Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do you mean by predominant breed?

If mom was German Shepherd and dad was Greyhound your pup is 50% of each.

Cute pup. Enjoy him as is and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree , if you know both parents then its a 50—50 mix. If your talking about appearence, he doesnt have a verry pradomanint look of either breed.

Reactions: aimeezeta

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I agree. "Predominant" means which is stronger, and if he is a 50/50 cross then they are equal. But I would say he *looks* more like a Greyhound. However his personality might be more GSD, Greyhound or a mix of both. He's an interesting looking guy! He'll probably be really big.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Until he gets older there's really no telling which breeds characteristics he'll most display.

My boy is a Dachshund x Chihuahua. Mother was a pure breed Dachshund, father was a Chihuahua but might not have been pure bred. He looks like a rat terrier, longer legs like a Chi, chest of a Dach, ears of a Chi, longer muzzle but not as long as a Dach. His personality is a grand mix up of both breeds he's got the Chi shake down when he's scared, or anxious, is more independent like a Dach, but does not dig or burrow like you'd expect a Dach to do.

That's the problem with mixes, and my boy is a mix he's not some new breed called a Chiweenie, there's no telling what traits will come to the front, the brother or sister of your puppy may display a completely different set of traits.

Your pup is completely adorable and I bet you'll have fun finding out just how he turns out.

This is my Chi x Dach,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for all your comments! The only reason why I was wondering is because we're changing insurance providers and one of the questions was which was his predominant breed since he is a cross breed!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree. "Predominant" means which is stronger, and if he is a 50/50 cross then they are equal. But I would say he *looks* more like a Greyhound. However his personality might be more GSD, Greyhound or a mix of both. He's an interesting looking guy! He'll probably be really big.
Yeah I thought that too! Until when we were changing insurance providers & they were asking which was his predominant breed!! I would definitely agree that he looks more Greyhound, but a bit more stockier. As for his personality it's more GSD in my opinion, but he's such a character & I love learning more about him each day :) He's going to be huge! He's grown so much already!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I would say more Greyhound as some places have German Shepherds on their banned list and he is short haired and looks more Greyhound.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
For insurance then def say Greyhound as GSDs have a lot more health issues and might give you a higher premium

1 - 9 of 9 Posts