Dog Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
his last weigh in was 84lbs...i've had to loosen his collar a notch since then so i'm guessing he is more than 90 now (when i adopted him they told me he'd probably be around 60...) he looks really big in the video cuz my roommate is really little...about 5 feet tall.

Holy cow...wow...yes he is WAY bigger than I thought he was.

I can never figure out video editing software...thats why my vids are nothing spectacular.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
oooo, i didn't think that cane corso was that common here...i was definately thinking along those lines...mastiff and lab :)

still trying to guess how big he'll get, every time i think he's done with most of his growing, now he's just gonna fill in, he has a big spurt....so much harder to guess when you don't know how old they are...i'm guessing he was a bit younger than i though when i got him and that he'll end up just over 100lbs....thanks for the picture...looks a lot like him!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I see them on a regular basis... they are really nice dogs...several of my customers have them and I see them at the dog park all.the.time. I even found one running loose in a parking lot once.

My other thought was perhaps Presa Canario, but they are really muscular and tho Iam sure Clover is strong, he doesn't look like a body builder. :p

no doubt the people you got him from got his age wrong...the dog we rehomed was supposed to be 2. Took her to be spayed and they were like "oh shes no older than 7 months..." and laughed at the suggestion the dog was 2.... Scooter was supposed to be 5-7 and when he got injured the vet said he was no less than 10...because I though he was younger I over did the exercise and hurt his back....so people screw it up the ages all the time.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I have learned it as cane corso too, but them and the dogo argentine fall IN the mastiff group. I think hes gotta have mastiff him in hands down!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
English mastiffs are the ginormous ones...they get up to about 200 lbs sometimes. The size of the neo but they are the tan sometimes brindle ones

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
English mastiffs are the ginormous ones...they get up to about 200 lbs sometimes. The size of the neo but they are the tan sometimes brindle ones
yeah, i know they are sooo huge, but i didn't think it was exactly normal for all of them to be that big....i haven't had a chance to look it up, but my suspision is that the corso is a bit...more compact than the english/neo?
Corsos have less of the typical mastiff extra skin (especially on the face) and pretty much every one I've seen has been brindle.
this makes more sense, i haven't seen as many english mastiffs that are brindle....
yeah Italian mastiff. :) Sorry I should have called it that...Iam so used to saying corso

how much food do you go through?
we go through about...4 cups of kibble, split in half 2xs a day, but lots of times there is left over, plus i feed about 1 cup of stuff i make, plus treats....ever since the first month when he was still pretty skinny and would eat anything you put in front of him...until i thought he would burst...his appetite has gotten a bit more stable, but he goes through these really ravenous spurts sometimes....

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i ALWAYS wanted this type of dog, not a specific breed, but the big, sorta goofy, sorta muscley, dogs are my favorite! and i really love brindle...i know this sounds really...stupid, but when i got clover, i had been trying to stay away from that since i rent my house and people freak about all those breeds so i allowed myself to believe all the stuff the adoption place said about him. they thought he was a plott hound....anyway, i'm so glad i kept going back to his pic online! anyway, what i'm trying to say is that you should probably get one...they're great!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They are more compact. The thing I don't like about mastiffs are the droopy extra skin and slobber...these aren't that way. :)

if I had fewer dogs or a bigger house, I'd go for it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
They are more compact. The thing I don't like about mastiffs are the droopy extra skin and slobber...these aren't that way. :)

if I had fewer dogs or a bigger house, I'd go for it.
he's not that big...;) i guess since i grew up with 100lb+ dogs it just seems normal to me....

clover drools, sometimes he'll walk around w a big ol shoestring hanging and we all try to get him to wipe it on each other (he gets so excited about all the attention) once, my sis was laying on the sofa and he had one and i asked her to hand me his hanky to wipe it and she turned and started trying to be funny with smart ass answers and clover got all excited and ran over to her...guess who got a big slobber shoestring right up the nose....it was priceless

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool thread dissection!

do you get people saying "what is he? A horse? hahahahah"

I hear people say that to big dog owners all the time....lame.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
most people say "oh is he a pit?" and i always answer "there are a lot of dog breeds that can be brindle, from hounds, to shepherds, greyhounds, bulldogs....not just pitbulls" i always get a little offended about it, not cuz i don't like pits, more because usually the only reason 99% of people say that is because he is brindle...

or they say "what kind of dog is that?" and i say "hyena mix" and they say "oh really, i knew a guy with a dingo..."

no matter what though, people stop me all the time when i have him out and about, i've had people stop in their cars to ask! luckily, he's my favorite subject lately (in case you hadn't noticed:)) so i don't mind stopping to talk about him plus its good practice for him getting used to strangers

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts