Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got this idea from Pawz ;)

I hear about alot of people putting a dog to sleep after a bite or snap, no questions asked.

Aparently as a young child I toddled up to the beloved family dog and she snapped at me. They euthanized her. She didn't even live with me. It was my grandparents dog. They could have easily put her outside when I visited. I think they simply felt that when a dog snaps at a child the only solution is to kill it. I can't say I agree.

I think about this dog (that I never "met") , alot...I honestly wish she hadn't been put down, as Iam sure I spooked/irritated her in som' way.

Critter has bitten myself and my husband. Both times while being restrained to be examined. She is absolutely terrified of many things, especially restraint, so I feel the bites were "deserved" more or less.

Scooter aparently snapped at my mother(who he had only met once or twice before). She came into my work and gave him a bone (I was unaware) and then moments later, tried to take it from him. She was very upset that he snapped at her and kinda hinted that i "do som'thing" about it. I asked why she tried to take it after just giving it to him and she gave me a "just because" type answer....

So I did do som'thing about it...I told her she was in idiot and to not feed my dog anymore...please. For the record Scooter never once...ever...snapped at us...or anyone else...imagine tho...other people would have killed him over that moment of stupidy on their part.

Personally I feel dog bites are provoked 99% of the time....

Why do you think people jump to euthanasia when a dog bites? For a dog, using its mouth to comunicate is normal behavior. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Good topic ;)

I agree it is extremely rare for a dog to bite unprovoked, whether it be eye contact, movement (leaning over the dog), loud noise, etc. If my dog ever bit me I doubt it would be a random bite vs me getting in the way of a fight, playtime, or spooking my dog when he didn't realize it was me.

People turn to euthanasia I think because they do not realize a dog is still an animal and still has instinct. It seems any animals that has been domesticated is expected to behave and think.

Also animals who bite people more than once are not to blame but the owner is to blame. Harvick has never bitten anybody but I feel he has the potential to if he is cornered or feels threatened. So what do I do? Not put him down, but leash him for walks, tell people to please not come over to him because he is nervous, put him in his kennel when multiple people come over, etc.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
if any dog bit me i would try to figure out what i had done to cause it so i could avoid doing it again.
i don't understand why people think that a dog biting is a death sentence for the dog.
my cousin bit me once when we were kids, we didn't have her put down. and she was aggressive, she bit my aunt a bunch of times and not once did anyone say "oh maybe we should put her down"

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
if any dog bit me i would try to figure out what i had done to cause it so i could avoid doing it again.
i don't understand why people think that a dog biting is a death sentence for the dog.
my cousin bit me once when we were kids, we didn't have her put down. and she was aggressive, she bit my aunt a bunch of times and not once did anyone say "oh maybe we should put her down"
LOL exactly!!! we dont put people down for horrible things often...the death penalty is rarely used anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a lot to this subject. Biting during exam can be easily cured by muzzling or often vets wrap the muzzle with gauze (around the muzzle secured behind the neck) The other biting is a training exercise. I've been bitten years ago when I grabbed a training bumper at the same moment the dog grabbed it. I immediately corrected the dog probably in a way I would never do again. Put him (90 lb lab)on his back and cuffed him under the chin yelling. I was hurt and mad and made him nervous of the bumper again. That was wrong. I had to retrain and trained him NOT to grab the bumper with my hand on it unless I said "fetch" We did that for a week. Fortunatly he did no loose his desire to retrieve nor was he afraid of me. Labs can be so forgiving. I couldn't hold a pencil for a week either, but the dog never did it again.
Food training needs to be done early. Train it over and over and test occasionally. Figure out what is setting the dog off and train the dog to tolerate it. If you avoid it then the dog is leading you!
http://www.alaskadognews.com

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know, it would depend a lot on the instances involved, if it was clear that it was human error and there was lots of warning before hand I would put it down to my fault if I got bit, and still my fault if someone else got bitten and I didn't stop it.

But if it was not human error, no cause could be found and no warning given I would have the dog medically checked and a behaviourist brought in.

And I am saying this from having a dog pts last year after it bit me, as after he was medically checked over it was suspected Rage, and when he was pts and had a autospy it was confirmed rage syndrome, but that was extreme, in the fact that one minute he was his usual self and wagging his tail, the next minute he went into attack mode, I saved my other dog, but ended up in hospital for three days, and had to have a emerency op to save my arm, so it was cleary not normal behaviour, and something had to be very wrong with him, which it was.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oh my Chaz...thats quite a story

Ironically We just had an incident last night.

We had a party and I had all the dogs with me/or my husband except one...my elderly pomeranian which I thought was in a back bedroom asleep (she sleeps alot)

I was also under the impression that the kids visiting our home were being supervised by one of their parents.

Little girl about 7 comes out saying "creature bit me" and holding her arm..I ask what happened, if they were feeding her or if her hair got pulled...the girl replies "I was just petting her" (which I didn't buy)...she had a tiny pea sided scrape of skin missing...like the top layer, it wasn't even bleeding...she was mostly startled

aparently the bedroom door got opened (by one of the kids) and the dog either came out or was carried out by the kids...

So after this Im sitting in the living room watching these kids like a hawk and she goes over to my cat (who is hiding under the table because she has been all over him all night) I ask what shes doing and she replies "petting biscuit" at that moment she drags the cat out from under the table hugging him as hard as she can.

So I can only conclude that she squeezed the stuffing out of my old dog and she nipped her... the wound was in a place that would be infront of the dogs face during a bear hug...what boggles my mind is that she immediately, within 15 minutes did it to another animal.

So I learned alot from this. I blame myself, tho I don't feel I should have to keep my dogs in padlocked crates in my own home. I need to 110% make sure the dogs are where I put them, and that a lot of kids get bit doing stupid things and alot of dogs probably pay the price.

The parents were unconcerned and told her simply "leave the dogs alone", I had to wash her arm, and I had to watch her the rest of the night.

for the record we are NOT going to euthanize the dog. ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts

We had a party and I had all the dogs with me/or my husband except one...my elderly pomeranian which I thought was in a back bedroom asleep (she sleeps alot)

I was also under the impression that the kids visiting our home were being supervised by one of their parents.

Little girl about 7 comes out saying "creature bit me" and holding her arm..I ask what happened, if they were feeding her or if her hair got pulled...the girl replies "I was just petting her" (which I didn't buy)...she had a tiny pea sided scrape of skin missing...like the top layer, it wasn't even bleeding...she was mostly startled

aparently the bedroom door got opened (by one of the kids) and the dog either came out or was carried out by the kids...

So after this Im sitting in the living room watching these kids like a hawk and she goes over to my cat (who is hiding under the table because she has been all over him all night) I ask what shes doing and she replies "petting biscuit" at that moment she drags the cat out from under the table hugging him as hard as she can.

So I can only conclude that she squeezed the stuffing out of my old dog and she nipped her... the wound was in a place that would be infront of the dogs face during a bear hug...what boggles my mind is that she immediately, within 15 minutes did it to another animal.

So I learned alot from this. I blame myself, tho I don't feel I should have to keep my dogs in padlocked crates in my own home. I need to 110% make sure the dogs are where I put them, and that a lot of kids get bit doing stupid things and alot of dogs probably pay the price.

The parents were unconcerned and told her simply "leave the dogs alone", I had to wash her arm, and I had to watch her the rest of the night.

I notice a huge amount of dog bites are typically to children or drunk people, I am not kidding...an akita that had no issues ever at the age of 4 tore the heck out of a ladies face cuz she was drunk and grabbed him on both sides of his neck to give him a kiss....well that didn't go well! The owner had the dog in quarantine and the friend didn't even sue him or ask him to pay for any medical bills, but the guy said he did pay for them (which shows good morals). I never mess with dogs unless they are my own and even then I don't mess with them when I have been drinking.

A kid was messing with a newborn pup right in front of mom who was very aggressive towards everybody but her mom and she bit the kid...wtf...in a sense this comes back to the responsibility of the parents as well, why would you let your kid do such things? LOL and when my nephew tries to even pick up my pup I tell him no that is not safe, etc etc.

If there was more education on "WE DON'T PICK UP PUPPIES OR EVEN SMALL DOGS BECAUSE THEY CAN GET SCARED" less bites would occur in my mind. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts

The story gets worse for the foster home that he went to, as I was the one responsible for him, and I was in hospital, given the fact of the damage caused and that there was no warning given, and that there was children in the house he went to a foster, just because if he could do that to me what could he do to a child, the contact was for less then a minute, but when he went to the foster home he was sat playing with the foster and then went for her, he got her face, her legs, and done some real damage, but it wasn't his fault, rage sydrome is a illness, so I'll never blame him, the same that if a dog had a brain tumour, when there ill there not themselves. And due to the fact that Rage is related to epalipsy there was no way of knowing when he would next have a 'fit' and there was no gaurentee that any medication would work, and I feel that there would be no life for me and my dogs, or anyone else around him, and even him if we allowed him to live on, I mean he was doing damage, and he would get confused and disorientated after the attacks, and he could never be trusted, so with a heavy heart the descision to pts was made after talking to four vets and the foster.

Although I can't believe the parents of that little girl, it should be one of the most important things IMO to teach little kids not to mess about with animals, as the animal and the children could get hurt so easily its stupid for parents to dismiss it.

If it works here is a pic of how we get my little bro to interact with the dogs, he gets involved in teaching them stuff, and he knows how to interact with them to prevent anyone getting hurt, even when he's playing tug o' war with them.

Rubbish quality, but they played like this for over half an hour, I just think that people feel that dogs should be taught to be friendly to children from the age of being puppies, but why do people feel that children do not need to be taught how to interact nicely with dogs from a young age?(one of the boys in that last photo is only 4)

Sorry for the long rant, but kids messing around with animals like how you describe really irks me when the parents do nothing to stop it.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

Pawz...rattlesnake bites...like 90% of them involve alcohol....people get drunk and pick up the snake.:rolleyes:

Chaz, I've heard of Rage and it sounds both terrifying and devistating.

What really boggles me about this little girl is she LIVES with dogs...they breed champion rotties and also own a mastiff and a shnauzer. I was under the impression that she would know how to interact correctly with a dog/cat

As a kid I remember always sitting and waiting for the cat/dog or whatever to come to me. I never pursued an animal...and I especially never hugged them.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Thanks guys.

Pawz...rattlesnake bites...like 90% of them involve alcohol....people get drunk and pick up the snake.:rolleyes:

What really boggles me about this little girl is she LIVES with dogs...they breed champion rotties and also own a mastiff and a shnauzer. I was under the impression that she would know how to interact correctly with a dog/cat

As a kid I remember always sitting and waiting for the cat/dog or whatever to come to me. I never pursued an animal...and I especially never hugged them.
I was the same child you were apparently LOL I never approached any animal, not even a cat... I remember telling other kids who came to my house to "let Baby (my dog growing up) come to you!" "STOP CHASING MY DOG!" etc etc lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks guys.

Rage is that, but I would of also thought that the little girl would know how to interact with animals, espcially as, (and I've got nothing agaisn't them) she lives with such powerful breeds, God if she messed about with one of the rotts or the bull mastiff there could be a lot of damage done in a short space of time, and whose fault would that be :ponder:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Rage is that, but I would of also thought that the little girl would know how to interact with animals, espcially as, (and I've got nothing agaisn't them) she lives with such powerful breeds, God if she messed about with one of the rotts or the bull mastiff there could be a lot of damage done in a short space of time, and whose fault would that be :ponder:
I think part of the problem is the dogs at home grew up with it so their tolerance level is different, but MOM AND DAD should still teach their child that other dogs may not be like their dogs. I see this first hand with my niece and nephew, they can grab at their dog and get in her face but they try and do it to my dogs and my parents dogs when they cant. Mom and dad FINALLY have been trying to teach them this but they are so young they dont get it, my personal opinion is even if the family dog is tolerable of this behavior, it still shouldn't be allowed, this is how accidents happen and family dogs attack the children. If they grab in the wrong spot or the dog is in a funky mood, etc the dog could bite.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Critter has interacted with many children before. She used to come to work with me daily...out in public I've even had kids run up behind me and grab her and pick her up (many many times) now I just carry her.

She is getting old as dirt now, but Iam sure the being messed with/picked up wasn't an issue...I think that when she was squeezed it was painful for her. I'm sure this wasn't a bitchy bite, but a Ow that hurts bite.

Iam proud of my Cat Biscuit for being so understanding. He objected by struggling but didn't bite/scratch her. Perhaps he used to live with kids. My other cat would have taken her face off, simply because she was a strange person restraining him. (He was in the bedroom with Critter)

There was a golden retriever that mauled a little girl when she grabbed its ear, they euthanized the dog, only to find out during the autopsy that the dog had a absolutely raging ear infection :(

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Critter has interacted with many children before. She used to come to work with me daily...out in public I've even had kids run up behind me and grab her and pick her up (many many times) now I just carry her.

She is getting old as dirt now, but Iam sure the being messed with/picked up wasn't an issue...I think that when she was squeezed it was painful for her. I'm sure this wasn't a bitchy bite, but a Ow that hurts bite.

Iam proud of my Cat Biscuit for being so understanding. He objected by struggling but didn't bite/scratch her. Perhaps he used to live with kids. My other cat would have taken her face off, simply because she was a strange person restraining him. (He was in the bedroom with Critter)

There was a golden retriever that mauled a little girl when she grabbed its ear, they euthanized the dog, only to find out during the autopsy that the dog had a absolutely raging ear infection :(
There was one round here worse, again it was a Goldie, it attacked a child, during a autospy guess what they found, a crayon wedged in the dogs ear, my friend done the autospy, she said that she's never felt so sick :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
i agree that most bites are brought on by something the person did. Like my dumb father in law trying to make my noel hold a ball in her mouth when she didnt want to he is lucky I didnt bite him!!! kids should be taught from day one what to do and not do with an animal. And god forbid something happens because the child gets hurt due to the parents being stupid its not the dog, cat, horse pig, goat ect that should be punished.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
It's a hard one. My aunt euthanized her dog when she mauled my cousin-my cousin was OK but the dog had been completely untrustable after my cousin was born and my aunt didn't want her biting another child should she re-home her.

For me, I'm a definite softie. I'm a vegetarian (15 years now) and have been involved with MANY shelters-sooo my opinon likely isn't that of most. I have to say the only reason I would ever have an animal pts is for medical reasons.

My dog has bitten me-Mandy. She's very into resource guarding and has bit me when taking toys/bones off her. Just in the arm, but she does draw blood. People visiting are told not to touch her toys-and she does warn with lots of growling before making contact. It's a liability of course, but our dogs are family.

And my dog Molly bit me when I was a child. It was totally provoked, I was four and thought she would think it was funny if I woke her up by shouting 'wake up' (something I did to my little brother, and being young and dumb thought the dog would 'get it') -she didn't think it was funny and ripped my face open that morning-it was nothing terrible but I did have to go get stitches that morning. I got in trouble for waking Molly up like that.

If my dog, Mikey bit anyone, myself or someone else-I would do what it took-muzzle or extra training. But I would never ever put him to sleep. And if he were ordered destroyed for hurting someone I think I'd flee the country! (I'm so not kidding either!)

·
Registered
822 Posts
If either of mine ever bit me or a member of the family id first look at the situation the dog was in when it bit , both of mine are even tempered, happy go lucky friendly dogs , so for either to bite must mean they felt the situation warranted it , ie they were scared/felt threatened for some reason
If I couldnt see a reason then my next stop would be the vets for a full check-up .... if nothing showed as being a cause for their attitude shift then id simply take extra precautions with them inside and out

The problem would have to be seriously extreme for me to consider pts one of my babies

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a scar on my elbow from my dog biting me, required stitches. I felt NOTHING bad against my dog, at all. He grabbed my arm and shook his head while holding onto me, then let go and ran. Why? Becuase I broke up a dog fight, my much younger and stronger dog was going after him and he was defending himself, he didn't realize, in this super excited state, that it was ME he bit, not the other dog. It was completely my fault I was bit, since I was "stupidly" breaking up the fight (the dog would most likely literally have been killed in this fight, it was NOT the first fight between my elderly dog (he was the instigater) and my young dog who didn't want to take his crap... it WAS the last time those two were EVER let together without one in a crate/xpen or on leash... those fights before this last straw ended up in the vet ER several times!) Granted, there are better ways to break up a fight (MUCH better lol) but in the moment my brain did not function as it should have and I just reacted... much like my dog's bite to me!

Next day ACC came out (since I went to the hospital for treatment, it was of course reported) and asked what my plans were for my dog that bit me: did I want to keep him? Of COURSE I did! He's a great dog who was in an unfortunate situation with me in the middle ;)

Oh and by the way, my dog crossed the rainbow bridge just over two years ago (pancreatic cancer at age 12, he was a large breed so good life I think) and I am greatful, in a way, for that scar. It's my lifelong reminder of my best friend (he was my special dog, best dog I've ever had and probably ever will have). It's like I always have a piece of him with me... and much more personal than a tattoo of his name or something ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts