Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here speak puppy? I'm usually really good at reading the signals and messages all my dogs give me but this new puppy does something odd / funny and I can't figure out what's behind it. He's 10 weeks old and has discovered the joys of climbing up stairs, but he's still too little / too afraid to climb down the stairs. So he bounces up to the top, very proud of himself, then realizes everyone else is downstairs. So he stands at the top of the stairs yelping and whining until someone goes to get him. But, as you start to approach the top of the stairs he backs up and barks his fool head off at you. LOL It's so cute and I usually stand there and laugh at him - the more I laugh, the more he barks. Then when you step forward to pick him up, he runs away, but still looks back and barks. This happens EVERY time he climbs up the stairs (about 10 times a day) and he always barks at the one who tries to help him, looking very adamant and serious. Cracks me up but I feel bad laughing at him if he's really trying to tell me something important. Any guesses what message he's trying to convey or is he just being a silly puppy?
Sue

·
Registered
299 Posts
maybe he is not yelping and whining for you to come fetch him. maybe he is doing it because he wants you to JOIN him upstairs. he doesnt really want to come down again, he just wants company up there and someone to celebrate with him that he got up there by himself. hence the running away and barking when you try pick him up to take him down. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe he is not yelping and whining for you to come fetch him. maybe he is doing it because he wants you to JOIN him upstairs. he doesnt really want to come down again, he just wants company up there and someone to celebrate with him that he got up there by himself. hence the running away and barking when you try pick him up to take him down. ;)
That makes a lot of sense.... very well could be! But, the upstairs is where the bedrooms are so normally when we're up there he gets put into his nighttime crate next to our bed and it's lights out. I doubt he WANTS to do that, but who knows? Maybe when he keeps marching up the stairs he's trying to tell me he's tired and ready for a nap. :)
Sue

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Haha! Cute! :D
My guess without seeing in person would be probably just attention seeking/play invitation like already suggested!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha! Cute! :D
My guess without seeing in person would be probably just attention seeking/play invitation like already suggested!
Actually maybe HE doesn't even know why he's doing it! You know what a bundle of energy and confusion they are when they're that young..... me may be wondering where the barking is coming from! Gotta love 'em!
Sue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe he wants to work out how to go down the stairs but is scared to do it without someone to watch him. My pup does the same barking/ whining thing at the top of the stairs until you get to her. We started to encourage her coming down the stairs herself. She still barks out of laziness but if you encourage her enough she will so it herself, slowly but she will ha! I'd say the continuation of the Barking is an attention thing. Maybe sit at the top of the stairs until he comes to you then carry or encourage him down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.