dogs survive on hills, royal canin, Eukanuba, iams, advance, nutro. They thrive on healthy foods like acana, merrick, orijen, wellness those are a few examples of high quality foods.

yes some dogs do best on low quality food full of fillers and full of grains but majority do not.

Recently I helped my friend get his dog sky onto holistic select chicken and oatmeal dry food. Before that food was on bad wet food. Now she's on the holistic select dry food she gobble it down, eyes bright and sparkling, heap more energy and life in her and losing the weight she has to lose.

Also my dog Charlie did badly on royal canin neutered large breed mature he stank and was kifeless put him on pet curean now fresh senior he got back to the Charlie I knew happy and bouncy and the smell went!

that's my two cents and a admission from the previous vet I had before changed to current one.

Reactions: pappi pup

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
OP id go with your instincts and feed a diet thats healthy and full of goodness

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recommend Taste of The Wild. My dogs love it. My vet recommended Iams also. Taste of The wild is a high quality brand that gives you great results. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

This is absolutely false. The food brands you mention are full of ingredients that are proven be unhealthy for a dogs diet. Ingredients deemed as junk, are in fact junk. Many healthy options exist for puppy chow. Also you should definitely not be feeding puppy food up to a year old.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We always fed our dogs Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Blend..I think that's what it was called (orange bag). They seemed to love it, but then I read somewhere that they always have recalls. They did really enjoy the food though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is absolutely false. The food brands you mention are full of ingredients that are proven be unhealthy for a dogs diet. Ingredients deemed as junk, are in fact junk. Many healthy options exist for puppy chow. Also you should definitely not be feeding puppy food up to a year old.
Do you know what to look for in a nutrient panel?

·
Registered
292 Posts
uggh.

I had a vet recommend eukenuba...dogs hair fell out.
Switched to Wysong and he got better.
That was a lot of years before.
I will say best bang for your buck is going to be Taste of the Wild puppy.
Very highly spoken of with a lot of people who do know of nutrition for dogs.
As it was stated, TOTW is made by Diamond and there is quite a few recalls from their plant.
Many a different food comes out of there.
If money is no matter, go with Orijen or Acana.
Iams, eukanuba, and kraft dinner all fall in the same league to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts