Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had Betsy for just over 4 years & she's about 8/9 now. A little background info, she has always been a nervous dog around other dogs, although is pretty fine now. She loves people, but is a licker (I know that can be a submissive thing). Both my husband & I are on the same page when it comes to dogs, we are softly spoken with her, never scold (not that she needs us to) I tend to do the majority of care due to work schedules, she follows me everywhere, always has. That said, she adores my husband & he her (we can't ever discuss what might happen when she may need help out of this world rolleyes.gif )
Now, most evenings about once an hour, she looks at us to be let out to toilet. (She doesn't bark) doesn't settle until about 8:30/9pm, but when I am alone, if husband is away on business, she flakes out, don't hear a peep out of her until I'm ready to go to bed, when I have to wake her. Why would her behaviour be so different when the 2 of us are home? This isn't a problem, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Animals can be confusing sometimes can't they. : )

Dogs know different people and how they act. They know which people feed them, which people walk them, which ones go for longer walks, which ones offer more treats, and so much more. It can be hard to know what subtle differences Betsy may see in her schedule when your husband is home and when he isn't. Perhaps she gets an extra treat, perhaps she gets more time outside, or perhaps the two of you are more likely to talk and so she likes to come and spend time listening to what you do.
I know that our dogs behave differently with us as well in that when I walk them they know I let them wander further then when my brother does, and so they are more likely to do it. Also, when Esther, our cocker spaniel mix, goes outside with me she stays by the porch and won't follow me but when my mother goes out she will follow right behind her the whole time. That is because my mom is like their favorite person ever and their leader and they love to spend time with her, knowing she is calm and steady and they can completely trust her.

I hope this explains some things. You can have fun watching her and seeing how she reacts to when it is just you and when you and your husband are both there. Dog behavior is so interesting and each dog is an individual.

Best of luck! : )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.