Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I'm in over my head. I had heard that chihuahuas were hard to house train but I never imagined it would be THIS hard.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Be specific, what method are you using? Are you crate training, using puppy pads, or some other method? Do you make sure to praise and treat when then dog goes outside?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, my computer crashed and I didn't know that post went through.

I am using pads and in a confined area too. He is fine with pooping but we're at zero when it comes to peeing. And the problem is ME. I can be 6 inches away, staring right at him, and still not know when he's about to pee.

He pees such a tiny amount that by the time I pick him up and put him on the pad he's already done. So I never get to praise him for going on the pad. But otherwise, like I said, the problem is me. I had puppies as a kid but I guess I didn't help train them as much as I thought I did.

He is super smart, he already knows 3 commands, so I figure by this time he thinks it's OK to pee on the floor. I need a do-over :(

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Sorry, more questions :)

How old is he? How often do you take him out? Is there a reason you are using pads as opposed to going outside?

Sometimes pads can make it more difficult as the dog can't always make the distinction between pad and floor (outside vs inside is much more clear). Sometimes it's also easier to train a dog to go outside because you can walk around outside and that stimulates the need to "go".

If he's very young, his bladder won't be able to hold much and you may want to give him bathroom access every 45 minutes or so. Not to say he can't hold it longer than that, but it's easier in the long run to just set him up for as much success as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is going on 11 weeks.

I live in an apartment building where there are a lot of dogs. I don't want to take him out until he's had his second set of shots.

Sometimes pads can make it more difficult as the dog can't always make the distinction between pad and floor (outside vs inside is much more clear).
He does poop on the pads consistently though.

I was going to buy a "potty patch" thing but I couldn't decide which one. They all seem to be different.
http://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Its possible he doesn't know he has to go until he absolutey has to, so he just squats where he is.

It may be helpful to bring him over to the pad frequently and see if you can convince him to go (unfortunately I don't have any great tips on how to do so other than to just keep him on the pad).

If you can attach a command to going - may dog pees when I tell him "go potty" - it is especially helpful as you can get it done quickly.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If he is still at an age where that can happen, that makes me feel better.
Rest easy, he's still very young in the potty training department! Most puppies don't get real bladder control/awareness until 12 weeks or so, and smaller breed puppies can take longer.

Your best bet is just to anticipate and give him lots of chances to go (even if doesn't know he needs to) until he gains the ability himself :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
If he is still at an age where that can happen, that makes me feel better.

Yep, he's well within the I need to go NOW age. In human years he'd be around the age of a 2 or 3 year old child, and what happens with them is that they get busy doing what they are doing and don't realize they need to potty until it's to late.

Pooing is a bit easier to master because the puppy does not need to go as frequently and they cannot usually perform the squat and go right away move so an owner has a chance to grab them and put them where they should go. It's also very distinctive from peeing so it's quite possible for a pup to learn to poo in the designated place and pee where every they happen to be.

You'll need much more confinement for him unless he has just pottied where he should, then and only then can you let him have some freedom. Are you ultimately going to have him only potty outside, or are you O.K. with him using the pads. If your goal is only outside I'd start taking him outside to potty now, it'll make your life easier in the long run since you won't have to break an ingrained habit of pottying inside. What you can do is carry the pad outside with him and put it down and keep him on it till he potties, when he does so throw a potty party and give him some really tasty treats. Then back inside he gets a bit of freedom till the next scheduled break. Once he's finished the shots you can either do away with the pads right away, or if he's refusing to go anywhere but on them you can start shrinking the pads, cut it in half, then in half again, etc, until it's so small that he's forced to potty on the grass rather then the pad, once that happens stop using the pad.

If you'er O.K. with him continuing to use the pads then I'd set up a very distinct potty area that's easily recognized by him, many use the bathroom as their area. Paper the floor with the pads so that he cannot avoid using the pad then put him in their when you know he has to go and wait. As soon as you see him potty and his butt starts to rise give him a tasty treat and some praise, then let him have some freedom. Keep the floor in that area papered with the pad till he's consistently using that area to potty then start so slowly, one pad at a time, remove the pads till you're down to just one. Dogs are surface oriented when it comes to pottying and they prefer absorbent surfaces in addition to location, so by setting up a designated area, and forcing him to use the pads, you'll help him form the habit of going there and pottying on the pads.

Reactions: Jeru

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal was to have him use a potty patch on my balcony. So far he thinks the artificial grass is great... to try to eat, lol. He is getting better with the pads though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well he was getting better with the pads. Today it's like he's never even seen one before. I'm very frustrated!

·
Registered
438 Posts
You have an 11 week old tiny breed dog. It's going to take some time. Be patient.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What I did for the first week with my new puppy was to record every time she ate or drank and then every time she pee'd or poo'd. I learned pretty quickly that she liked to pee 20-30 minutes after drinking, and at first about every 40 minutes if she hadn't had a drink.
If you can figure out some sort of timing or schedule (if your dog has one naturally), then you can start proactively working on the situation by placing your dog on the pads roughly around the time it has to go pee, and the praise, praise, praise when it pees on the pads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well progress was made, but we are back to square 1. He was 100% pad trained and learning to go outside, but I guess I took the pads away too soon, because now he is back to going everywhere! I put a pad back out but it didn't help.

He doesn't like it outside and plus it takes too long to put his coat on. I really didn't want to do this, but I wonder if I should just use a litter box instead. Does anyone have any experience with that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...and today I took him out on the balcony at 11:54. He peed. Then he peed on the floor at 12:13 and again at 12:23! Could there be something wrong with him?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it seems to be related to the time of day. He is usually fine at night and when he's penned, but at other times he pees every 15-30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
When he's asleep, his metabolism slows down so he doesn't need to go out as much. When he's awake and active, he'll need to go out more frequently.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My goal was to have him use a potty patch on my balcony. So far he thinks the artificial grass is great... to try to eat, lol. He is getting better with the pads though.
Why not train on the patch out side. It will get you on a schedule of taking him out. Right now you are teaching him it is OK to go inside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I take him out about once an hour and he pees nearly every time - I only remember one time when he didn't. And again, there are times when once an hour is not enough, he'll pee every 15 minutes or so. When he pees frequently it's always large amounts too - maybe he's just drinking too much water too fast?

He seems fine otherwise but I might take him to the vet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts