Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody!!! I am a previous owner of several of "man's best friends". I started owning dogs at ann early age (I'm an only child and my parents figured I needed a "sibling", I guess). In the beginning, I didn't train my dogs. I was too caught up in just having a "playmate". Later in life, I had the misfortune of many (a sick and dying parent). I was in the military and subsequently had to get out to take care of my father because there was no one else to do the job. I also had to work because we were not in a position to pay for in-home care for him. Because I had to be away from home throughout the day I felt it best to provide him with some degree of protection as he had to be by himself during the daytime. So, we got a dog. And had our pet protection and guard trained. I had a wonderful trainer, but having to transfer what the trainer taught the dog was tedious and time-consuming. To make a too long story short, we spent a lot of time running back and forth to the trainer's to learn to mimic the trainer's role as "Alpha". That took a lot out of the both of us. I don't want to make the same mistake with another "family"member, so my question is "what's better, video or books for self-training?" Any and all feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!!!.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do you learn better by reading or through the use of video aids? Personally I am a voracious reader and, accordingly would go that route. Several of my best friends likely haven't read a book or a lengthy article in many years. For them I would advise video aids. As I type this though I can understand how seeing exactly what is being described would be very helpful in dog training so I would pick a good, current book on training concepts and a video series from a well respected trainer in the type of training I want to accomplish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts